By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the point in having children?

Sustaining humanity would be the technical reason, but cmon no one actually cares about that. Maybe sustaining their own family name or some egotistical nonsense like that. The way I see it, there's very few good reasons to create more humans. One positive I could see be more social opportunities, but surely the spouse and friends should be enough. There is no reason one needs to experience having a child, and even then, I think adoption is better. Potentially helps those who's unfortunate existence is too late to prevent. Of course I would have a negative view on this given my upbringing, so perhaps that's keeping me from seeing the point.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Sustaining humanity would be the technical reason, but cmon no one actually cares about that. Maybe sustaining their own family name or some egotistical nonsense like that. The way I see it, there's very few good reasons to create more humans. One positive I could see be more social opportunities, but surely the spouse and friends should be enough. There is no reason one needs to experience having a child, and even then, I think adoption is better. Potentially helps those who's unfortunate existence is too late to prevent. Of course I would have a negative view on this given my upbringing, so perhaps that's keeping me from seeing the point.

If we reach medicine which allows us to live nearly infinite we actually could have only few kids. So let's advance medicine. Or transhumanism. Dunno which will bring the answer.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I ask my mother this every day.

Why mom. Why.

I think you need to become a parent to be able to answer that question

Mnementh said:

If we reach medicine which allows us to live nearly infinite we actually could have only few kids. So let's advance medicine. Or transhumanism. Dunno which will bring the answer.

We could already sustain humanity by having 2-3 kids, with immortality we wouldn't need to have any, but that'll never happen of course.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I ask my mother this every day.

Why mom. Why.

You should seriously ask her and tell us the answer.

Around the Network

I think some people have more children to get more government money.

melbye said:
I think you need to become a parent to be able to answer that question

Why? It's not like having a child gifts you with exclusive knowledge that can't be comprehended otherwise. Though I believe there are some parents on this site, hopefully they'll weigh in.

Kslost said:
I think some people have more children to get more government money.

Dang that's evil. How many children would you need to have?

Lonely_Dolphin said:

Why? It's not like having a child gifts you with exclusive knowledge that can't be comprehended otherwise.

It does, though.

You can't comprehend what it's like to have children if you don't have them. (And I mean wanted children, not unwanted unplanned accidents.) Same with love. You won't know what it exactly is until you feel it. Or a near-death experience. You can read a lot about them, but unless you have one yourself you don't really know what it is.

As to "what's the point", I don't know either. It's in our nature, I guess.

But what I do know is that I love my son more than anything and it makes my day when he just randomly pops into my room to hug me and says "I love you, dad." It's wholesome and just feels great.

Of course you can live without that. No discussion there.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

There are a lot of things that don't really have a point, I mean we are on a video game site, literally something that has even less of a point than having children.

People have kids because they can and it's been natural to continue with your family for a long time, humans don't want to be alone and like having others to care about or share time. In any case, there are many like you that don't like the idea and it's perfectly fine. Personally having children is not a priority in my life at all at the moment either, but that may change.

To feel alive and have a purpose in life.