By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Company: Let's Go sold 3 million in first 3 days

BraLoD said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Your second statement is simply pathetic. It is quite possible that people can support both types of games - if both types of games are quality. Hell, the titles could pull two different audiences which means one's success does not detract the other's success in the least. New Super Mario Bros. existed but did that stop Mario Galaxy or its sequel from existing? I do not enjoy 3D Mario titles so should I want people to support 2D games instead of 3D games? Trying to take options away from the consumer (which is what your mentality leads to, ultimately) is selfish and backward. Especially since the way you are approaching this subject is objectively incorrect.

Why in the world would any company stop making one successful product to make a different successful product? Why would they not just make... ...I know this will sound crazy... ...TWO SUCCESSFUL PRODUCTS. You gotta extend your reach a bit. That selfishness is served salty.

The only thing pathetic here is the fact you can't deal with what I think without being rude and butthurt.

Your post doesn't cover any of what I posted goes about.

I'm not going over a side series as Mistery Dungeon, this is supposed to be a remake and they took out the single biggest gameplay mechanic the series has ever had, battling pokemon to capture them.

You can think whatever you like, but I don't want this shit spreading on mainline or remakes, I've just come out from Alpha Shappire which adds a TON of stuff to make the game better rather than changing a core gameplay mechanic to match a free mobile game.

You sound bitter and ill-informed 2-in-1. I don't even like Pokémon games all that much, and I can still clearly tell that this game has nothing to do with Go other than the capture Pokémon mechanic. You may have been excused to believe this, as I also thought this was a Go! spin off before release, but Gamefreak pulled a nice bait and switch tactic right there.

No shame admitting you are wrong. Your argument doesn't go far. This has very little that resembles Go!, they don't even play the same.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
DreadPirateRoberts said:

Define what makes this more of a cash grab than any other Pokemon title.

You didn't ask me but I'm butting in anyway! While Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is a blatant cash grab, essentially DLC that also forces you to buy the main game again, the amount of content in that game is at least up to par so the price isn't bad for those who didn't already get Sun/Moon. Like I've said many times now, Let's Go has 20% of the content Sun/Moon has at 1.5x the price. I'm not making that number up btw, 153 Pokemon out the total 809 is 18.91%. 

I'm not a Pokemon fan so maybe I just don't "get it" but honestly 809 Pokemon just sounds like overkill to me, like just an insane amount of padding/filler. Quantity isn't everything.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 November 2018

curl-6 said:

I'm not a Pokemon fan so maybe I just don't "get it" but honestly 809 Pokemon just sounds like ridiculous overkill to me, I think I'd much rather play a game with just 150 entirely new Pokemon and no recycled old ones than be flooded with so many, the majority of which are old hat.

I think that argument is a bit disingenuous anyway. I haven't played every Pokemon game, but I can't think of any that come ever close to having all 809 existing in the base game itself, i.e. roaming the wild available to be caught. In Sun/Moon for example, the game has around 200 available to catch, you only have access to the rest of the library if you trade with past games.

Not denying this game has less content...but I consider active playtime to be a better indicator of content than how many Pokemon I have access to. 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Lonely_Dolphin said:
DreadPirateRoberts said:

Define what makes this more of a cash grab than any other Pokemon title.

You didn't ask me but I'm butting in anyway! While Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is a blatant cash grab, essentially DLC that also forces you to buy the main game again, the amount of content in that game is at least up to par so the price isn't bad for those who didn't already get Sun/Moon. Like I've said many times now, Let's Go has 20% of the content Sun/Moon has at 1.5x the price. I'm not making that number up btw, 153 Pokemon out the total 809 is 18.91%. This doesn't take into account the many other features and options that were removed of course. The game has better graphics for sure, though not up to the standard of other Switch titles and the style has regressed going back to being chibi and grid based, but eh. I don't think because a game is in HD that automatically means it should be full price. Nintendo agrees, or atleast used to with releases like Tropical Freeze, Woolly World, Rainbow Curse, Treasure Tracker, Splatoon (outside US), etc. not going for full price.

To be fair:

-USUM is the model pokemon has adopted since the beginning. Yellow, crystal, emerald and platinum are all in the USUM model, and all of them do not add more then USUM.

-Lets Go had to add animations of each 150 +alolans pokemon following you, interacting with the enviroment, the animations of they normal lives and specific behavior in the tall grass while you don't approach them. Is far more much work for each pokemon. I don't expect to have all of this for all the 809 in the next game. And while they removed some mechanics, they add new ones that has more to do to the goal of the game. Chain combo, candies, coach trainers, getting rid of random encounters to show pokemon behavior in the world, adding an element of gameplay(you have to go to the pokemon youre seeing), even some for the competitive play as AVs, madam nature, perfect IVs on chain combos. 

