By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PR: Nintendo Switch Best Selling week Ever (US) (8.2mil+Sold Switches LTD) [Update: 8.6mil+]

So Switch will be over 1 million for November. Got it.

Around the Network

A simple explanation for all of this is that NPD isn't always 100% accurate. So what do they do when they aren't accurate? They do adjustments just like VGC, but they don't adjust previous months. They adjust it within the next month, or future months. So in all seriousness, NPD could have overtracked the Switch up to October and the true LTD could have been less than or more than 7.3m. We won't ever know what adjustments they make but November NPD posted numbers could be wildly different than actual sales.

RolStoppable said:
Megiddo said:

Sounds about right for a system that was extremely hard to come by post-launch that was then given a comparatively big restock.

You can look at weekly Japanese sales for the same time period and check if a stock variation of that magnitude is realistic.

Why the same time period? I could look at something like July in Japan where it sold

25k, 28k, 30k, 100k, 90k

There's no shocker that once Splatoon 2 released there was a big restock over there. That tended to be Nintendo's modus operandi last year for when they were struggling heavily to keep up with demand. A small trickle and then a big restock once there was a big game release.

StarDoor said:
quickrick said:

Its the consensus at resetera for 2 reasons people there think benji data>>> Nintendo data and they don't wanna believe any negative numbers till its 1000%  confirmed which why I can't  wait for the reactions when NPD comes out.

If you're so confident, then why can't you answer my simple questions?

1) How much did Switch sell before Thanksgiving?
2) How much did Switch sell between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday?

How am i suppose yo know this? we don't have that kind of data on hand so its all baseless speculation. i'm confident because 800-900k sounds like a realistic  number, and nintendo is the one providing the number, and they are providing in a very detailed way. last time so  provided numbers LTD in the US, they were exactly on point with NPD. 

RolStoppable said:
Megiddo said:

Why the same time period? I could look at something like July in Japan where it sold

25k, 28k, 30k, 100k, 90k

There's no shocker that once Splatoon 2 released there was a big restock over there. That tended to be Nintendo's modus operandi last year for when they were struggling heavily to keep up with demand. A small trickle and then a big restock once there was a big game release.

Because the same time period makes for a much better comparison.

The flaw of your comparison is that the Splatoon 2 release coincides with the date of increased production capacity getting into the marketplace, so the restock for the release week of Splatoon 2 was bigger than usual as well as all following weeks had a notable higher baseline than prior to Splatoon 2.

Your suggested size of the restock for April 2017 in the USA is simply unrealistic and you know it. That's why you opted for a different time period in the first place.

You're going to have to source me with that increased production capacity claim. Because everything I read and know say that the increased production wasn't even getting started until September (and not very shockingly, that's when the shortages slowly started to dissipate)

Around the Network
quickrick said:
StarDoor said:

If you're so confident, then why can't you answer my simple questions?

1) How much did Switch sell before Thanksgiving?
2) How much did Switch sell between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday?

How am i suppose yo know this? we don't have that kind of data on hand so its all baseless speculation. i'm confident because 800-900k sounds like a realistic  number, and nintendo is the one providing the number, and they are providing in a very detailed way. last time so  provided numbers LTD in the US, they were exactly on point with NPD. 

The only reason you're confident is that you don't know what you're talking about and you're unwilling to actually think through the implications of that 800-900k number. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you won't answer, since there's no way for you to split the sales without looking foolish.

StarDoor said:
quickrick said:

The only reason you're confident is that you don't know what you're talking about and you're unwilling to actually think through the implications of that 800-900k number. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you won't answer, since there's no way for you to split the sales without looking foolish.

Well see who looks foolish when NPD comes out and matches nintendo numbers or will be very close to nintendo numbers. if you are so confident make a 2 week avatar bet if switch  does  over 1.1 million. you win, if not i win.

quickrick said:
StarDoor said:

Well see who looks foolish when NPD comes out and matches nintendo numbers or will be very close to nintendo numbers. if you are so confident make a 2 week avatar bet if switch  does  over 1.1 million. you win, if not i win.

I thought you said Switch would sell between 800k-950k for Nov?

PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

I thought you said Switch would sell between 800k-950k for Nov?

That was my prediction. based on nintendo LTD number it seems like it will hit a million, but since i'm making a bet i like to the on the safer side.  

And it's fairly generous. After all, since if the Switch did better than 800k for Black Friday and you add that with Pokemon launch, it should be far, far beyond 1.1m. Should be an easy bet to take up if one holds that the ~900k was just referring to the Black Friday sales and all of Nov 3-21 just simply wasn't added in for whatever reason.

@RolStoppable Circumstantial at best, but more than I can come up with, so I'll cede that point. Just gonna wait for NPD leaks. Last edited by Megiddo - on 29 November 2018