By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate's online is atrocious

TheWPCTraveler said:
RingoGaSuki said:

I'm loving the game so far, but this is a massive downgrade from Sm4sh. Lumping everyone in together, and having every battle affect your GSP ranking in unpredictable ways is stupid. No matter what you actually want to play, it throws you into a random match likely completely different to what you wanted. I just spent 10 matches working my GSP up over 600k with Isabelle, only for a single loss to item spam to slam my ranking back down to 275k. In the next match, I got thrown into a team battle with some random against two players who were obviously working together and got double teamed to hell (the other guy got taken out in ~40 seconds, leaving me alone), and though I took them both down to a single stock left each, my ranking crashed to 90,000. Complete shit, and completely drained my motivation to touch online again.

Both For Fun and For Glory had their own place and were good times in their own right, why not at least keep them separate and give them different rankings or something? Lumping everything together just ruins the experience

This tweet just encapsulates everything wrong about the unified online.

I don't really understand this comment considering you can literally enter a room with whatever rules you want. And if you cant find one you can just create your own.

Around the Network

The little online I've played allowed to me to select the rules I wanted.

Also, don't you unlock a "For Glory" mode after winning a few matches anyway?

Besides the occational match that is a lag-fest I don’t see a problem with the online.

I have to agree, the Quick Play option is terrible! Being constantly thrown into 4 v 4 matches is infuriating and if you do get in a 1 v 1 match I sure hope you like the character you picked 'cause you're stuck with him/her/it for as long as you're in that room. Sure you can back out to switch characters but who knows what you'll get for your next match.

Signature goes here!

morenoingrato said:
The little online I've played allowed to me to select the rules I wanted.

Also, don't you unlock a "For Glory" mode after winning a few matches anyway?

Nope, your GSP rank has to be over a certain, ever increasing threshold (at the moment it's like 900000) to use Elite Smash, and even then if you drop below it, you get access taken away. Definitely not a few matches, a single lots can drop you 200000 ranks, but winning only raises you a max of 30-40000, and dones one starts at around 320000, you don't really make progress that quickly

Around the Network
RingoGaSuki said:

I'm loving the game so far, but this is a massive downgrade from Sm4sh. Lumping everyone in together, and having every battle affect your GSP ranking in unpredictable ways is stupid. No matter what you actually want to play, it throws you into a random match likely completely different to what you wanted. I just spent 10 matches working my GSP up over 600k with Isabelle, only for a single loss to item spam to slam my ranking back down to 275k. In the next match, I got thrown into a team battle with some random against two players who were obviously working together and got double teamed to hell (the other guy got taken out in ~40 seconds, leaving me alone), and though I took them both down to a single stock left each, my ranking crashed to 90,000. Complete shit, and completely drained my motivation to touch online again.

Both For Fun and For Glory had their own place and were good times in their own right, why not at least keep them separate and give them different rankings or something? Lumping everything together just ruins the experience

^ this is why fighters should always be 1v1 or atleast 2v2 but with clear sides.
4-8 players random free for all doesnt work in a fighter imo.

I tried Smash on the Wii U, all I can say is its not my cup of tea.
Honestly dont get why people love it so much.

JRPGfan said:
RingoGaSuki said:

^ this is why fighters should always be 1v1 or atleast 2v2 but with clear sides.
4-8 players random free for all doesnt work in a fighter imo.

I tried Smash on the Wii U, all I can say is its not my cup of tea.
Honestly dont get why people love it so much.

4+ player free for all works perfectly fine and is one of the most fun things in the game. The problem is for people want a competitive 1v1's there isn't a playlist and they can end up in free for all matches so all they need is a 1v1 only matchmaker to sort that out.

I gave up on playing Nintendo games online. It never really works. Couch multiplayer is where it's at with Nintendo!

Chrizum said:
I gave up on playing Nintendo games online. It never really works. Couch multiplayer is where it's at with Nintendo!

Splatoon 2 works fine for me online. Arms was also fine as was Mario Kart (as in the opponents had no problem kicking my ass, haha!)

I've only tried one round of Smash online and it was laggy as hell. Gonna try again later, hopefully it goes better.

Imo they should have kept a for glory mode and for fun modes for people to just straight up queue for competitive fights ranked and unranked I'm not sure what Sakurai's mode of thinking was in removing them tbh.