By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PR: Nintendo Switch Best Selling week Ever (US) (8.2mil+Sold Switches LTD) [Update: 8.6mil+]

RolStoppable said:
fatslob-:O said:

Why blame Nintendo's PR for your own ineptitude in not realizing that they used two different numbers ? The so called "mistake" that you keep touting is nothing more than a mirage you created ... 

Is there any justification to your claim of "wrong number" despite the margin of error being less then 30k and a little bit above 3% ? Your accusation of bias towards me makes no difference when you're the one that's off base trying as much as possible to deviate from the numbers that you don't like ... 

FWIW as far as the past comes, at least I based my thoughts on a real figure which were shipment projections while your scrambling about lost in finding a justification as to why Nintendo's internally collected data for the Switch is somehow "wrong" and you're back to having zero precedent as well ... 

I don't think I need to highlight the irony in how Nintendo data is good enough for you guys to throw the detractors in the mud but somehow the detractors can't use Nintendo against their fans so it's a one way street ... 

I dismissed the two statements because they provided no value in our in depth understanding of the Switch's sales, not because they were inaccurate or imprecise but comprehension issues abound anyways since that's all I've gotten out of you from this thread ... 

The justification for the wrong number is that it is wrong. Your claim is that Nintendo PR cannot be wrong and that's why there can't be a margin of error when Nintendo PR is supposed to know the numbers. By the way, the margin of error for April 2017 is 36k which is 13%, because the March numbers were already definitive fact, so the margin of error is calculated solely based on April numbers. The precedent of Nintendo PR being wrong on basic numbers remains.

In the past your thoughts were based on shipment projections without applying any logic to them. It was 100% clear to everyone who paid attention that Nintendo would beat their projection of 10m comfortably because Switch continued to sell through its shipments quickly. That's why you were thrown in the mud, because Nintendo's forecasted number was rightfully dismissed as being ultimately wrong, so all logical projections of Switch sales had to be notably above Nintendo's 10m. Switch ended up shipping 15m for the year.

It's the same case here. The 8.2m figure of Nintendo's PR is considered suspicious because the numbers don't add up. You and others have been repeatedly asked to lay out the maths for Switch sales in November, but no such attempt has been made by you guys. That leaves us with two options:

1. You guys comprehend maths and realize that the numbers don't add up, so you are content with trying to get a rise out of people.
2. You guys don't comprehend maths, so you don't even try in the first place.

Also, as has been pointed out, VGC isn't the only sales website where Nintendo's PR is called into question. It's the same on ResetEra. Do you believe in a widespread pro-Switch conspiracy?

yes obviously there is. all you to do is look at the facts. Nintendo has never posted a wrong LTD of a console in the  history of the company. sure you can bring in mario kart being off but that's out of 1000's PR that have been accurate. if you look at the odds of nintendo posting wrong numbers we are looking less then  1%. in the end it's fine to say wait for NPD but argue there is a good chance nintendo posted wrong numbers is foolish until we have hard facts.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Why blame Nintendo's PR for your own ineptitude in not realizing that they used two different numbers ? The so called "mistake" that you keep touting is nothing more than a mirage you created ... 

Is there any justification to your claim of "wrong number" despite the margin of error being less then 30k and a little bit above 3% ? Your accusation of bias towards me makes no difference when you're the one that's off base trying as much as possible to deviate from the numbers that you don't like ... 

FWIW as far as the past comes, at least I based my thoughts on a real figure which were shipment projections while your scrambling about lost in finding a justification as to why Nintendo's internally collected data for the Switch is somehow "wrong" and you're back to having zero precedent as well ... 

I don't think I need to highlight the irony in how Nintendo data is good enough for you guys to throw the detractors in the mud but somehow the detractors can't use Nintendo against their fans so it's a one way street ... 

I dismissed the two statements because they provided no value in our in depth understanding of the Switch's sales, not because they were inaccurate or imprecise but comprehension issues abound anyways since that's all I've gotten out of you from this thread ... 

The justification for the wrong number is that it is wrong. Your claim is that Nintendo PR cannot be wrong and that's why there can't be a margin of error when Nintendo PR is supposed to know the numbers. By the way, the margin of error for April 2017 is 36k which is 13%, because the March numbers were already definitive fact, so the margin of error is calculated solely based on April numbers. The precedent of Nintendo PR being wrong on basic numbers remains.

In the past your thoughts were based on shipment projections without applying any logic to them. It was 100% clear to everyone who paid attention that Nintendo would beat their projection of 10m comfortably because Switch continued to sell through its shipments quickly. That's why you were thrown in the mud, because Nintendo's forecasted number was rightfully dismissed as being ultimately wrong, so all logical projections of Switch sales had to be notably above Nintendo's 10m. Switch ended up shipping 15m for the year.

It's the same case here. The 8.2m figure of Nintendo's PR is considered suspicious because the numbers don't add up. You and others have been repeatedly asked to lay out the maths for Switch sales in November, but no such attempt has been made by you guys. That leaves us with two options:

1. You guys comprehend maths and realize that the numbers don't add up, so you are content with trying to get a rise out of people.

