By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: Smash Ultimate sold 3M+ in 11 days in US,Pokemon Let's go 2M+

My prediction for first month sales was 9m but it looks like it possibly will do that in its first 2 weeks.



Around the Network

Geez, I am reading these replies scratching my head at this drama. How many times a company or a news site used the NPD data early to issue an statement of something doing great. Even if it was NPD itself giving the statement, why is this an issue now.



Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

colafitte said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

So...I think you've gotten to the root of your problems here. If you notice, the only data that's actually confirmed to be from NPD is the Switch sales data (8.7 million for its first 21 months) and Nintendo being the top software publisher for 2018 so far.

The rest of the data (software sales and all) should be assumed to come from Nintendo itself, as it is likely that they are adding digital sales to the retail sales estimates given by NPD (which is definitely the case for that first eleven days sales data for Smash Ultimate).

In other words, you're taking offense at the thread title being inaccurate (as it should read Nintendo instead of NPD).

No, the problem comes from the very first paragraph of the artile and the "according to NPD line". The rest is fine.

"According to" can mean anything you want it to mean.

Maybe the NPD report said (i'm making PS4 and Xone numbers up for the example):

"Switch LTD: 8.7 mill

in the same time frame:

PS4: 8.4mil

Xbone: 8.0mill"

Then nintendo saw that and said: "Hey we'are the fastest in the same time frame, great, let's put that on the PR"

So it's just how you use the report and what fits best your point. Numbers can say anything you want.



colafitte said:
SpokenTruth said:

Let me try this again because I don't think you got it the fist time.

 

This is a PRESS RELEASE from Nintendo that was posted by Business Wire (a press release distributor) that contains information Nintendo requested from NPD for the press release.

Did you even click the damn link in the original post? No, of course not or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm really tired of the way you always talk to me, really..., reaaaaaaaaly tired. I read the article, its first paragraph clearly says ACCORDING TO NPD GROUP....bla, bla, bla. It's as if a read a newspaper and says..."according to Donald Trump the earth is flat". Is not the newspaper who's saying that....or maybe are fake news and he indeed not said that ant the blame is on the newspaper for quoting wrong.

But your pissed that NPD provided information that Nintendo asked for.  Sony could have asked NPD if PS4 was the fasted selling console through the generation every single month....but they didn't.  You get talked to this way because you have a hard time wrapping your head around simple issues.  Nobody else in this thread is having this problem but you.  This suggests you are either reading way too deeply into something that isn't there or are personally bothered by the news itself (or both).

It goes like this....

Nintendo: Hey, NPD.  We are preparing our monthly NPD based PR. Was Switch the fastest selling console for this generation?
NPD: Yes.
*Nintendo releases PR stating NPD called Switch the fasted selling console this generation*

But you are acting like NPD went out of its way by waiting for Switch to take a lead so it can marginalize Sony for Nintendo's benefit.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

p0isonparadise said:
Acevil said:

Actually these numbers aren't confusing at all. We know based on NPD that the switch is above 8.7 million. 

Plus the following: 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe > 5 million
Super Mario Odyssey > 4.7 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild > 4 million
Smash Ultimate > 3 million (first eleven days)
Pokémon Let's Go > 2 million
Super Mario Party > 1.4 million

They aren't, but colafitte is confused about the PR in general. Which makes this even more hilarious.

So "according" to you, is this an NPD PR, a Bussinesswire article, a Nintendo PR, some of them, all of them, none of them? because you using your condescending humor doesn't help me at all to surpass my poor "confusing" mind.



Around the Network
Stuart23 said:
Geez, I am reading these replies scratching my head at this drama. How many times a company or a news site used the NPD data early to issue an statement of something doing great. Even if it was NPD itself giving the statement, why is this an issue now.

Bc its not about sony doing well ( eventho we know sony is doing great )



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Gratz Nintendo. Impressive numbers.

And this thread is going downhill pretty fast 😂



colafitte said:
p0isonparadise said:

They aren't, but colafitte is confused about the PR in general. Which makes this even more hilarious.

So "according" to you, is this an NPD PR, a Bussinesswire article, a Nintendo PR, some of them, all of them, none of them? because you using your condescending humor doesn't help me at all to surpass my poor "confusing" mind.

This is a press release by Nintendo. This isn't rocket science, cola.



DÈlioPT said:
Soundwave said:
Just goes to show, Nintendo is gonna sell tons of Switchs and they don't need a Labo to do that (notice how there is zero mention in this PR on its sales while Nintendo cites several other games, all their traditional IP).

Didn't even think of LABO… but curious, isn't it?

 

On topic: 

Amazing Smash sales!
Last time Nintendo talked about Switch sales for the US, was on November 28th, where it reported 8.2M. Today, it's claiming 8.7M.
Is this good? I honestly can' t say.

Same time frame goes for Pokémon Let's Go, where it was at 1.5M and now sits at 2M.
Doesn't sound all that good to me, but maybe it's just me.

Article: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/11/pokemon_lets_go_sales_hit_1_5_million_in_us_alone_super_mario_party_surpasses_1_million

Yes, it´s just you. 



"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

SpokenTruth said:
colafitte said:

I'm really tired of the way you always talk to me, really..., reaaaaaaaaly tired. I read the article, its first paragraph clearly says ACCORDING TO NPD GROUP....bla, bla, bla. It's as if a read a newspaper and says..."according to Donald Trump the earth is flat". Is not the newspaper who's saying that....or maybe are fake news and he indeed not said that ant the blame is on the newspaper for quoting wrong.

But your pissed that NPD provided information that Nintendo asked for.  Sony could have asked NPD if PS4 was the fasted selling console through the generation every single month....but they didn't.  You get talked to this way because you have a hard time wrapping your head around simple issues.  Nobody else in this thread is having this problem but you.  This suggests you are either reading way too deeply into something that isn't there or are personally bothered by the news itself (or both).

It goes like this....

Nintendo: Hey, NPD.  We are preparing our monthly NPD based PR. Was Switch the fastest selling console for this generation?
NPD: Yes.
*Nintendo releases PR stating NPD called Switch the fasted selling console this generation*

But you are acting like NPD went out of its way by waiting for Switch to take a lead so it can marginalize Sony for Nintendo's benefit.

This is the very first post, trying really to convince i'm wrong, so i congratulate you. OK, you're right in this. 

But the problem still remains. This news will be read as "NPD says..." instead of what should be "Nintendo announces.....", and that's my problem. Is not confusing at all, you all know it will happen in every gaming site. "NPD says.....".

You still have to convince me that Switch is a current gen system though....