By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else feel resolution is overrated?

I prefer...

Resolution over detail/effects 23 26.14%

Detail/effects over resolution 65 73.86%

Total:88
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Because Burnout and Driver were simplistic with basic and repeated assets. And Rage was not open world at all.

You are simply incorrect here. Again, in 2008 their GPUs were still quite decent, but even by then less than 500MB of RAM for games was a joke.

Many games use repeated assets, Rage actually boasted about not doing that. But it did have unusual texture pop in kinda like a UE3 game. Rage is indeed an open world game. 

500MB was fine for 7th gen games because it wasn't running Windows and the games were simply more efficient. It was also running textures at around low/medium quality compared to what PC was doing. VRAM at that time was probably 256-512mb.

Full circle by the way, the biggest asset drain is textures and that's exactly where 7th gen cut corners. They often used low quality textures or sometimes higher quality textures popped in depending on the game and engine. Crossgen (7th and 8th gen) games suffered from some of the worst quality or severe texture pop in.

Eh, I've played Rage and I certainly wouldn't call it open world; more like a series of hubs and linear levels connected by corridors. That's a whole other topic though.

To tie back into resolution, both last gen console seemed pretty comfortable delivering (for the time) great visuals at 720p, but this gen I'd peg the sweet spot for the Switch at more like 900p rather than 1080. Even the base Xbox One seems to do its prettiest graphics at around 900p, with games like Battlefront 1 & 2, Ryse, and RDR2.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Many games use repeated assets, Rage actually boasted about not doing that. But it did have unusual texture pop in kinda like a UE3 game. Rage is indeed an open world game. 

500MB was fine for 7th gen games because it wasn't running Windows and the games were simply more efficient. It was also running textures at around low/medium quality compared to what PC was doing. VRAM at that time was probably 256-512mb.

Full circle by the way, the biggest asset drain is textures and that's exactly where 7th gen cut corners. They often used low quality textures or sometimes higher quality textures popped in depending on the game and engine. Crossgen (7th and 8th gen) games suffered from some of the worst quality or severe texture pop in.

Eh, I've played Rage and I certainly wouldn't call it open world; more like a series of hubs and linear levels connected by corridors. That's a whole other topic though.

To tie back into resolution, both last gen console seemed pretty comfortable delivering (for the time) great visuals at 720p, but this gen I'd peg the sweet spot for the Switch at more like 900p rather than 1080. Even the base Xbox One seems to do its prettiest graphics at around 900p, with games like Battlefront 1 & 2, Ryse, and RDR2.

I do believe Skyrim did that to an extent as well. I mean you had the open world but going into cities, buildings or caverns took you out of that open world and had a load screen. There isn't a debate about that being an open world. Rage had an open world and areas you would enter that were essentially like a linear action game.

Switch is really a mixed bag of resolutions. If its a technically demanding game, its often doing 720p and sometimes lower for dynamic resolutions. But on average its certainly hitting resolution well above last gen.

Base X1 is generally hitting 900p is technically demanding games. But resolution isn't the whole story, Switch and X1 are doing vastly different visuals at equal resolutions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

I do believe Skyrim did that to an extent as well. I mean you had the open world but going into cities, buildings or caverns took you out of that open world and had a load screen. There isn't a debate about that being an open world. Rage had an open world and areas you would enter that were essentially like a linear action game.

Switch is really a mixed bag of resolutions. If its a technically demanding game, its often doing 720p and sometimes lower for dynamic resolutions. But on average its certainly hitting resolution well above last gen.

Base X1 is generally hitting 900p is technically demanding games. But resolution isn't the whole story, Switch and X1 are doing vastly different visuals at equal resolutions.

Skyrim had massive open areas where you could wander out into the wilderness and explore though. Rage never did, it had relatively small hubs, linear levels, and linear corridors in between. It tried to create the illusion of being open world, but it never really was one.

And yeah, Xbox One is clearly more graphically capable than the Switch, all I meant was that so far, the best looking games on both seem to hit around 900p.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 December 2018

Frame rate matters most.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Skyrim had massive open areas where you could wander out into the wilderness and explore though. Rage never did, it had relatively small hubs, linear levels, and linear corridors in between. It tried to create the illusion of being open world, but it never really was one.

And yeah, Xbox One is clearly more graphically capable than the Switch, all I meant was that so far, the best looking games on both seem to hit around 900p.

