By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
JRPGfan said:

UK got alot of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccines.... by partly screwing over the EU.

Now it turns out, its only 10% effective against the South African variant of Covid19.

10%!!! thats like nothing.

And to make matters worse, theres now community spread of the South African variant inside the UK.
Another month or two, and it ll probably be the dominant variant, and un-do all the good work the UK did with getting so many vaccinated.

my god, that makes the AZ vaccine literally useless

countries should shift focus to the Pfizer vaccine as well as inverstigating all other vaccines - including Russian and Chinese, while AZ halts production and looks how to upgrade their vaccine

Better wait for better analysis about the AZ vaccine. If I'm not wrong it is 10% for mild cases, it is still very viable vs deadly or serious cases.

AZ is already working on a new version of the vaccine which would cover the new variants and it is supposed to be available during autumn. Also I read today that most likely the SA variant will not become the dominant in UK. This will be a vaccine that we will have to take every year probably, updated with the new mutations that will certainly occur.

Now I just dont get why UK just dont shut the borders. It's an island and we should be able to apply the same strategy new zealand and australia applied.

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
JRPGfan said:

Now it turns out, its only 10% effective against the South African variant of Covid19.

And to make matters worse, theres now community spread of the South African variant inside the UK.
Another month or two, and it ll probably be the dominant variant, and un-do all the good work the UK did with getting so many vaccinated.

countries should shift focus to the Pfizer vaccine as well as inverstigating all other vaccines - including Russian and Chinese, while AZ halts production and looks how to upgrade their vaccine

While the vaccine cost is comparable to the others, Pfizer vaccine is horribly expensive to store and ship, due to its very low conservation temperature (the freezers it needs cost one or two orders of magnitude more than a common freezer, and their electricity bill too), any more viable alternative will be welcome.

EnricoPallazzo said:

[...]

Better wait for better analysis about the AZ vaccine. If I'm not wrong it is 10% for mild cases, it is still very viable vs deadly or serious cases.

AZ is already working on a new version of the vaccine which would cover the new variants and it is supposed to be available during autumn. Also I read today that most likely the SA variant will not become the dominant in UK. This will be a vaccine that we will have to take every year probably, updated with the new mutations that will certainly occur.

Now I just dont get why UK just dont shut the borders. It's an island and we should be able to apply the same strategy new zealand and australia applied.

This. Once the vaccination program will go full steam everywhere, then the pandemic will be controllable like seasonal flu ones and even nasty variants will just need to focus more on the protection of people at higher risk.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

While the vaccine cost is comparable to the others, Pfizer vaccine is horribly expensive to store and ship, due to its very low conservation temperature (the freezers it needs cost one or two orders of magnitude more than a common freezer, and their electricity bill too), any more viable alternative will be welcome.

EnricoPallazzo said:

[...]

This. Once the vaccination program will go full steam everywhere, then the pandemic will be controllable like seasonal flu ones and even nasty variants will just need to focus more on the protection of people at higher risk.

Yes. And even the AZ 10% vaccine still protects against severe and deadly cases, requiring no hospitalizations which is the main problem. More and more companies are producing the vaccine therefore even shortage problems will be gone in the near future. I'm optmistic for the first time about the pandemic.

JRPGfan said:

UK got alot of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccines.... by partly screwing over the EU. - Not true

Now it turns out, its only 10% effective against the South African variant of Covid19. - Not true

10%!!! thats like nothing. - Not true

Another month or two, and it ll probably be the dominant variant, and un-do all the good work the UK did with getting so many vaccinated. - Not true

There should be laws against this level of misinformation.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Oxford/Astra Zeneca is ineffective against mutant strains of the virus, it only works against classic COVID. Mutant strains of Corona Virus will kill millions n 2021. Vaccines will be ineffective against mutant strains.

It makes no sense to rush out vaccines that are unlikely to be effective against mutant strains of the virus. This virus has already killed millions and it will kill millions more people worldwide as the Pandemic continues to spread death upon the world. It usually takes years to implement effective vaccines to combat viruses. 

Last edited by Phoenix20 - on 09 February 2021

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
JRPGfan said:

I saw a video by John Campbell going over the data from the Russian vaccine.
Tbh it looks like its pretty solid.

Its 91,6% effective against the normal/british variant of covid19, with patients under 65.
Its 91,8% effective against the normal/british variant of covid19, with patients over 65.
Results show that "abnormal reactions" (people that claim to notice something after the jab) is lower, than with the placebo.
(0,3%).

