By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch is perfectly viable as a primary or even only gaming device...

0D0 said:
Nozz-A-La said:

With that logic every console can possibly be a main console..

What console can't be a viable primary console in your eyes?

The op has zero logic (not that it's a problem or that he's just unable to be logical), but he's as subjective as everybody else, or perhaps I don't understand the point of this thread.

The point of the thread is to highlight how ALL THREE consoles are equally viable in the mainstream market as a primary based on the individual.  Many people who seem to wish it that the Switch would not be viable to "real gamers" have tried to make claims stating as much.  These people can be found trying to downplay the Switch across several gaming forums, so I have given them a chance to prove their claims.

The fact that everything can be so easily shot down is all the proof that is needed to show that such claims are unfounded.  What they then end up doing is complaining about how speaking about the general mainstream is pointless and getting agitated about the subject because they cannot use their own personal preference to speak for the masses.  They know that their argument is invalid to the general gaming public, and to try to continue would do nothing but expose their own bias.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
0D0 said:

If it's none of what i describe, what's the point of this thread? If it's subjective, your thread is just kinda pointless. your main console is nintendo my main is ps4 and let's close the thread.

at least we can agree that your thread has nothing of constructive rational debate, is just you being subjective and saying that everybody is subjective. you can change this thread into "why i love switch". that would make more sense.

If the threads point is "why I love switch", why you and others are so supremely pissed about this thread? Why you don't just walk by, say "you love switch, I love PS4" and go on?

Before I answer the second question, can I ask who's "supremely pissed" round here and how can you define who's supremely pissed?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

gergroy said:
Weird thread, I own all three consoles, but really any of them could be viable as a primary gaming device. I mean, my iPhone would be perfectly viable as a primary gaming device. There is an argument for any gaming platform really.

I think the reason for this thread is because Wii/Wii U and initially the Switch were often just considered as a "secondary" console due to lacking so many AAA games. But with the number of AAA releases diminishing every year and them showing them choke-full  with lootboxes and microtransactions, they are not getting missed nearly as much as they did 10 years ago, and some are getting ported anyway.

Shiken said:
0D0 said:

The op has zero logic (not that it's a problem or that he's just unable to be logical), but he's as subjective as everybody else, or perhaps I don't understand the point of this thread.

The point of the thread is to highlight how ALL THREE consoles are equally viable in the mainstream market as a primary based on the individual.  Many people who seem to wish it that the Switch would not be viable to "real gamers" have tried to make claims stating as much.  These people can be found trying to downplay the Switch across several gaming forums, so I have given them a chance to prove their claims.

The fact that everything can be so easily shot down is all the proof that is needed to show that such claims are unfounded.  What they then end up doing is complaining about how speaking about the general mainstream is pointless and getting agitated about the subject because they cannot use their own personal preference to speak for the masses.  They know that their argument is invalid to the general gaming public, and to try to continue would do nothing but expose their own bias.

So your point is to argue that all consoles are equally viable depending on buyer's own tastes? I guess the answer will always be true regardless. A Nintendo console is always viable for Nintendo fans or any gamer into Nintendo stuff, even Wii U was viable and for many Nintendo fans their only home console.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Shiken said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Yeah, but you have a PS4, which means you already have access to much of the X1 library. But having a X1 gives access to a huge catalog of Xbox and 360 games which is a notable feature. If PS4 and Switch did that then it would be a notable feature as well. I mean one moment we say having access to old games doesn't matter, but then people boast about PS Now, the sales of NES/SNES mini and the PlayStation Classic was hyped before we knew it sucked.

Any who, it really is a matter of personal taste. But for most people on this forum, having Switch as your primary or only console is a joke.

I have already seen a good number of people in other threads showing the contrary, and a few of them within this very thread as well.  I mean the fact that some 3rd party games that come out on Switch seem to outsell X1 versions is evidence that portability matters to many.

Fact is, even the majority of an online forum does not come close to accounting for the general public.  To think otherwise is lying to yourself.

All 3 are valid primary consoles based on the needs of a gamer, and as it stands, I see no evidence of the contrary.  Only arbitrary arguments made by people who wish it to be unviable, or thise who refuse to look outside of their own personal needs.

Some certainly sell better on Switch but its not an equal library, the X1 audience has more major titles to choose from. For example the average X1 may not enjoy the same type of games as the average Switch users and more importantly the Switch isn't getting the same major releases. For example, Crash and Dark Souls did better on Switch but how did RDR2, CoD, BFV, AC:Odyssey and Soul Calibur VI do on Switch?

You're correct about saying forum doesn't reflect the general public. But I do know the PS4/X1/PC will move many of the same games we don't see on Switch. So I could argue Switch is less reflective of the general public.