Rage is a less impressive open world then Elder Scrolls, but its still is in that genre. Meanwhile Elder Scrolls had to load in many areas.

Games are generally designed around performance and resolution first. So the average game is built to hit 720p to 1080p from the start. I mean no game intended for Switch is aiming for 480p regularly like Doom and Wolf II.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Rage is a less impressive open world then Elder Scrolls, but its still is in that genre. Meanwhile Elder Scrolls had to load in many areas.

Games are generally designed around performance and resolution first. So the average game is built to hit 720p to 1080p from the start. I mean no game intended for Switch is aiming for 480p regularly like Doom and Wolf II.

How is Rage in any way open world though? It has no wide open non-linear areas at all.

And that's true, but not all devs will set out with the same resolution target even for the same system though, for example the developers of ARMS set out to hit a locked 1080p/60fps on Switch, while the Odyssey team on the same hardware opted for a dynamic 900p. Similarly on Xbox One Turn 10 shot for 1080p with their Forza games while Remedy shot for 720p with Quantum Break.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 December 2018

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

How is Rage in any way open world though? It has no wide open non-linear areas at all.

And that's true, but not all devs will set out with the same resolution target even for the same system though, for example the developers of ARMS set out to hit a locked 1080p/60fps on Switch, while the Odyssey team on the same hardware opted for a dynamic 900p. Similarly on Xbox One Turn 10 shot for 1080p with their Forza games while Remedy shot for 720p with Quantum Break.

Rage has a large open world you can explore/drive through and its obviously streaming in that data. Its splitting hairs.

ARMS and Mario Odyssey arent the same scale. One is more technically demanding.

QB is 720p because those effects are very taxing on the hardware. Forza games are not doing that, less post processing effects, etc. Forza MS games also look kinda bland compared to Horizon, but Forza MS makes compromises for 60 fps.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Rage has a large open world you can explore/drive through and its obviously streaming in that data. Its splitting hairs.

QB is 720p because those effects are very taxing on the hardware. Forza games are not doing that, less post processing effects, etc. Forza MS games also look kinda bland compared to Horizon, but Forza MS makes compromises for 60 fps.

All Rage ever has to stream at once is the next section of corridor, that's not open world.

And that's my whole point; some developers, like Remedy, chose to prioritize effects and other aspects of graphics over pixel count. Which in my opinion generally results in better results than pushing for raw pixel count.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 December 2018

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

The open world of Rage is an "illusion". Those are just static environments. No changing skybox, no day/night cycle. It's just a huge corridor to explore, and even the exploration is very limited. You cannot re-enter certain sections you have already done. It's a pretty much linear game with some side quest to revisit certain locations. I would say it's similar to what Half Life 2 did, where as Half-Life 2 is completely linear. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

All Rage ever has to stream at once is the next section of corridor, that's not open world.

And that's my whole point; some developers, like Remedy, chose to prioritize effects and other aspects of graphics over pixel count. Which in my opinion generally results in better results than pushing for raw pixel count.

Uh huh, Im not gonna Rage has the most complex open world. But again, there are 60 fps open world games on last gen. I really dont wamt to take the discussion beyond those facts. Game design and optimization matters. MGSV is a notable 60 fps open world game this gen, a game just need to be built around those targets.

One of my best examples of why I do like a focus on resolution, while not a priority for me, is a game like Halo:MCC. I like the crisp presentation that its able to achieve with 60 fps because the graphics and assets arent incredibly demanding. I kinda prefer the presentation of Halo 4 on MCC over Halo 5 on a base X1 because Halo 5 can look kinda bad at times, especially large MP modes. As you might know Halo 5's resolution can dip down to 800p, pop in can be jarring, animation reduction on distant models, etc. Halo:MCC can actually look more polished/better than Halo 5 because the lower quality graphics. However, if you have a X1X Halo 5's visual upgrade is massive even if some issues remain.

Now if you want an example of the focus on resolution being a nuisance, Battlefield V. The X1 and X1X appear to run the same graphics settings. The graphics settings on a base X1 are fine, exceptional visuals for the platform even if suffers from aggressive pop in. On X1X though, they appear to use all the extra power for dynamic 4K. I would much rather have X1X crank the graphics settings to highest possible while targetting 1080p/60 fps.

Recently Completed