By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony doesn't need more 1st party studios

Does Sony have way too many Exclusives and multiplats not on Xbox?

Yes 11 24.44%

No 30 66.67%

IDK? 4 8.89%

Total:45
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Intrinsic said:

They have not discontinued gran turismo. And I don't know where you are getting that.

Didn't think "Sport" was considered part of the main series.  It's certainly not as popular as earlier entries.

That doesn't mean they discontinued GT. Studio still exists and they may be working on a GT7 or not, but even if you don't like GTS, consider it another game or doesn't sell much doesn't mean it was discontinued.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Didn't think "Sport" was considered part of the main series.  It's certainly not as popular as earlier entries.

That doesn't mean they discontinued GT. Studio still exists and they may be working on a GT7 or not, but even if you don't like GTS, consider it another game or doesn't sell much doesn't mean it was discontinued.

Didn't say I "know" its discontinued.  Just saying it seems that way.  GT6 came out 5 years ago and we haven't heard anything about GT7 yet.

my selfish wish is that Sony acquire/build up atleast 1 dedicated JRPG studio (AAA lvl budget/production values), but I'm aware that there probably just isn't big enough a market for these games to support that *sigh*

Given exclusives are among the few quality games these days Sony should make more studios, and I say that as a Nintendo Switch only gamer.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

Didn't say I "know" its discontinued.  Just saying it seems that way.  GT6 came out 5 years ago and we haven't heard anything about GT7 yet.

PD is quite limited in size, so since they were making GTS it would be quite impossible to have GT7 at the same time. At earliest expect GT7 by 2020 as an evolution of the model of GTS (using all the cars and tracks they have been releasing).

Lafiel said:
my selfish wish is that Sony acquire/build up atleast 1 dedicated JRPG studio (AAA lvl budget/production values), but I'm aware that there probably just isn't big enough a market for these games to support that *sigh*

Well there is market if they can make the marketing good enough to push a lot of sales. Dragon Quest and FF still manages good numbers. Sure starting from scratch or sequel of old games will be a harder thing to get the level of DQ and FF, but Sony earned a lot of good will this gen, so if they really commit on this JRPG studio they may see good success.

KrspaceT said:
Given exclusives are among the few quality games these days Sony should make more studios, and I say that as a Nintendo Switch only gamer.

Nothing wrong with not being your cup of tea but recognizing they are good and should have more. As I also would like Nintendo to keep increasing their studios to deliver ever more games on Switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
HollyGamer said:

Having another studious is not bad either, you also need to remember, Sony attention now are divided into two platform, which are VR and Mobile devices (smartphones ). Also Sony capability on making first party ip in a year is limited to just one or two ip. With having another studios they will likely to produce more in a year. Of course they can just ask 3rd party studios to make exclusives games for them but having a studio that is inside your policy will be much better. And also like u said Japanese developer can be bought by money especially Microsoft , so . Having more is not a sin. 

More like 3 -4 first party published games per year. And thats plenty from an exclusive standpoint any year. As opposed to MS one or two per year.

Sony doesn't need more studios. If they need to do anything its to get more out of their studios and partnerships.

Intrinsic said:
HollyGamer said:

Having another studious is not bad either, you also need to remember, Sony attention now are divided into two platform, which are VR and Mobile devices (smartphones ). Also Sony capability on making first party ip in a year is limited to just one or two ip. With having another studios they will likely to produce more in a year. Of course they can just ask 3rd party studios to make exclusives games for them but having a studio that is inside your policy will be much better. And also like u said Japanese developer can be bought by money especially Microsoft , so . Having more is not a sin. 

More like 3 -4 first party published games per year. And thats plenty from an exclusive standpoint any year. As opposed to MS one or two per year.

Sony doesn't need more studios. If they need to do anything its to get more out of their studios and partnerships.

That's just happen recently. On top of that, they could have better launch in PS4 early years. Also in the future Microsoft will not be the same, Sony cannot do the same thing they need to do 3 times better. Microsoft in the future will be full gear like Xbox 360 days and will start asking Japanese games developer to involve and plus all the first party studios they just bought  will make them like PS4 revenges day plus the money to buy exclusivity, and also unlimited resource on marketing minus the DRM fiasco. 

I am just to afraid to imagine , they want some revenge .  

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 12 December 2018

Soby’s Doing great on that front, no doubt, but there’s still a few studios that I think it would be cool for them to buy, namely Kojima Productions, Insomniac, and Quantic Dream. Supermassive and Bluepoint would be good too.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Intrinsic said:

They have not discontinued gran turismo. And I don't know where you are getting that.

It isn't.

Same way the GT Concept series in the past wasn't a part f the main series. The concept and sport installments are like stop gaps between main series.

And they are still releasing content for GT sport to this day. So no, nothing indicates that GT has been or is being discontinued. If anything it all points t a very fleshed out major release for GT7 probably on the PS5.

Anther thing people don't know about PD, is that like some other studios (konami used to do this a lot too) they make smaller slices of a game (think like a very big sold demo) that they release and take the proceeds f that and use it for the development of their main game.

It wouldn't hurt them to acquire a couple of more studios- but they definitely don't need to. They already have an awesome stable of first party studios- as well as great partnerships with third party studios to make exclusive games for them (i.e. Blue Point, Insomniac, etc.) I'm just worried that Microsoft is going to snag one of those studios first. But as far as Sony goes - their already established studios have really grown over the years and are now some of the best in the industry. Looking ahead - their exclusive pipeline is ridiculous:

Days Gone
Dreams
Concrete Genie
Wild
Last of Us: Part II
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
Final Fantasy VII Remake
God of War Sequel
Horizon: Zero Dawn Sequel
Spider-Man Sequel
Gran Turismo 7
Blue Point's next project (Demon Soul's Remake?)
Ueda's/ Team Ico's Next Project
Most likely a Bloodborne Sequel

Sony will be just fine!