By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Where are you from?

Where are you from?

North America 41 31.06%

South America 16 12.12%

Africa 2 1.52%

Europe 55 41.67%

Asia 6 4.55%

Australia 4 3.03%

Antarctica 1 0.76%

I'm from a little island ... 7 5.30%

Total:132
melbye said:

Agreed, would never ever consider myself a European.

Nogamez said:

Britain, but as that wasnt on there, and dont consider my self "European"" i voted for a little island not on poll

At the risk of starting someting, which I don’t want to because I don’t really want to derail the thread, I can’t help but mention I’ll never understand this mentality of a lot of British people.

I can understand not feeling “European” in the sense of not feeling part of the EU or part of the same family of peoples as the mainland because you’re kind of isolated, but geographically you are undeniably a part of Europe. You live on a piece of land that’s part of the continent of Europe. You live in Europe. It’s like if people from Corsica would say they’re not European. Heck most Russians live in Europe.

Around the Network

Farmington Hills Michigan. Burbs of Detroit. 15 years in Phoenix AZ and Ft Lauderdale FL now.

Tiny town (a village really) in Newfoundland, Canada

VAMatt said:
SuperRetroTurbo said:
America, in my honest and humble opinion, is for the rich. If you want a peaceful life, it's going to cost you...but I'm not sure other places can claim otherwise.

I think I agree with your underlying point.  American culture places a higher than average value on financial success, where success means increasing your net worth.  So, this leads a lot of people to devote more time than they otherwise might to making money, furthering their career, and other things along that line.  On the flip side, if you are not motivated to chase dollars, a significant portion of the population may view you in a less favorable light.  This, in turn, can lead to self esteem issues, difficulty finding a mate, and other things like that.

On the other hand, that drive for financial success has done a lot to push humankind forward. We live a very good life in the United States in many respects, and much of the rest of the world is also seeing the benefit of Americans moving things forward.  So, it's a double-edged sword.

Back to your point, I agree that life here can be tough on people that either don't have the drive or don't have the ability to make a lot of money.  And that's unfortunate.

And, yeah, I think much of the "developed" world is the same way, though often times to a lesser degree.

I would never deny anyone's drive in life. Especially considering the sheer amount of those who don't contribute back into the system. Capitalism, in my mind, should be the standard for any economy. 

We take so much for granted. Even money, ironically and we don't generally speak on how money and the drive for it, has drastically altered human kinds genetic make-up. 

I was fortunate to come from the dirt before becoming relatively successful. I lived in a beautiful home that dwarfed the apartment complex I once occupied and I can tell you this.

Money. Does. Not. Buy. Happiness.

I'm trying not to stray around here but you got my wires connected. I'm very curious of the posts in this thread.

I'd like to believe there are places where people aren't so critical of a persons assets and more concerned with the persons genuine intent for those around them.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Europe.

Around the Network

From and currently living in New Jersey, United States

Three hours north of E3.

Originally Rotterdam aswell

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

BraLoD said:
Planeta Terra.

I was going to jab at some of the continental-only answers in here, and suggest they might as well just say Earth. You've ruined Christmas.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

melbye said:
COKTOE said:

An Americophile eh? Well, of all the "phile's" one could be, it's not the worst. Oslo looks like an awesome city. I've wanted to live there for a while now. It'll never happen, but the desire is there.

I think Americophile is very much an apt description of what i am.

Nogamez said:

Britain, but as that wasnt on there, and dont consider my self "European"" i voted for a little island not on poll

Agreed, would never ever consider myself a European.

Im curious. Why do some Brits not consider themselves European?