By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fortnite hits 200 million players mark.

CuCabeludo said:
Barkley said:

Wouldn't say that. The last time the total registered players was revealed for League of Legends was 2012, when they had 32m Monthly Active Players and 70m Total Players.

Back in 2016 they said League was now getting 100m players each month so I wouldn't be surprised if Lol was now higher than 200m registered players.

Last time I checked, it has 125 million players, and rumors say it has lost 20% players due to the last patch changes which turned the game less strategic in favor of more speed.

The fortnite figure you give is not active players, it's total players/accounts.

If league was at 70m accounts with just 32m active players, then 4 years later with 100m active players accounts were no doubt over 200m.

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:
Isn't it still tracking below other games in estimated revenue ?
Would love to know if anyone has an explanation for it.
Also, did it officially become the most played game worldwide ?

Fornite is swimming in money.
Back in "May 2018" it was makeing 318m $ (for 1 month) (before it was on android).

Its extremly profitable, so I dont see the issue.

Kerotan said:
The surprise smash hit of last year just keeps getting bigger. It's taking over the BR market and it ain't slowing down

Whats crazy is that this game was doing poorly, then they decide to double down on it, rework some of the modes and suddenly its a out of the world success story.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 November 2018

vivster said:
Flilix said:
Is that the number of people who play it regularly, or the total number of downloads.

Have a wild guess.

Rocket League has sold over 50m at 20 bucks. Concurrent player peaks are around 200k. I wonder if Fortnite is still played after 3 years.

Then that's not particulary impressive, for a free game. It's nowhere near games such as Candy Crush and Subway Surfers.

Flilix said:
vivster said:

Have a wild guess.

Rocket League has sold over 50m at 20 bucks. Concurrent player peaks are around 200k. I wonder if Fortnite is still played after 3 years.

Then that's not particulary impressive, for a free game. It's nowhere near games such as Candy Crush and Subway Surfers.

So fortnite hasn't been impressive? I think I've heard it all. 

Around the Network
Barkley said:
CuCabeludo said:

Basically twice the numbers of League of Legends.

Wouldn't say that. The last time the total registered players was revealed for League of Legends was 2012, when they had 32m Monthly Active Players and 70m Total Players.

Back in 2016 they said League was now getting 100m players each month so I wouldn't be surprised if Lol was now higher than 200m registered players.

MOBA as a genre has decreased in popularity a lot since 2016. It's not even a competition right now between mobas and battle royales, the latter being much more popular.

Barkley said:
CuCabeludo said:

Basically twice the numbers of League of Legends.

To be fair, I believe (can't stress this enough) League has been on a decline in the last two years. Nothing massive, they still get a ton of viewers for their finals but generally speaking, the internet seemed to agree that numbers were slowing down. I don't think Riot has released these sort of information in the past 2 years or so, or at least they aren't as public about it. I read your response to somebody else, thought it was active users, disregard all of this.

OT: I will never understand how this got so popular, looks even more repetitive than MOBAs (and I love league). Seems like Epic games is being pretty kind and helpful to the community and they aren't being scummy.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Mordred11 said:
Barkley said:

MOBA as a genre has decreased in popularity a lot since 2016. It's not even a competition right now between mobas and battle royales, the latter being much more popular.

Yes league has declined, there's no official data for 2017 but estimates put it at 81m monthly active players, as opposed to the 100m for 2016. So this year probably a lot lower again.

But I was just saying Fortnites 200m registered players isn't double league, regardless of how popular each game is at the minute.

I think they deserve it. People give this game shit unnecessarily. It puts a new spin on the BR mode with the whole building mechanic which makes for some pretty insane battles.

Flilix said:
Is that the number of people who play it regularly, or the total number of downloads.

its the number of people with Epic accounts that have downloaded and loaded up the game at least once