By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2018 Thread

Miyamotoo said:

Great result for all 3, but Switch is biggest winner here, it sold +75% better than last year, also only console that didnt had price cut.

PS4: 1470k -13%
Switch: 1356k +75%
XBO: 1338k -3%

What are YTD numbers?
If I recall Switch has very good chance to be best selling console of year.

Wow! That's amazing. 75% increase is just an amazing improvement over last year. I wonder what the total would be now for Switch.

Around the Network

The switch was a monster without any heavy hitter in the last December, now with Smash Bros Ultimate(the biggest and fastest seller for Switch game) releases+ Pokemon Let's Go and Super Mario Party legs on the holiday month = rip PS4, XBX1, 3DS, Vita, Ouya, and Souljaboy.

zorg1000 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Great result for all 3, but Switch is biggest winner here, it sold +75% better than last year, also only console that didnt had price cut.

What are YTD numbers?

YTD

PS4-4.52m

NSW-3.85m

XBO-3.44m

Looks to me like Nintendo has the blue shell ready for December. And the baseball bat, paper fan and golden hammer too for good measure

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 14 December 2018

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
That was so close. Rip in advance for PS4 and XBX1 in December.

RIP is not something which can be said about the dominating Console since 2013, with almost 90M units sold, with GOW4  Goty in 2018 which makes the best looking Game on Switch...looking like a Sega MegaDrive Game...be more kind with the absolute queen of this generation :D

Ok that's just my irony, but really this ""RIP"" should never be paired with the word "PS4", unless you wanna people start laughing.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

zorg1000 said:
Miyamotoo said:

What are YTD numbers?

YTD

PS4-4.52m

NSW-3.85m

XBO-3.44m

So PS4 currently leads for 670k,

Switch should not have any problem taking year, Switch should will probably have at least around 2m December, and PS4 will probably be below 1.2m.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 14 December 2018

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Intrinsic said:

But thats is because a lot of people wanted themselves to get confused. The PR was clear and spot on.

That 8.2M was only tracking up till cyber monday with a whole week or so of sales left for november at that point. That 8.2M meant that nintendo had sold around 800k - 900k as at that pint with one week of sales left to go.

These numbers suggest that nintendo (if  taken literally) sold around 400k in that last week of november. Cause thats what wasn'gt accounted for in their PR.

However, their PR said "MORE" than 8.2M. That could mean like 8.275M or something which would mean it would only have had to sell around 300k in the last week.

Their PR wasn't wrong or BS. It was pretty spot on. 

You saying the last 5 days of the month sold 400k+?

Nope. Nintendo PR is saying that. And if we are to not be too anl about it.... what its really saying is that it sold ~300k in the last 5 days. 

Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:

What are YTD numbers?

Biggest winner? lol...... I think everyone expected the PS4/XB1 to be down YOY. They are ver 5yrs old after all. That they are only down by 13% and 3% is what I find surprising. 

it did as it was expected to do. I guess you were right and I should have left my prediction at 1.3M for the switch instead of dropping it by 100k.

Yeah, off course, it sold 75% better compared to last year without any price cut offcourse its biggest winner. Despite PS4/XB4 are 5 years old consoles they are doing great hole year (I mean PS4 just last month has much stronger month than it did last year), and both this year had great deals for Black Friday and huge game launch.

It was expected that Switch will do around 1.3m, but that doesnt make numbers that Switch done less impressive.

Nate4Drake said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
That was so close. Rip in advance for PS4 and XBX1 in December.

RIP is not something which can be said about the dominating Console since 2013, with almost 90M units sold, with GOW4  Goty in 2018 which makes the best looking Game on Switch...looking like a Sega MegaDrive Game...be more kind with the absolute queen of this generation :D

Ok that's just my irony, but really this ""RIP"" should never be paired with the word "PS4", unless you wanna people start laughing.

Calm down Charlie Brown. All 3 sold well and dedicated gaming systems are here to stay. A good month for all 3.

Intrinsic said:
Really interesting thing is what these numbers mean for the worldwide totals. PS4 could have done around 3M in november. And the NS around 2.5M and the XB1 around 2M

US+Japan November (NPD+Media Create)

NSW-1.84m (1355k+485k)

PS4-1.55m (1470k+80k)

I know Europe/RotW are Sony land but I would still think the WW Nov gap is a bit closer than 500k.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Looks like SONY still has some serious PS4 stock issues. Or they only wanted to sell that many for 200$. Still managed to win.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game