I'm not arguing Switch couldn't be viable as an only console. But I highly doubt people who just use a Switch are avid gamers or just enjoy few IPs. I bet people were content with the Wii as their single platform for a period, but I suspect many of them eventually upgraded to 360 and PS3. Which would explain why games like Call of Duty declined on Wii while growing on other platforms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I think the devil is in the details. Viability simply means that it can be successful as a console. Any of the current or previous systems released would fit that description in the sense that they can all play games. A better question would be is the Switch an equally optimal single gaming solution compared to the Xbox One, PS4, or a gaming PC. That is to say, is the Switch the best or most favorable single option.

In some cases yes the Switch is most viable but not equally so. I believe that if portability or a preference to Nintendo franchises are your primary preferences in gaming, then the Switch is the most optimal console for you. The Xbox One, PS4 and gaming PCs offer many advantages over the Switch that should factor in to which console is the best single optimal choice.

Xbox and PS4 obviously have specific first party titles that appeal to their fans and also have many more third party titles including almost all of the previously mentioned AAA titles. Many of these third party titles are not available on Switch and those that are available on all three consoles run better on X1 and PS4.

A gaming PC is optimal for those that want to run the available games at the highest resolution, frame rate, effects, etc. and also tends to be optimal for software price and availability of many older games. Of course a gaming PC will run AAA titles better than current consoles. Gaming PCs lack any of the first party titles from PS4 and Switch but have several of the high profile X1 titles.

So viability as a single console solution is heavily dependent on your gaming preferences. If you love Nintendo games, JPRGs, portability, then the Switch is the most logical choice if you can only choose one console.

If you love games like GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Fallout, Madden, Uncharted, Halo, Spider-man, God of War, Witcher 3, etc. or if you want to play games at higher resolution, frame rate, etc. then Switch is not logically the optimal system for you. It cannot play these games and it will always run third parties in lower resolution and lower frame rate when compared to PS4, X1 and a gaming PC.

"There are things which, if done by the few, we should refuse to imitate; yet when the majority have begun to do them, we follow along - just as if anything were more honourable because it is more frequent!"

-Seneca

Bofferbrauer2 said:
gergroy said:
Weird thread, I own all three consoles, but really any of them could be viable as a primary gaming device. I mean, my iPhone would be perfectly viable as a primary gaming device. There is an argument for any gaming platform really.

I think the reason for this thread is because Wii/Wii U and initially the Switch were often just considered as a "secondary" console due to lacking so many AAA games. But with the number of AAA releases diminishing every year and them showing them choke-full  with lootboxes and microtransactions, they are not getting missed nearly as much as they did 10 years ago, and some are getting ported anyway.

Not just that but now days the difference between AAA and AA as far as the games go is non existent as all the former has is just a big budget were as before games in that category often stood for high quality now most of them just have higher marketing. AA games in recent years are matching and sometimes outdo AAA game in the final product so what's happening is not just a reduction in the number of releases in the latter but also a reduction in what set them apart.

0D0 said:

perhaps I don't understand the point of this thread.

I think it's about how many people claim Nintendo consoles are only good as "secondary" devices which is rarely said about PS/XB consoles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
gergroy said:

I disagree. These are AAA games that I have bought and have been released this year (and none of them either has no microtransactions, or those are not an issue in them):

Monster Hunter World

Shadow of the Colossus

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Far Cry 5

God of War

Detroit Become Human

Vampyr (AA/AAA)

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definite Edition (AA, but got physical release)

Spider-Man

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Red Dead Redemption 2

Just Cause 4

That's 13 games and there is more, from which only Vampyr is going to Switch. I wouldn't call that diminishing, since it's about as much as last year or even more. In fact, AAA-wise (quality + quantity) this year has been one of the best years ever. So what are you talking about?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I disagree. These are AAA games that I have bought and have been released this year (and none of them either has no microtransactions, or those are not an issue in them):

Monster Hunter World

Shadow of the Colossus

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Far Cry 5

God of War

Detroit Become Human

Vampyr (AA/AAA)

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definite Edition (AA, but got physical release)

Spider-Man

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Red Dead Redemption 2

Just Cause 4

That's 13 games and there is more, from which only Vampyr is going to Switch. I wouldn't call that diminishing, since it's about as much as last year or even more. In fact, AAA-wise (quality + quantity) this year has been one of the best years ever. So what are you talking about?

Going by what people on this very site say (some whom are the same people here) games like SOTC, Just Cause, Detroit, Kingdom Come, Divinity etc... are not AAA titles otherwise a number of games on the Switch become AAA by default.