It looks solid enough (ei. it works) and its safe.

No idea if it works against the south african version of the strain (or how well).
Pfizer and moderna, both do to a degree, but not as well as against the normal strain (though still much higher than 10%, like in the 80%+ range).

If I was going to get a jab right now, I would want one of the two, thats shown to work against not just the normal strain/british variant, but also one thats effective against the south african one. Otherwise, its likely down the road you would need to get another jab of vaccines.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 09 February 2021

Pyro as Bill said:
JRPGfan said:

1) UK got alot of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccines.... by partly screwing over the EU. - Not true

2) Now it turns out, its only 10% effective against the South African variant of Covid19. - Not true

3) 10%!!! thats like nothing. - Not true

4) And to make matters worse, theres now community spread of the South African variant inside the UK.
Another month or two, and it ll probably be the dominant variant, and un-do all the good work the UK did with getting so many vaccinated. - Not true

There should be laws against this level of misinformation.

1) AZ was pressured into not giveing vaccines to EU, from british factories. When they screwed up production in EU.
They had a contract for X amount, and failed to deliver (instead only promising 1/4th or so).
Meanwhile, they could give the UK MORE than they had promised them.
Coincidence that production goes wrong in EU? and suddenly they cant ship EU as many as they promised while the UK is getting more?
(to me, that seems like UK screwing over the EU)

2)  https://www.bt.dk/samfund/live-foelg-med-i-coronasituationen-minut-for-minut

Translates to "live follow along, with developements in the corona situtation minuet for minuet"

in there, from yesterday theres this peice of text:

"Oxford-vaccinen er næsten virkningsløs mod sydafrikansk variant: 'Det er ret skræmmende'

I Sydafrika har man valgt midlertidigt at stoppe med brugen af vaccinen fra Oxford/AstraZeneca, da et ministudie har vist, at vaccinen har en meget svækket effekt mod den sydafrikanske virus, der for tiden menes at stå bag omkring 90 procent af alle nysmittede i landet.

Mens det endnu er usikkert, om vaccinen dog kan beskytte mod svær sygdom hos de vaccinerede, ser den ifølge ministudiet kun ud til at have en effektivitet på omkring 10 procent mod den sydafrikanske mutation. 

Det kalder den danske vaccineekspert Morten Agertoug Nielsen, der er lektor ved Institut for Immunologi og Mikrobiologi på Københavns Universitet, for 'ret skræmmende':

- Jeg havde ikke forventet at se beskyttelsen falde så meget, og det er egentlig ret skræmmende, siger han.

Han mener, at det efter alt at dømme er en særlig mutation eller genetisk forandring, der giver vaccinen problemerne.

Problemerne er dog ikke større, end at de kan løses, forklarer Morten Agertoug Nielsen. Man kan opdatere vaccinen ved at indkorporere mutanten - men det vil være dyrt, og det vil højst sandsynligt kræve et nyt fase 3-forsøg."

^

Says:  "Mens det endnu er usikkert, om vaccinen dog kan beskytte mod svær sygdom hos de vaccinerede, ser den ifølge ministudiet kun ud til at have en effektivitet på omkring 10 procent mod den sydafrikanske mutation. "

(tranlated) While its still uncertaint, if the vaccine still offers protection against serious illness with the vaccinated, so far from studies done, it looks to have only a effectiveness of around 10 percent against the south afraican mutation.

(the study data, comes from South Africa, were the main strain is that version, and they have used AZ vaccines)

They expect it might protect against seriously ilness, but theres no data to show it so far.
Studies say it only offers 10% effectiveness against it (catching the south african varient).

This basically means, theres still a 90% chance a person vaccinated with AZ vaccine, can catch this african version.

3) "10%!!! thats like nothing. - Not true"

I read in the paper, it says its only 10% effective in terms of protection yesterday.
Are you saying that the number is not true? or that 10% being near nothing is not true?
I feel like a 90% chance to still catch a virus, is as good as nothing.

4) "And to make matters worse, theres now community spread of the South African variant inside the UK.
Another month or two, and it ll probably be the dominant variant, and un-do all the good work the UK did with getting so many vaccinated. - Not true"

They have found people infected with it, that werent people that travelled resently.
What do you call that if not "community spread" ?
Sure its a very low % of all the covid going around but its there.