But yeah, I agree that is still not great value for 60$. Great game with low value.

Super_Boom said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not a Pokemon fan so maybe I just don't "get it" but honestly 809 Pokemon just sounds like ridiculous overkill to me, I think I'd much rather play a game with just 150 entirely new Pokemon and no recycled old ones than be flooded with so many, the majority of which are old hat.

I think that argument is a bit disingenuous anyway. I haven't played every Pokemon game, but I can't think of any that come ever close to having all 809 existing in the base game itself, i.e. roaming the wild available to be caught. In Sun/Moon for example, the game has around 200 available to catch, you only have access to the rest of the library if you trade with past games.

Not denying this game has less content...but I consider active playtime to be a better indicator of content than how many Pokemon I have access to. 

Ooh, okay, my bad. The fact I hadn't played a Pokemon game since Red was showing, I thought he meant there were actually 809 Pokemon out in the world to catch, and that just sounded bonkers.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I'm not a Pokemon fan so maybe I just don't "get it" but honestly 809 Pokemon just sounds like overkill to me, like just an insane amount of padding/filler. Quantity isn't everything.

"You hear that Mr. Sakurai? Instead of including everyone, better cut all fighters down to the original 12, that'll somehow make for a better game and not a worse one!"

They aren't filler, they're what define the gameplay. More characters means more options and possibilitys.

Super_Boom said:

Of course I mean that they're in the game even if not available in the wild. GTS gives you access to all Pokemon even if you don't have any other games.

Are you saying how much content there is isn't a good indicator for how much content there is? Whut lol? Playtime isn't a good indicator as it's completely variable, dependent on the player and not necessarily on how much content there is. One person might play a game for 10 hours while another plays the same game for 1000. Only thing that can be said here is that more content means the game is more likely to hold the player's attention.

jonathanalis said:

To be fair:

-USUM is the model pokemon has adopted since the beginning. Yellow, crystal, emerald and platinum are all in the USUM model, and all of them do not add more then USUM.

-Lets Go had to add animations of each 150 +alolans pokemon following you, interacting with the enviroment, the animations of they normal lives and specific behavior in the tall grass while you don't approach them. Is far more much work for each pokemon. I don't expect to have all of this for all the 809 in the next game. And while they removed some mechanics, they add new ones that has more to do to the goal of the game. Chain combo, candies, coach trainers, getting rid of random encounters to show pokemon behavior in the world, adding an element of gameplay(you have to go to the pokemon youre seeing), even some for the competitive play as AVs, madam nature, perfect IVs on chain combos. 

But yeah, I agree that is still not great value for 60$. Great game with low value.

There's no reason to still use that model now that we're in the era of dlc, no reason besides greed of course.

We all know Gamefreak is lazy, no need to tell me that lel. They can atleast somewhat reach modern day standards when they try though. They gave all Pokemon high quality 3D models in Gen 6, and walking animations for every Pokemon was datamined in Sun/Moon, so I think we can expect Gen 8 to have that level of animation if not higher for all Pokemon.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
curl-6 said:

"You hear that Mr. Sakurai? Instead of including everyone, better cut all fighters down to the original 12, that'll somehow make for a better game and not a worse one!"

They aren't filler, they're what define the gameplay. More characters means more options and possibilitys.

Still sounds to be like equating quantity to quality. Maybe this is just me, but I'd prefer a game to focus on making high grade content rather than a ridonkulous amount of it.

curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Still sounds to be like equating quantity to quality. Maybe this is just me, but I'd prefer a game to focus on making high grade content rather than a ridonkulous amount of it.

It is, this is a case where the difference in quality is based on quantity, i.e. a 2lb bag of Twix is simply superior to a 1lb bag for the same price.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
curl-6 said:

It is, this is a case where the difference in quality is based on quantity, i.e. a 2lb bag of Twix is simply superior to a 1lb bag for the same price.

Except in this case we're not necessarily talking about 2 bags of Twix, it could be like 1 bag of Twix versus 2 bags that are 1/3 twix and 2/3 styrofoam.

curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Except in this case we're not necessarily talking about 2 bags of Twix, it could be like 1 bag of Twix versus 2 bags that are 1/3 twix and 2/3 styrofoam.

Nope there is no could, we know exactly what's in Let's Go and previous Pokemon games. Only 151 + 2 new ones in Let's Go, whereas recent Pokemon games have those same 151 with more to do with them + hundreds more at a lower price.