By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch idea: dual aiming rail shooter

Pointer controls are a great fit for a third person rail shooter. The speed and accuracy of a pointer makes it a great fit for the genre. The Switch has two Joy-Con controllers, and as shown by games like Captain Toad, they can make pretty good pointing devices with their gyroscope. Since each Joy-Con has most of the same sensors, One idea that could be cool to see is a third person rail shooter with a dual gun aiming mechanic, where you have to aim and shoot two streams of fire independently throughout the level. Neonwall tried this concept somewhat, but I'm more so talking about something like Sin & Punishment with two guns you need to keep track of. The pointing functions of the Joy-Con aren't perfect though, unlike the Wii Remote, there's no IR reference point to rely on, it's all gyro, which means the cursor itself can go off-center occasionally. But they're a good enough replacement provided there's a recenter button and sensitivity settings.

Around the Network

Would be nice if they ported some good Wii and PS-Move Rail Shooters.

Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Collection (including Overkill), Resident Evil Darkside+Umbrella Chronicles.

And I'd also love these games as VR version on PS4 or PC.

Conina said:
Would be nice if they ported some good Wii and PS-Move Rail Shooters.

Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Collection (including Overkill), Resident Evil Darkside+Umbrella Chronicles.

And I'd also love these games as VR version on PS4 or PC.

That’s a great idea, for both Switch and PSVR :)

I’d double dip on some of those.

I loved Dead Space:Extraction, HoD:Overkill and Umbrella Chronicles.  I'd probably dbl dip on those...but as others mentioned, joycon aren't exactly a wiimote.

Kwaidd said:

I loved Dead Space:Extraction, HoD:Overkill and Umbrella Chronicles.  I'd probably dbl dip on those...but as others mentioned, joycon aren't exactly a wiimote.

I'm less so talking about light gun games, and more so talking about third person rail shooters like Sin & Punishment or the flying sections of Kid Icarus: Uprising, where you have to move your character around in addition to aiming and firing. 

Around the Network

I believe the eshop title Astrabreed is like that with third person shooting on rails with different Sin and Punishment style perspective changes.

I'd be game! There are some rail shooters on the Wii that areloads of fun, and Switch would be even better.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.