Also, as has been pointed out, VGC isn't the only sales website where Nintendo's PR is called into question. It's the same on ResetEra. Do you believe in a widespread pro-Switch conspiracy?

Ha, now that you talk about resetera and conspiracy. They just locked down a thread that showed how great PS4 did in Spain in Black Friday saying there was already another thread with that info. BUT, the other day when UK Black Friday news came and it showed the growth of games from PS4, XBO and Switch, some poster created a separate thread talking about how nintendo games sold so good in UK in that week (despite the games growing far less than the ps4 and xbo named in the article), reaching even more views and comments that the initial thread and Resetera did nothing about it.

And yesterday i saw resetera discussing PS4 and Switch sales worldwide, and even Benji said without doubting, that Switch will probably sell more than PS4 worldwide this year, because it seems Switch will reach their goal of 20M for FY and that PS4 will go WAY DOWN YOY next year....How can he know this if he can't know exactly what PS4 and Switch did even in this month??

Resetera is out of control recently, and not only in discussions about sales, but about everything.

Edit: And now i'm seeing that the poster that created that news about ps4 in Spain is calling out the mods for locking the thread..., and with good reason.

Last edited by colafitte - on 30 November 2018

Spiderman black Friday in spain = heavily bundled with PS4
Last year BF number PS4 = 100K

Basically, free Spiderman copies for the most sales part. Hardly deserved its own thread
For example 1K copies of full price Zelda BOTW > 100K of heavily discounted and free copies of Spiderman

Fortunately, NPD top games list is sorted by Revenue so fake copies like that will not count toward the chart.

Revenue tells the true story than the unit sales especially for Sony titles which are always getting a heavy discount in comparison to Nintendo titles. 

Last edited by LGBTDBZBBQ - on 30 November 2018

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Spiderman black Friday in spain = heavily bundled with PS4
Last year BF number PS4 = 100K

Basically, free Spiderman copies for the most sales part. Hardly deserved its own thread
For example 1K copies of full price Zelda BOTW > 100K of heavily discounted and free copies of Spiderman

I guess that you're quoting me...., I was close to not answering you, but i'm tired about misinformation....really....

In that same article it says that PS4 probably sold 60-75k units in Spain, so, not all the +100k units of Spiderman came "free" like you say and GOW sold 22k copies during that week too amongst a lot of other ps4 titles doing very good that week.

But ey...., I guess you decide what to censor or not....

Take a look again at the price of Spidey and GOW on black Friday in Spain+Free bundled = 100K

The same reason why SMO, Zelda BOTW, and MK8D are above GOW in NPD chart despite releasing earlier than GOW and with GOW huge promotions at discounted prices.
SMP 2nd Month > Spidey 2nd Month in the US
Revenue > Unit.

Sony titles literally have no chance of entering that chart because of the sales price. Go take a look at BOTW price vs HZD price. 

Last edited by LGBTDBZBBQ - on 30 November 2018

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Take a look again at the price of Spidey and GOW on black Friday in Spain+Free bundled = 100K

The same reason why SMO, Zelda BOTW, and MK8D are above GOW in NPD chart despite releasing earlier than GOW and with GOW huge promotions at discounted prices.
SMP 2nd Month > Spidey 2nd Month in the US
Revenue > Unit.

Look, i'm not going to insist discussing this, because by the way is off topic, so i'll finish this from my part saying that i was not discussing which one sells better or not, just that one thread was closed because it was great news about PS4 games and the other that was great for Switch games was not....that's all.

And by the way, Spiderman was sold at 40€ out of that bundle...., if Spiderman sold 40k in Spain that way...., that's a lot for my country, i live here, i can guarantee you that.

That's why the thread was closed because it was too normal. It's like saying Knack was a huge success because of 300K opening day sales in Japan and leaving the real context behind the sales number.

How is PS4 selling 60-75k units in a single smaller European country like Spain even remotely 'normal'?

Megiddo said:
How is PS4 selling 60-75k units in a single smaller European country like Spain even remotely 'normal'?

NIntendo games that went from selling 3-5k to 8-10k during a time where sales pick up, and pokemon launch giving them a boost is  is much bigger news.

StarDoor said:
quickrick said:

Its the consensus at resetera for 2 reasons people there think benji data>>> Nintendo data and they don't wanna believe any negative numbers till its 1000%  confirmed which why I can't  wait for the reactions when NPD comes out.

If you're so confident, then why can't you answer my simple questions?

1) How much did Switch sell before Thanksgiving?
2) How much did Switch sell between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday?

RolStoppable said:

Have we addressed the $250M in sales portion of the PR? $250,000,000/$300 per switch = 833,333 switch units and that's assuming zero software and other hardware sales. TAX no included.

pretty much confirms nintendo PR numbers being real, or i know nintendo made a mistake on those numbers as well.

Last edited by quickrick - on 30 November 2018