By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 announcement coming mid 2019 and more info at PSX 2019

Mr Puggsly said:

I don't think the slightly thicker HDDs would be an issue for a home console.

On a side note, maybe MS and Sony will use stats to determine if HDD or SSD is the best route. For example, if MS really wants people using the subscriptions like Xbox Live ("free games"), EA Access or Game Pass then a massive storage HDD is crucial. But if the average user is just playing a few titles that fits in a 1TB SSD, well moving to SSD makes sense.

12mm hard drives will only not be an issue if the consoles are built to accommodate them. Right now you can't fit a 12mm HDD into a PS4.

A massive storage is never actually crucial. Its just a convenience feature. Say next gen games average in size from 30-120GB. You will still be able to fit around 8 to 30 games in a 1TB drive. And if support for external drives are there from day one, gamers can always buy an external drive and just copy games they aren't actively playing onto the external drive.

Point is there is a perfectly viable solution to not having "as much storage" as some gamers may want. But there isn't a solution to the limitations that putting in a HDD will bring from day one through the life of the console. 

And its not just about loading times, its also about streaming in assets to avoid pop in or sectional loading. As these assets become bigger so will the bandwidth required to stream them in.

Pemalite said:
Intrinsic said:

By 2020 and if prices continue dropping as they have been as the industry has fully jumped onto SSD storage, a 1TB SSD could be as little as $80 on amazon. 

It's interesting you mention 2020 and prices continuing to drop... The same will hold true for mechanical drives as well you know.
2tb drives are getting cheaper and cheaper.

And dare I say.... it may even end up being cheaper for them to use nand flash storage than using a HDD. Lets take that 1TB size as an example. I have no doubt that by 2020 it shouldn't cost them as OEMs more than $40 for an M.2 sata QLC nand flash SSD. But then these are consoles we are talking about. What stops them from just all out skipping the M.2 drive and solder the storage modules directly onto the board instead. How much would that cost them then? Definately less than $40. 

And while I get that consoles pretty much always go the cheapest route thats not always the case. Some times the value of a component with regards to the genera architecture of the system design will take precedence. Like using GDDR5 even though there were cheaper options. Or like using a vacum chamber even though they could have used a cheaper cooling solution ad just made it bigger.

I believe that if there is a single benefit to be gained from using nand flash storage then they would go with that instead. Especially when considerring future proofing the platform.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Intrinsic said:

By 2020 and if prices continue dropping as they have been as the industry has fully jumped onto SSD storage, a 1TB SSD could be as little as $80 on amazon. 

It's interesting you mention 2020 and prices continuing to drop... The same will hold true for mechanical drives as well you know.
2tb drives are getting cheaper and cheaper.

KBG29 said:

I don't see a need for external drives late next gen as look internal SSD's will offer more than enough space for 100's of titles. 

If the drives are only a terabyte or two... External storage will still be a must.

Mr Puggsly said:

I don't think the slightly thicker HDDs would be an issue for a home console.

They aren't. It's just a common design choice that Microsoft and Sony take for whatever reason.
Notebook drives tend to have the advantage of lower heat and noise as well.

At the start of next gen External drives will be necessary as internal M.2 Storage would be limited to 1- 2TB due to cost. As we move into the generation, SSD Capacity is expected to make exponential leaps, while HDD has little out look for capacity gains. 

By 2024 or the mid way point for next gen, we will very likely be looking at 8 - 16TB SSD's in the price range of 1 & 2TB HDD's today. People willing to pay $500, $1,000, $1,500 or more will have 32, 64, & 128TB options. 

If Sony sticks with HDD, they will be limited to slow read speeds all gen, and eventuallly they will hit a wall in capacity. HDD is short term gain, mid term loss, and early obsolescence. SSD is a short term loss, with midterm gain, and late life prosperity.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Intrinsic said:

And its not just about loading times, its also about streaming in assets to avoid pop in or sectional loading. As these assets become bigger so will the bandwidth required to stream them in.

There are other ways to get around that issue, namely compression, which tends to be CPU heavy... A few games of the 7th gen took that route for instance to get around the low bandwidth of the DVD/BD-Rom drive.

Intrinsic said:

And dare I say.... it may even end up being cheaper for them to use nand flash storage than using a HDD. Lets take that 1TB size as an example. I have no doubt that by 2020 it shouldn't cost them as OEMs more than $40 for an M.2 sata QLC nand flash SSD. But then these are consoles we are talking about. What stops them from just all out skipping the M.2 drive and solder the storage modules directly onto the board instead. How much would that cost them then? Definately less than $40.

Absolutely nothing stops them from soldering it directly to the motherboard.

