By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: Smash Ultimate sold 3M+ in 11 days in US,Pokemon Let's go 2M+

Mbolibombo said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Soooo basically Halo 3 sold twice as quickly as Smash did?

Still impressive but this handicaps the real competition for #1 spot. Now it's guaranteed. 

I believe the NPD tracking period for the Halo 3 record setting month was a few days in to October and it had 10-11 days of tracking to get there.

Train wreck said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Soooo basically Halo 3 sold twice as quickly as Smash did?

Still impressive but this handicaps the real competition for #1 spot. Now it's guaranteed. 

No, the NPD reporting period for September 2007 was Sept 2nd to October 6th, the game released on September 25th so it had 11 days of tracking.  Smash has the benefit of launching earlier in the month and in December, nothing to take away from its sales (Smash will have 29 days of tracking for December's NPD).

I wasn't trying to take away from Smash intentionally, this is why I asked beforehand. Because if Halo 3 only had 5 days of tracking to get to 3.3 mil, it would have sold essentially twice as fast as Smash, which didn't sound right considering Nintendo's recent U.S. records streak. It's odd that both have exactly 11 days tracked so far. 

But either way this is great news! This means it should win the first FULL month of sales fair and square. Sales through December will be more consistent. 

Still wish we got a FULL month of data to see how close or far the other exclusives are in the U.S.

Around the Network

Excellent numbers. I was very confident Ultimate would sell a bare minimum of 3 million in December. I wonder if it can make it to 4 million before the end of the month.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Excellent numbers. I was very confident Ultimate would sell a bare minimum of 3 million in December. I wonder if it can make it to 4 million before the end of the month.

Has 18days left pf tracking so its guaranteed. Better Q is how much higher

StarDoor said:
DélioPT said:

Didn't even think of LABO… but curious, isn't it?

On topic: 

Amazing Smash sales!
Last time Nintendo talked about Switch sales for the US, was on November 28th, where it reported 8.2M. Today, it's claiming 8.7M.

Is this good? I honestly can' t say.

Same time frame goes for Pokémon Let's Go, where it was at 1.5M and now sits at 2M.
Doesn't sound all that good to me, but maybe it's just me.

Article: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/11/pokemon_lets_go_sales_hit_1_5_million_in_us_alone_super_mario_party_surpasses_1_million

If you read the article, you would know that it's 8.7M at the end of the November NPD period, or December 1st.

Didn't read it correctly…

So, this 500K is for how many days, then?

SpokenTruth said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Untrue. 

The video game crash counts as a separate generation.  That explains why it "appears" that some of those consoles were in the same generation.  Truth is that Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800 were all in a different generation.  Each one was meant to be the successor to the previous one.  But Atari 5200 was the console of the "crash generation" so it incorrectly gets lumped in with generation 2.

The second situation where it seems like their are 2 consoles in the same generation is when their are two product lines.  Like we could say Nintendo had the SNES and Gameboy in the same generation, but those are obviously two different product lines.  So you could also have Atari ST and Atari 7800 released close together, but those are also two different product lines.

The third situation is when a console is canceled prematurely after 1-2 years, like the Virtual Boy or the Sega SG-1000.  In this case you can have two consoles in the same generation, because the first one was canceled very prematurely.  On the other hand Switch was released 6 years after 3DS.  That is a normal generation.  Switch was also released about 4.5 years after the Wii U.  That also is normal for a generation.  Historically, 4-7 years is the normal time frame for a generation.  

Bottom line is that Switch is in the next generation.  The term is not an arbitrary construct.  A typical console grows, peaks, declines, and then spawns a successor while continuing to decline.  This repeated pattern is very analogous to a that of a living organism (or group of organisms) so it is called a "console generation".  It's a simple way to describe a set of complex phenomena.  People use the term generation, so they can make sense of it all.  And originally the term was used to simply tell customers, "hey guys we have another console coming out."  By any reasonable definition of a console generation, the Switch is generation 9.  

The Atari 2600 and 5200 are considered the same generation precisely because of the crash and how it affected the US and Japanese markets.  Yes, the 7800 is 3rd generation.  I never suggested otherwise.

