By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Which developer should Sony acquire?

?

Platinum Games - Bayonetta 7 10.14%

From Software - Dark Souls, Bloodborne 19 27.54%

Codemasters - Grid, Dirt 1 1.45%

Kojima Productions - Death Stranding 20 28.99%

DontNod - Vampyr 0 0%

Others 14 20.29%

Multiple developers 8 11.59%

Total:69

Sony's 1st party line up is fine they don't really need to aquire anyone. That being said I'm surprised they don't own insomniac. Aside from that absolutely not platinum, both Nintendo and square have done more for them than anyone if platinum is getting bought out it should be one of them 

Around the Network

None needed

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I have to admit I'm conflicted overall. On the one hand, I'm very excited that Microsoft is acquiring studios. On the other hand, I don't really want Sony to acquire Platinum Games, From Software, etc. Maybe it's because Microsoft's acquisitions are of much smaller studios, who range from start ups to practically indie devs. From Software and Platinum Games just make too many awesome games and are so known among so many platforms ... it would feel kind of fucked if they became Sony only. I guess you could say the same about Ninja Theory or Obsidian, except Obsidian's biggest projects were just licensed out to them and Ninja Theory's game got more praise than it did sales (not to mention, Microsoft is still letting a few of their acquisitions bring over their games onto other platforms - granted that will probably stop once Xbox 4 comes out). Or maybe it's just because this would affect me, i'm not above admitting bias (although it wouldn't really affect me, not like i'm skipping out on PS5).

Anyways, the biggest acquisition and the only one that I really think would be both fair and understandable is Kojima Productions. Kojima and Playstation just go together I guess, butt buddies, they work well together.

i have a hunch sony might acquire Blue Point games and Housemarque also wont be surprised If Insomniac Folds.. But i would rather be more interested if they re-opened their old studios Like Evolution and Zipper Interactive.. also prioritize some of dormant IP's, Getaway, LoD, Colony Wars for VR, Heavenly Sword, Syphon Filter, Pursuit Force, freedom wars

From Software

Insomniac

Chrystal Dynamics

Around the Network
Carl said:
They don't need to.

Sony 1st party has never been so successful, showing fresh ideas and seeing big returns.

Just keep making exclusive publishing deals with 3rd parties.

You are seeing the here and now, not the then and there. Microsoft's acquisitions will have products in a few years and Sony will have a massive force to deal. Obsidian has made some really fan loved RPGs and that itself will bring people to Microsoft products. Ninja Theory could make a phenomenal hack and slash game as DMC Devil May Cry had the combat depth sorted. Playground Games will still make phenomenal arcade racing games. Turn 10 makes pretty good simulation racers. Microsoft already has first and third person shooters in their bag as far as exclusives are concerned. They could get the PR on their sides pretty quickly with these releases.

Intrinsic said:
How come no one has punched a hole in this guys theory so far?

Do you have any idea how many studios first and second party sony has under its belt. Even if MS acquires 5 studios it still wont be at par.

Most Sony studios do jack. London Studio makes nothing, Bend hasn't made a game since Golden Abyss and Days Gone is hardly blowing people's minds, Media Molecule hasn't madea  successful game since LittleBigPlanet 2. Polyphony releases one game per gen and that too with a caveat. I adore GT Sport but it has got so many blatant flaws with regards to content that has been easily exploited by the competition and journalists who go by the PR and hype and people who haven't already played it don't see it as a good game. Sony needs more developers.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
ResilientFighter said:
Insomniac
Supermassive games
Platinum
Monolith soft
From Software

Monolith Soft? As in the Xenoblade developers? 

That would never happen. Unless you mean Monolith Productions who made the Middle-Earth action series. 

If Platinum also means "Platinum Games" than nah, thanks, I'd like to keep Bayonetta 3 going.

Platinum would be more successful on PlayStation.

GOWTLOZ said:

Intrinsic said:

Do you have any idea how many studios first and second party sony has under its belt. Even if MS acquires 5 studios it still wont be at par.

