By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2018 Thread

Also SMO/MK8D/BotW (switch sku) all over 4.4mil+ in the US sold

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Nintendo Switch hardware ltd number in Black Friday week PR was a bullshit.

This seems to be becoming a trend.

Nintendo PR would not "lie" about their numbers. Its more likely that a lot of people misunderstood the PR.

My personal understanding f it was that tracking the 5 day period of black friday through to cyber monday they had sales 50% higher than the same period last year. And that as at the end of tht period (with over a week left to go in november) they had already sold around 800k+.  So at the very worst these numbers suggest they sold another ~400K for the last week of november.

This is actually all in line with nintendo PR..... depending on how you read it.

Intrinsic said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Nintendo Switch hardware ltd number in Black Friday week PR was a bullshit.

This seems to be becoming a trend.

Nintendo PR would not "lie" about their numbers. Its more likely that a lot of people misunderstood the PR.

My personal understanding f it was that tracking the 5 day period of black friday through to cyber monday they had sales 50% higher than the same period last year. And that as at the end of tht period (with over a week left to go in november) they had already sold around 800k+.  So at the very worst these numbers suggest they sold another ~400K for the last week of november.

This is actually all in line with nintendo PR..... depending on how you read it.

Nintendo Switch

• Nintendo Switch hardware sales grew 115 percent compared to the same period in 2017.
  • Lifetime sales of Nintendo Switch, which is entering only its second holiday season, have reached more than 8.2 million units.
Thats where all the confusion came from.
8.6mil+ vs 8.2mil PR

Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:

Probably do to retailer insights from some insiders on Resetera. Now obviously this isnt set in stone as it's just based on the data they have access to but here is what their data is showing

PS4 & XBO-down slightly YoY

NSW-up alot YoY

This is the same insider who said that he wasn't absolutely certain that the PS4 would win November last year, correct?

And people still put any sort of weight on what he says?

Here's what we actually know.

1)Amazon on Sunday took 3 times longer to sell out of Spider-Man bundles this year than it took for them to sell out of the PS4 slim last year.

2)Unlike last year Sony wasn't only relying on one SKU on sale. It also had the RDR 2 Pro bundle and the CoD BLOPS 4 slim bundle.

3)The Brickseek inventory results for Thanksgiving/Black Friday were hilariously tilted in Sony's favor, outnumbering Switch consoles 5:1 to 10:1 depending on location.

4)This year includes Cyber Monday which just means more sales altogether.

I look at the data above and the absolutely miserable history of the insider when it comes to November NPD and I think it's far, far, far, far more "bold" to think that PS4 is going to drop 25% YoY (as a lot of predictions in this thread have it) compared to being up 10%.

Looks like Benji was spot on

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

tbone51 said:

Nintendo Switch

• Nintendo Switch hardware sales grew 115 percent compared to the same period in 2017.
  • Lifetime sales of Nintendo Switch, which is entering only its second holiday season, have reached more than 8.2 million units.
8.6mil+ vs 8.2mil PR

But thats is because a lot of people wanted themselves to get confused. The PR was clear and spot on.

That 8.2M was only tracking up till cyber monday with a whole week or so of sales left for november at that point. That 8.2M meant that nintendo had sold around 800k - 900k as at that pint with one week of sales left to go.

These numbers suggest that nintendo (if  taken literally) sold around 400k in that last week of november. Cause thats what wasn'gt accounted for in their PR.

However, their PR said "MORE" than 8.2M. That could mean like 8.275M or something which would mean it would only have had to sell around 300k in the last week.

Their PR wasn't wrong or BS. It was pretty spot on. 

Around the Network

Great result for all 3, but Switch is biggest winner here, it sold +75% better than last year, also only console that didnt had price cut.

PS4: 1470k -13%
Switch: 1356k +75%
XBO: 1338k -3%

What are YTD numbers?
If I recall Switch has very good chance to be best selling console of year.

Damn, that is insane Switch-numbers if they are real. No way Switch loses in December now

Miyamotoo said:

Great result for all 3, but Switch is biggest winner here, it sold +75% better than last year, also only console that didnt had price cut.

What are YTD numbers?

YTD

PS4-4.52m

NSW-3.85m

XBO-3.44m

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:

What are YTD numbers?

Biggest winner? lol...... I think everyone expected the PS4/XB1 to be down YOY. They are ver 5yrs old after all. That they are only down by 13% and 3% is what I find surprising. 

it did as it was expected to do. I guess you were right and I should have left my prediction at 1.3M for the switch instead of dropping it by 100k.

Intrinsic said:
tbone51 said:

Nintendo Switch

8.6mil+ vs 8.2mil PR

But thats is because a lot of people wanted themselves to get confused. The PR was clear and spot on.

That 8.2M was only tracking up till cyber monday with a whole week or so of sales left for november at that point. That 8.2M meant that nintendo had sold around 800k - 900k as at that pint with one week of sales left to go.

These numbers suggest that nintendo (if  taken literally) sold around 400k in that last week of november. Cause thats what wasn'gt accounted for in their PR.

However, their PR said "MORE" than 8.2M. That could mean like 8.275M or something which would mean it would only have had to sell around 300k in the last week.

Their PR wasn't wrong or BS. It was pretty spot on. 

You saying the last 5 days of the month sold 400k+?