By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Friends, gamers, VR players lend me your.. opinions on Playstation VR.

Moss definitely is not a blurry mess. Use the eye calibration tool if there are any problems with blur, and don't be afraid to move the helmet about once on your head, till is exactly right.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
John2290 said:
Did it arrive yet Bandor? Impressions?

It has finally arrived.  First it got delayed. Then thanksgiving delayed it again. Then I got an e-mail saying "whoops, how about monday".  Then it came late enough Monday I didn't have time to set it up.

I believe it is now set up. I'm fairly unsure about a lot of things.

Like I thought light was bad, but it tells me I need more light for the camera to see me.  Some things look blurry some don't.

Astro Boy looks great, where as Moss looks like a blurry mess. If I can play Astro boy while sitting down and my camera on top of the TV - why do I have to move it for moss?

Also the "make sure your centered" thing is really weird.  One of them I'm looking for red and blue dots. Yet another I'm looking for a weird shadow I think?

The demo disc has an under water one. It is really creepy to look down and not see any feet.

Astro buy is great. I got all the "astros" in the first level, but what is that last icon? It looks like a lizard or something?

You need to spot the lizards to unlock the challenge levels. Each level has one.

Moss works perfectly fine with the camera on top of the tv while sitting down. Light is just a suggestion, you can play in pitch dark without issues. I have started VR sessions while it was still light outside to re-enter the real world in a pitch dark room lol.

If it's blurry you might have to re-adjust the headset to the sweet spot (move it slightly around on your head) Do the eye calibration test first anyway, under settings, devices, psvr, measure eye to eye distance. You need the lights on for that :) (And not wear the helmet as I was doing lol)

It's a concept that screams "this will be a lot better next generation", its very clearly a tech that's in its "clumsy baby" phase and needs more time to be refined.

Having said that there are very definitely moments when playing VR where you get the sensation of "this is revolutionary" in a way that no other game hardware can provide this generation. Switch is neat, PS4/XB1 are standard-ish upgrades, but VR can really take your breath away when done correctly.

I've had PS VR since ... yesterday. I've been holding out because I didn't feel that the technology was there but Black Friday got me. Thus far I notice that I'm really quite susceptible to motion sickness ... I only managed about twenty minutes of Skyrim before taking a break and anything that involved sustained forward movement is pretty awful. Maybe I'll get used to it. Astrobot and Tetris Effect are no problem at all though: both very good although Astrobot is clearly the better “VR” game since Tetris only uses Virtual Reality to tart up the 2D game.

I set up the camera at an angle and that seems to work well ... no tracking problems for me so far although intermittent drift is a thing. By lifting the front headband as high as possible on my head I have a reasonably sharp picture quality except where the game itself is rather blurred, as seems to be the case with the hub on VR Worlds.

The big surprise for me has been TV. Despite the resolution limitations of the eye pieces, 3D is great on the headset and I watched Kraftwerk 3D and Dredd 3D today for long periods with no obvious fatigue. No need for headphones of course which is just as well since mine don't really fit over the sides of the headband.

My current feeling about PS VR is: “if you haven't tried it you don't know”. I've heard lots of other people's impressions but actually experiencing it is something else competely.

Sordel said:
I've had PS VR since ... yesterday. I've been holding out because I didn't feel that the technology was there but Black Friday got me. Thus far I notice that I'm really quite susceptible to motion sickness ... I only managed about twenty minutes of Skyrim before taking a break and anything that involved sustained forward movement is pretty awful. Maybe I'll get used to it. Astrobot and Tetris Effect are no problem at all though: both very good although Astrobot is clearly the better “VR” game since Tetris only uses Virtual Reality to tart up the 2D game.

I set up the camera at an angle and that seems to work well ... no tracking problems for me so far although intermittent drift is a thing. By lifting the front headband as high as possible on my head I have a reasonably sharp picture quality except where the game itself is rather blurred, as seems to be the case with the hub on VR Worlds.

The big surprise for me has been TV. Despite the resolution limitations of the eye pieces, 3D is great on the headset and I watched Kraftwerk 3D and Dredd 3D today for long periods with no obvious fatigue. No need for headphones of course which is just as well since mine don't really fit over the sides of the headband.

My current feeling about PS VR is: “if you haven't tried it you don't know”. I've heard lots of other people's impressions but actually experiencing it is something else competely.

My old headset had quite a bit of drift issues. It got better with patches but never went away. The ZVR2 unit I got on BF seems to work a lot better. At first while I was calibrating it and trying it out I didn't even have the camera plugged in and it was working fine. The old one I had to reset the viewpoint about every race in DC VR. That one still drifts in the menu and with video / browsing, yet in games it is stable now. I'm guessing the software doesn't use the camera when you're watching video.

Skyrim is rather advanced for motion sickness, although you can switch to teleportation. Don't miss out on Statik and I expect you to die, no motion sickness there. Psychonauts and the Rombus of ruin is also a very comfortable (short) adventure.

RE7 is also better for motion sickness and for me setting rotation to the fastest speed seems to work best.

Around the Network

You do get VR legs after a while if you suffer from motion sickness, but Ginger in capsule form or a drink is extremely good for motion sickness. You won't have to use these supplements forever either, just long enough for the brain to adjust.

Hmm, while the new headset is great and the new box does pass through 4K + HDR, I seem to be back to cable swapping. My Sony tv (X900E) keeps switching input to HDMI 1 when I access the ps menu in a game. Same going back to the game from the menu. (quick menu, psn menu or switching to background app) My ps4 pro is connected to HDMI 2... (the port for 4K HDR). Without the box the tv correctly switches to HDMI 2 when the ps4 turns on or when you switch between applications (I guess that triggers a HDMI handshake). Why does it get it wrong with the box in between. Sony tv not cooperating with Sony stuff doh!

And today it's working fine with the breakout box in between, no more weird input switching. The tv still lists the incorrect option from yesterday as "Tuner1 (HDMI 1) Playstation VR" Yet now it's correctly using "Player1 (HDMI 2) Playstation 4" I didn't name any of that, just popped up in the list of inputs. The mysteries of modern tech.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 28 November 2018

Here's the best advice I can give. First off, there's no doubt in my mind that vr is the future of gaming. There wasn't a single gaming experience I played in vr that didn't blow my mind. With that said, after 5 months of gaming, I'm no longer a psvr owner.
Motion sickness in a very real thing and it's what ultimately decided the fate for mine. To conclude, if you haven't put a good 30-40 hours into playing in vr, then I wouldn't advise a purchase. But considering the cost point and all other factors, 200 bucks isn't a bad loss if you end up like I did. I actually walked away close to even when it was all said and done.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

I jumped on the PS4 Pro pretty quickly after getting a PSVR. I didn't really play a lot of VR games with the standard PS4. Maybe Moss looks blurry because of the weaker hardware?

John2290 said:
It's been a horrible couple of months for traditional games, outside of Red deads single player (and maybe P
C, I haven't been keeping up) Just disappointment after disappointment but PSVR has pulled us through. Weekly cascades of games keep coming and there seems to be something really enjoyable each week. If it wasn't for PSVR I wouldn't have touched games in the last month. I effing love this platform so damn much.

While I definitely disagree on the disappointments of traditional games, Astro Bot is my GOTY despite RDR and GoW. I haven’t felt this way since I got my first PS1 and my PSVR makes me feel like that every single time I put it on.

This year has been really great in terms of software. I’m curious what surprises next year wll bring, especially since Shu has stated more substantial games are on the way.