Intrinsic said:

And while I get that consoles pretty much always go the cheapest route thats not always the case. Some times the value of a component with regards to the genera architecture of the system design will take precedence. Like using GDDR5 even though there were cheaper options. Or like using a vacum chamber even though they could have used a cheaper cooling solution ad just made it bigger.

Well. The Xbox One did go with DDR3... And the Playstation 4 wasn't using the fastest GDDR5 anyway... And the Switch is using LPDDR4.
Not to mention the consoles only had 8GB of the stuff.

Price is the most important factor to building a console, they are cost sensitive devices that cannot have high-end components.

Intrinsic said:

I believe that if there is a single benefit to be gained from using nand flash storage then they would go with that instead. Especially when considerring future proofing the platform.

Microsoft used NAND with the Xbox 360, granted it was only 4GB, but the precedent is there.

KBG29 said:

At the start of next gen External drives will be necessary as internal M.2 Storage would be limited to 1- 2TB due to cost. As we move into the generation, SSD Capacity is expected to make exponential leaps, while HDD has little out look for capacity gains.

How sure are you about that?
Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording and Microwave-assisted recording are all next-gen mechanical HDD technologies that should push HDD capacities up towards 20 Terabytes per drive in a 3.5" form factor before 2020.

Mechanical Disks have stagnated for the last few years, just like CPU's and GPU's, but that won't last forever.

KBG29 said:

By 2024 or the mid way point for next gen, we will very likely be looking at 8 - 16TB SSD's in the price range of 1 & 2TB HDD's today. People willing to pay $500, $1,000, $1,500 or more will have 32, 64, & 128TB options.

People have been claiming SSD's will have exponential increases in capacities for years... And we are still at only 500GB in the Mid-Range, 120GB in the low-end.

KBG29 said:

If Sony sticks with HDD, they will be limited to slow read speeds all gen, and eventuallly they will hit a wall in capacity. HDD is short term gain, mid term loss, and early obsolescence. SSD is a short term loss, with midterm gain, and late life prosperity.

High-end mechanical disks should give a DRAM-less QLC nand SSD a run for it's money, especially in sequential reads.
Especially hybrid drives.

I mean shit... EMMC Nand drives make me want to take up smoking meth, I would prefer a semi-decent 5400rpm mechanical disk over those, especially if it's a hybrid drive.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

That wont happen.Sony is skipping E3 for a reason.

What is most likely to happen:Either Sony just shows PS5 at PSX without any previous showing or warning, or they will have a preshow around october to fully reveal it at PSX.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Intrinsic said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think they're gonna stick with standard HDDs for years to come simply because its more space for the price. Given the size of games now, I would hope the 9th gen launches with 2TB HDDs.

I strongly doubt they will. And for a number of reasons.

If consoles opt to go with HDDs again, then in about 3 years time they could find themselves as the only ones still using that antiquated technology. I mean right now even $300 laptops come with 128GB m.2 SSDs. And then there is performance. HDDs are slow. But lets put this into context; Right now we have ~5GB of RAM available for games in the current consoles. I think its safe to say that next gen that allotment will at the very least double. Using a HDD we already have games that take around 30 - 70 secs to load in a level or stage. If the RAM size doubles and game asset sizes double too then it will literally take twice as long to load up that level. We are going into a gen of higher rez textures on everything including shadows and the usual bump in general assets and code. Thats not going to be very pleasant at all.

I really don't think they will have any problem at all launching these consoles with 500GB on an M.2 drive. Those things cost around $70 right now on amazon which means that in about 18 months they could be down to as little as $50. That means it will cost Sony and MS (OEM pricing) as little as $30 for a 500GB M.2 SSD. They just launch with that and allow ext HDD support from day one so gamers can backup games they aren't actively playing. And even allow gamers upgrade their internal SSD if they want to.

Its simply the best way to go forward. They could even get 1TB drives for as little as $50 at the time. 

Thing is, the only real cost of going with an SSD is capacity. But it comes with a lot of benefits and ensures future proofing. But the second they put a HDD in there, they build in limitations that they will never be able to overcome for the rest of that generation. Because games are always built to the lowest spec....

While having 2TB in the box would be great.... that really means nothing to an end user. If asked to be able to store 32 games as opposed to 8 games in their consoles but then choose between an all round snappier UI and loading games in 15 seconds as opposed to 50 seconds..... its my guess that speed will win everytime. 

I would be fine with a 128Mb (or 256Mb) SSD that you keep the game you are currently playing with a 2TB HDD to store other digital games and an easy way to transfer from one to the other when you want to change the main game that you wish faster time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Intrinsic said:

There are other ways to get around that issue, namely compression, which tends to be CPU heavy... A few games of the 7th gen took that route for instance to get around the low bandwidth of the DVD/BD-Rom drive.

