By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony doesn't need more 1st party studios

Does Sony have way too many Exclusives and multiplats not on Xbox?

Yes 11 24.44%

No 30 66.67%

IDK? 4 8.89%

Total:45
dx11332sega said:

I Say this because Microsoft dont get games that Sony gets like the many anime fighting games and street fighter 5 and the enourmous amount of Exclusive PSN games . I t doesn't matter if Microsoft has 16 first parties Sony has more japanese support than Microsoft while American devs do both . And the many PSvita japanese devs going to PS4/PS5 while those PSvita devs and others ignore microsoft . Unless Phil Spencer convinces those Japanese devs so far :(

Having another studious is not bad either, you also need to remember, Sony attention now are divided into two platform, which are VR and Mobile devices (smartphones ). Also Sony capability on making first party ip in a year is limited to just one or two ip. With having another studios they will likely to produce more in a year. Of course they can just ask 3rd party studios to make exclusives games for them but having a studio that is inside your policy will be much better. And also like u said Japanese developer can be bought by money especially Microsoft , so . Having more is not a sin. 

Around the Network

TBH, I don't think Sony has enough 1st party developers. Sony's Japanese developers that works on the PS Vita are worth chum change for the most part ...

The amount of truly worthwhile content Sony's 1st party generates is barely passable as it is IMO so they need more in-house studios and especially Japanese in-house studios as well ...

Sony has already established that they are not interested in acquiring studios.. Instead they are focusing on building teams within existing studios.. Its better to have another game from studios like SSM, ND, GG, SP. I just wish they dont shutter down more studios (Media Molecule, Sony bend)

P.s. Personally I think Sony might acquire Blue points game, for their technical expertise, But if PS5 has BC to PS3, then that acquisition is very slim

As said above, Sony doesn't need to buy more studios. They just need to expand the ones they already own, or establish new studios.

I think expanding Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Bend, Polyphony Digital, and Sucker Punch to Two Teams would be a good start. Then I think they are in dire need of a JRPG Studio in Japan. Those expansions should be enough for them to continue successful franchises, and continue to deliver new franchises at the same tme.

I feel that continuing to expand their exclusive offerings, while maintaining an industry leading, and ever rising quality bar, is key to maintaining and growing the Ecosystem. They need to continue to deliver on what the expectations they have built, while also trying their hand at new genres, and formats. If they can continue to grow to the point where they are delivering Uncharted/God of War/Detroit/Spider-Man level games, across TV/Gamepad, VR, and the Online Space, they will cotinue to see great success.

One thing I see for certain, if they do not grow, and just continue their current status quo, they will eventually begin to loose ground. That is a fact everywhere, if you do not continue to improve and expand, eventually you will start to see your competition gain on and/or surpass you. Being great is not good enough, you can maintain what made you the market leader, but in time, even if you do everything right, but only maintain, you will fall behind. Everything is about growth, and if you want to stay ahead, you have to find the balance between continued innovation, and over accelerated progress. You have to put things out that imrpove, even when people are not asking for it, yet you can't put things out to fast or people will reject it. It is a crazy good game in itself.

Hopefully Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all have road maps for expansion, and innovation. We need them to keeping fighting off Apple and Google.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

HollyGamer said:
dx11332sega said:

I Say this because Microsoft dont get games that Sony gets like the many anime fighting games and street fighter 5 and the enourmous amount of Exclusive PSN games . I t doesn't matter if Microsoft has 16 first parties Sony has more japanese support than Microsoft while American devs do both . And the many PSvita japanese devs going to PS4/PS5 while those PSvita devs and others ignore microsoft . Unless Phil Spencer convinces those Japanese devs so far :(

Having another studious is not bad either, you also need to remember, Sony attention now are divided into two platform, which are VR and Mobile devices (smartphones ). Also Sony capability on making first party ip in a year is limited to just one or two ip. With having another studios they will likely to produce more in a year. Of course they can just ask 3rd party studios to make exclusives games for them but having a studio that is inside your policy will be much better. And also like u said Japanese developer can be bought by money especially Microsoft , so . Having more is not a sin. 

More like 3 -4 first party published games per year. And thats plenty from an exclusive standpoint any year. As opposed to MS one or two per year.

Sony doesn't need more studios. If they need to do anything its to get more out of their studios and partnerships.

Around the Network

I don't think Sony NEEDS more studios, but I can certainly be pleased if they doubled the number of studios and released games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

A console can never have too many exclusives. What might be debated is the type of exclusives they have. For example it seems like they've discontinued Gran Tourismo. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. It's never a bad idea to have plenty of variety in exclusives too. But, other than that thought, more exclusives is always good.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
A console can never have too many exclusives. What might be debated is the type of exclusives they have. For example it seems like they've discontinued Gran Tourismo. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. It's never a bad idea to have plenty of variety in exclusives too. But, other than that thought, more exclusives is always good.

They have not discontinued gran turismo. And I don't know where you are getting that.

Intrinsic said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

They have not discontinued gran turismo. And I don't know where you are getting that.

Didn't think "Sport" was considered part of the main series.  It's certainly not as popular as earlier entries.

KBG29 said:
As said above, Sony doesn't need to buy more studios. They just need to expand the ones they already own, or establish new studios.

I think expanding Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Bend, Polyphony Digital, and Sucker Punch to Two Teams would be a good start. Then I think they are in dire need of a JRPG Studio in Japan. Those expansions should be enough for them to continue successful franchises, and continue to deliver new franchises at the same tme.

I feel that continuing to expand their exclusive offerings, while maintaining an industry leading, and ever rising quality bar, is key to maintaining and growing the Ecosystem. They need to continue to deliver on what the expectations they have built, while also trying their hand at new genres, and formats. If they can continue to grow to the point where they are delivering Uncharted/God of War/Detroit/Spider-Man level games, across TV/Gamepad, VR, and the Online Space, they will cotinue to see great success.

One thing I see for certain, if they do not grow, and just continue their current status quo, they will eventually begin to loose ground. That is a fact everywhere, if you do not continue to improve and expand, eventually you will start to see your competition gain on and/or surpass you. Being great is not good enough, you can maintain what made you the market leader, but in time, even if you do everything right, but only maintain, you will fall behind. Everything is about growth, and if you want to stay ahead, you have to find the balance between continued innovation, and over accelerated progress. You have to put things out that imrpove, even when people are not asking for it, yet you can't put things out to fast or people will reject it. It is a crazy good game in itself.

Hopefully Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all have road maps for expansion, and innovation. We need them to keeping fighting off Apple and Google.

Thanks for letting me rant.

You are right on the need to keep improving/expanding as the best way to keep ahead.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."