I'm not talking about the Atari 7800 and Atari ST but the 7800 and the XEGS.

Your third situation doesn't exempt the fact they released 2 consoles in the same generation.  Especially with your Sega example.  The SG-1000 wasn't canceled like we normally see but was simply replaced by newer models.  The SG-1000 II a year later and the Mark III the year after which is technically the Master System which is why they have 2 consoles in the same generation.  Technically, you could call it 3 consoles.....or possibly 3 iterations of a generation 2 console.

Bottom line is that generations are typically delineated by a competing time frame denoted by the release of flagship successor consoles.  But again, it is that competing time frame that is the prime delineator and the one used by the industry since the late 1970s.

The Atari 5200 was meant to be a next generation console.  It was the successor to the Atari 2600, and it was released 5 years later.  It was the successor to Atari's first console in the same way that the SNES, PS2 and XBox360 were considered successors to their companies' first consoles.  It is thrown in with generation 2, because it is hard to classify consoles around the video game crash. 

And this should be a reality check on how we understand generations.  If our definition depends on generation 2 and 3, then we need to seriously rethink our definition of generation.  Generations 2 and 3 was the most unusual time in console history because of the video game crash (and also generation 1 was really weird too).  Why not base our definition from generations 4 - 8?  That should be where our understanding of generation comes from before we try to explain the special cases from generations 1 - 3.

In the typical cases, a company releases a console and then 4 - 7 years later they release a successor.  That is the next generation.  That is the standard situation where you don't have a crash or a horrible failure like the Virtual Boy.  Why define things based on the special cases instead of the typical situation?

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The Atari 5200 was meant to be a next generation console.  It was the successor to the Atari 2600, and it was released 5 years later.  It was the successor to Atari's first console in the same way that the SNES, PS2 and XBox360 were considered successors to their companies' first consoles.  It is thrown in with generation 2, because it is hard to classify consoles around the video game crash. 

And this should be a reality check on how we understand generations.  If our definition depends on generation 2 and 3, then we need to seriously rethink our definition of generation.  Generations 2 and 3 was the most unusual time in console history because of the video game crash (and also generation 1 was really weird too).  Why not base our definition from generations 4 - 8?  That should be where our understanding of generation comes from before we try to explain the special cases from generations 1 - 3.

In the typical cases, a company releases a console and then 4 - 7 years later they release a successor.  That is the next generation.  That is the standard situation where you don't have a crash or a horrible failure like the Virtual Boy.  Why define things based on the special cases instead of the typical situation?

Because it's not defined by either.  I just told you how the industry defines it.

Switch is meant to succeed both the Wii U and 3DS as defined by Nintendo.  That makes it next gen.  It is a generation 9 system.

So, retail sold only? Not including all ship+digital numbers?
man, this thing is huge

The_Liquid_Laser said: 
SpokenTruth said: 

Because it's not defined by either.  I just told you how the industry defines it.

Switch is meant to succeed both the Wii U and 3DS as defined by Nintendo.  That makes it next gen.  It is a generation 9 system.

So you're saying the 9th gen has begun, and that Nintendo decided when it would happen?  But what if, hypothetically, a Switch successor comes in 2-3 years--only one year after the other consoles?  This is the danger of letting one console define the generations.

I think the generation confusion here is because there are two definitions of "generation".  There are video game generations (1-8) that are defined by specific time frames, or eras, similarly to how with humanity we define baby boomers, Gen X, millennials, etc based on when people were born.  But there's also each console company's generations (eg, NES->SNES->N64->Gamecube->Wii->WiiU->Switch).  I feel it's possible for a successive console to be in the same generation as its predecessor, the same way that a person who's an early millennial can have a kid that's also a millennial if the parent was young and both were born in the same era.

Right now, we can say the Switch is an 8th gen console because it's existing alongside the other 8th gen consoles.  If it continues for many years into the 9th gen (likely starting whenever the next PS and Xbox release), then the Switch would essentially bridge the generations, and may end up being considered 9th gen if it lives long enough into that generation.

Last edited by kenjab - on 18 December 2018

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

jonathanalis said:
man, this thing is huge

correct

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:
jonathanalis said:
man, this thing is huge

correct

Its sold so digital included