Most Sony studios do jack. London Studio makes nothing, Bend hasn't made a game since Golden Abyss and Days Gone is hardly blowing people's minds, Media Molecule hasn't madea  successful game since LittleBigPlanet 2. Polyphony releases one game per gen and that too with a caveat. I adore GT Sport but it has got so many blatant flaws with regards to content that has been easily exploited by the competition and journalists who go by the PR and hype and people who haven't already played it don't see it as a good game. Sony needs more developers.

So what are you really saying? That the existing teams should do more or that sony should close them down and get new studios?

Cause what I am telling you is that sony already has more studios that either nintendo or MS, even after MS new batch of aquisitions. Now if the games those studios make or don't make isn`t to your liking is a different matter. But you honestly will be making a better argument if you were saying sony should get more out of their studios.

On another note, as far as exclusive output this gen, even with them underutilising their studios, sony has still managed an exclusive output of around 3-4 exclusives every single year. No other company can make that claim. And their exclusives are all doing very very well. 

Again, MS is playing catch up. Nintendo is nintendo ad sony is doing just fine.

I think it will surprise you if you make a list of all the true exclusives SWWS has brought to market either directly (made and published by sony) or indirectly (made by third party published by sony). If you did that you would see how stupid this notion of yours is.

GOWTLOZ said:
Carl said:
They don't need to.

Sony 1st party has never been so successful, showing fresh ideas and seeing big returns.

Just keep making exclusive publishing deals with 3rd parties.

You are seeing the here and now, not the then and there. Microsoft's acquisitions will have products in a few years and Sony will have a massive force to deal. Obsidian has made some really fan loved RPGs and that itself will bring people to Microsoft products. Ninja Theory could make a phenomenal hack and slash game as DMC Devil May Cry had the combat depth sorted. Playground Games will still make phenomenal arcade racing games. Turn 10 makes pretty good simulation racers. Microsoft already has first and third person shooters in their bag as far as exclusives are concerned. They could get the PR on their sides pretty quickly with these releases.

Intrinsic said:

That would never happen. Unless you mean Monolith Productions who made the Middle-Earth action series. 

If Platinum also means "Platinum Games" than nah, thanks, I'd like to keep Bayonetta 3 going.

Platinum would be more successful on PlayStation.

During the Scalebound period of time, Platinum Games talked at great lengths about how they've wanted to make that game for a long time, and - more generally - how they've always wanted a series that they could cultivate and could call their own, that could be successful. In that respect, while you can talk about sales figures all you want, Nintendo is keeping a large portion of Platinum Games employed - and they're the ones that made Bayonetta into an icon, as well as owning the parts of Bayonetta 2 and 3, so I don't really see your point ... as it seems to be very flawed. 

Granted Platinum Games most successful title was Nier Automata, but I believe the IP is owned by Square and the big head Yoko Taro isn't part of Platinum Games. Of course Bayonetta is owned by Sega, but Bayonetta has also only seen one developer throughout it's entire franchise ... it's not Bayonetta without Platinum, it could very easily be Nier and Drakengard without Platinum Games. 

Not to mention i'm pretty sure that in addition to wanting to own their own IP, they also said they'd want it to be multiplatform. So Platinum staying multiplatform is best for now. 

But yes, when you just completely forget all of those things .... Platinum would be more successful on Playstation 4 .... during the Wii U era. Let's see what happens when Bayonetta 3 comes out. 

Intrinsic said:

On another note, as far as exclusive output this gen, even with them underutilising their studios, sony has still managed an exclusive output of around 3-4 exclusives every single year. No other company can make that claim. And their exclusives are all doing very very well. 

Except Nintendo ... 

Also, if we're talking about games from studios Sony specifically owns, you don't get to include titles like Spider-Man, as Sony themselves don't even include it when addressing their worldwide studios. So I'm not sure why you changed the criteria mid-argument. 

ResilientFighter said:
Insomniac
Supermassive games
Platinum
Monolith soft
From Software

Do you know where xeno games used to be before nintendo? Ever hear of XENOSAGA

Platinum can make bayonetta 3 as the final game its already being developed then be bought by sony for exclusive titles