By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Crash Team Racing beat Mario Kart at its own game

Nothing will ever beat Double Dash, not even Sonic All Stars Racing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Sahib said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not even close:

-PS1: Crash Bandicoot and Crash Bandicoot Racing

-PS2: Jak and Daxter, Jak X: Combat Racing

-PS3: Uncharted and Last of Us

-PS4: Uncharted and Last of US

Now try to compare that with Rare just on N64 platform:

-Killer Instinct Gold

-Blast Corps

-GoldenEye 007

-Banjo-Kazooie

-Diddy Kong Racing

-Jet Force Gemini

-Donkey Kong 64

-Conker's Bad Fur Day

-Perfect Dark

-Mickey's Speedway

Rare just on N64 have more diverse games than Naughty Dog last 4 generations combined.

But what I find very impressive about Naughty Dog is they went from Crash Bandicoot to Last of US.

You clearly missed the “critically acclaimed blockbusters” part, I’m sure there’s devs out there who’ve tried their hands at many different genres, especially back in the day when it took only a couple months to make a game. Point is none of them put out 90+ rated titles in so many different genres and set sales records on top of it.

No I am not, most of game that I mentioned are critically acclaimed games and "90+ rated titlesPerfect Dark is 97 rated title, GoldenEye 007 is 96 rated title, Banjo Kazooie is 92 rated title, Conker's Bad Fur Day is 92 rated title, Donkey Kong 64 is 92 rated title, Blast Corps is 92 rated title, and we talking about games for just one platform. In another hand, Naughty Dog in 4 generations has only 3 IPs with 90+ metascore, Jak and Dexter, Uncharted and Last of Us.

Sahib said:
JWeinCom said:

Haha.  I ALMOST wrote at the end of my first post that I was sure you would add another criteria to explain why this didn't count, just like you did when someone used Rare as an example. 

However, EPD did create those franchises.  Under their old names, (Nintendo S&P and Nintendo R&D 1 and 2 before that).  These are just all different names Nintendo gave their internal development studio.   I chose to limit it to the games made under EPD because I needed to give them a bit of a handicap to make it a relatively fair fight ;). Of course I'm sure that you'll find a name change as a perfectly valid reason to discount their work.

At this point, I think this is trolling, but feel free to prove me wrong by explaining how making good games in a whopping 2 different genres qualifies you as easily the most diverse developer of all time. Cause honestly, that doesn't seem like much of an achievement.

So basically you're comparing the work of many devs over 3 decades against one developer. And then you also had the audacity to say that Nintendo EPD accomplished that over the course of only 3 years.

No.  I am comparing the work of one PART of one developer for 3 years against one WHOLE developer for 2+ decades.  All of the different development teams are part of one developer, Nintendo.  If I compared the entire output of Nintendo, it would be such a ridiculous blowout it would be pointless, so I stuck to one division of the developer.  But as a matter of fact, all of the different divisions that make up Nintendo EPD, and whatever they were called in the past, is all one developer.  One developer that has created 90+ titles and million sellers in way more genres than Naughty Dog.

But hey, if you don't like that one, let's see what other developers have 90+ titles in different genres...

Clover Studios- Action Adventure, Beat Em Up

Intelligent Systems-  Racing, SRPG, RPG, Puzzle, 

Ubisoft Montpellier-  2D Platformer, 3D Platformer

Camelot Software Planning-  Sports, RPG

Valve-  FPS, Squad Based Shooter, Puzzle

Platinum Games- Hack and Slash, Action RPG

That should probably be enough examples to show that making 90+ titles in two different genres isn't quite a massive accomplishment.  And I stuck to mostly smaller developers... but, I'm sure there will be reasons that none of these count.  

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 18 December 2018

Miyamotoo said:
Sahib said:

You clearly missed the “critically acclaimed blockbusters” part, I’m sure there’s devs out there who’ve tried their hands at many different genres, especially back in the day when it took only a couple months to make a game. Point is none of them put out 90+ rated titles in so many different genres and set sales records on top of it.

No I am not, most of game that I mentioned are critically acclaimed games and "90+ rated titlesPerfect Dark is 97 rated title, GoldenEye 007 is 96 rated title, Banjo Kazooie is 92 rated title, Conker's Bad Fur Day is 92 rated title, Donkey Kong 64 is 92 rated title, Blast Corps is 92 rated title, and we talking about games for just one platform. In another hand, Naughty Dog in 4 generations has only 3 IPs with 90+ metascore, Jak and Dexter, Uncharted and Last of Us.

Rare in both the snes and n64 eras was more efficient than nintendo on its own consoles. In fact, it was more on nintendo 64. But the DKC was the big turnround in the snes generation, criticaly aclaimed and sales wise.