Also, if AZ vaccine offers protection against the normal strain and the UK variant..... but only 10% against the south african strain..... it doesnt take a rocket scientist to imagine that soon, the african strain will be the dominant version in the Uk.

just for the record,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/09/a-series-of-knocks-oxfordastrazenecas-bumpy-road-to-covid-vaccine-confidence

"The latest blow to the vaccine’s public image has been the small trial in just over 2,000 people under age 40 in South Africa. It found “minimal protection” – later said to be 10% – against mild to moderate disease caused by the variant. South Africa announced it was pausing its rollout of the vaccine and will give it to 100,000 people step by step, watching to see if anyone ends up in hospital.

No one was severely ill, hospitalised or died, but the worry is that these were younger people, so less likely to get seriously ill. Oxford/AstraZeneca point to all the trial data showing that nobody has been seriously ill after getting their vaccine (or any of the others) and experts believe the protection is still there against the variant. Once more, however, confidence in the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is likely to take a knock, whether or not it is justified."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55975052

"Prof Madhi said the study had not been able to investigate the vaccine's efficacy in preventing more serious infections, as participants had an average age of 31 and so did not represent the demographic most at risk of severe symptoms from the virus."

https://www.ft.com/content/e9bbd4fe-e6bf-4383-bfd3-be64140a3f36

"AstraZeneca initially declined to comment. It later said it had not been able to properly ascertain the effect of the vaccine on severe disease and hospitalisation caused by the South African variant in the study given most of the participants were young, healthy adults"

@Pyro as Bill and @EnricoPallazo you can't claim that the vaccine protects against serious illness, we'll have to wait and see

I agree with Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Greece, Spain, Denmark, The Netherlands, Sweden, Poland, Austria, Norway on limiting the AZ vaccine to the under 55/65s

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

just for the record,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/09/a-series-of-knocks-oxfordastrazenecas-bumpy-road-to-covid-vaccine-confidence

"The latest blow to the vaccine’s public image has been the small trial in just over 2,000 people under age 40 in South Africa. It found “minimal protection” – later said to be 10% – against mild to moderate disease caused by the variant. South Africa announced it was pausing its rollout of the vaccine and will give it to 100,000 people step by step, watching to see if anyone ends up in hospital.

No one was severely ill, hospitalised or died, but the worry is that these were younger people, so less likely to get seriously ill. Oxford/AstraZeneca point to all the trial data showing that nobody has been seriously ill after getting their vaccine (or any of the others) and experts believe the protection is still there against the variant. Once more, however, confidence in the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is likely to take a knock, whether or not it is justified."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55975052

"Prof Madhi said the study had not been able to investigate the vaccine's efficacy in preventing more serious infections, as participants had an average age of 31 and so did not represent the demographic most at risk of severe symptoms from the virus."

https://www.ft.com/content/e9bbd4fe-e6bf-4383-bfd3-be64140a3f36

"AstraZeneca initially declined to comment. It later said it had not been able to properly ascertain the effect of the vaccine on severe disease and hospitalisation caused by the South African variant in the study given most of the participants were young, healthy adults"

@Pyro as Bill and @EnricoPallazo you can't claim that the vaccine protects against serious illness, we'll have to wait and see

I agree with Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Greece, Spain, Denmark, The Netherlands, Sweden, Poland, Austria, Norway on limiting the AZ vaccine to the under 55/65s

Thanks Dark Ghost Boy, for backing me up, with confirmation of what I said.
(The 10% protection numbers)

Yes, actually the part about under 65's.... thats not even for the new South African variant, but for the old one/uk variant.
AZ never gave out decent study data to show, it actually works or helps the elderly.

Which is why EU said, we just dont know... theres no proof it does what they claim.
It makes sense, you dont just assume the best, out of these drug companies that want to sell you vaccines.
You go with what you know for a fact.

Lot of Corona talk in here. Moving to a different topic:

Amsterdam edges ahead of London as Europe's top share trading hub

Amsterdam edged ahead of London to become Europe’s biggest share trading centre in January, benefiting from Brexit forcing European Union investors to use platforms inside the bloc.
Exchanges in the Dutch capital traded 9.2 billion euros ($11.15 billion) a day in January, more than London’s 8.6 billion euros, according to figures from Cboe Europe exchange, which operates in both cities.
This compares with an average of 17.5 billion euros traded daily in London during 2020, when Frankfurt was second with 5.9 billion euros a day, and Amsterdam sixth at 2.6 billion daily, Cboe said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-markets/amsterdam-surpasses-london-as-europes-top-share-trading-hub-ft-idUSKBN2AB0I8?il=0

Wasn't mentioned in the article but looked it up and previous 2nd place Frankfurt increased from 5.9bn in 2020 to 6.7bn in January 2021.