Intrinsic said:

Intrinsic said:

Well. The Xbox One did go with DDR3... And the Playstation 4 wasn't using the fastest GDDR5 anyway... And the Switch is using LPDDR4.

Price is the most important factor to building a console, they are cost sensitive devices that cannot have high-end components.

Intrinsic said:

Microsoft used NAND with the Xbox 360, granted it was only 4GB, but the precedent is there.

KBG29 said:

How sure are you about that?
Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording and Microwave-assisted recording are all next-gen mechanical HDD technologies that should push HDD capacities up towards 20 Terabytes per drive in a 3.5" form factor before 2020.

Mechanical Disks have stagnated for the last few years, just like CPU's and GPU's, but that won't last forever.

KBG29 said:

People have been claiming SSD's will have exponential increases in capacities for years... And we are still at only 500GB in the Mid-Range, 120GB in the low-end.

KBG29 said:

High-end mechanical disks should give a DRAM-less QLC nand SSD a run for it's money, especially in sequential reads.
Especially hybrid drives.

I mean shit... EMMC Nand drives make me want to take up smoking meth, I would prefer a semi-decent 5400rpm mechanical disk over those, especially if it's a hybrid drive.

Yes consoles are about cost, but not necessarily the cost at launch, they will evaluate the potential total sales for the gen, when those sales shall happen and what estimate cost for each component along gen. So they may see that one tech that is a little more expensive today during the full gen will be cheaper. Also console makers like to do PR, so if they think having SSD will give more PR than higher density HDD they can choose it, we have seem every gen minor differences be touted as game changer by marketing.

Also don't forget that sometimes console makers also make bets. PS4 had the GDDR5 that was a much more costlier solution than X1 had, but only half the capacity. But a good gamble that when prices of GDDR5 were smaller they doubled it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Pemalite said:

7th gen.... which when looking at the tasks they had to do had CPUs that were in comparison better than what we got in the 8th gen. Compression is a thing though, but as you said its a work around.

Pemalite said: 

And thats what I believe could happen. Its not something they could have done this gen but as long as they can put 500GB-1TB of internal storage in the consoles at around $40 or under I think its what they would do. It also has the added benefit of simplifying the entire build process. And it would be cheaper too. 

Pemalite said: 

I dont thing using about a quarter of the entire consoles budget for RAM is what I would call cheap. And while it may not have been the fastest GDDR5 ram out there, it was cutting edge for a console in 2013. It was also not even "cheap" back then. Its easy to look at GPUs now pushing an average of 8GB and up and forget that when the PS4 launched there hardly was a GPU on the market that had more than 4GB of GDDR5. 

Pemalite said: 

Yes it is. But not always as how you look at it. 

You are quick to point out the limitations of consoles but refuse to recognize their advantages. If sony is making a console today they are not just looking at its price right now but looking at its price over the next 6-10 years. Their are alot of options open to them too being that they are making a proprietary box. 

They used Around $30 to put in a 500GB HDD in 2013. Today what is probably about the same amount of money is getting them 1TB. So the real question here is how much SSD storage are we going to get with $30-$40 dollars in 2020. Its even possible they make a 500GB model for $399 and a 1TB model for $499 or less.

But going with a HDD is just wrong to me. Its Literally building in obsolescence from day one.  

DonFerrari said:

I would be fine with a 128Mb (or 256Mb) SSD that you keep the game you are currently playing with a 2TB HDD to store other digital games and an easy way to transfer from one to the other when you want to change the main game that you wish faster time.

Too complicated. They would sooner put in only 500GB of storage in there than do any hybrid stuff.

Intrinsic said:
Pemalite said:

7th gen.... which when looking at the tasks they had to do had CPUs that were in comparison better than what we got in the 8th gen. Compression is a thing though, but as you said its a work around.

Pemalite said: 

And thats what I believe could happen. Its not something they could have done this gen but as long as they can put 500GB-1TB of internal storage in the consoles at around $40 or under I think its what they would do. It also has the added benefit of simplifying the entire build process. And it would be cheaper too. 

Pemalite said: 

I dont thing using about a quarter of the entire consoles budget for RAM is what I would call cheap. And while it may not have been the fastest GDDR5 ram out there, it was cutting edge for a console in 2013. It was also not even "cheap" back then. Its easy to look at GPUs now pushing an average of 8GB and up and forget that when the PS4 launched there hardly was a GPU on the market that had more than 4GB of GDDR5. 

Pemalite said: 

Yes it is. But not always as how you look at it. 

You are quick to point out the limitations of consoles but refuse to recognize their advantages. If sony is making a console today they are not just looking at its price right now but looking at its price over the next 6-10 years. Their are alot of options open to them too being that they are making a proprietary box. 

They used Around $30 to put in a 500GB HDD in 2013. Today what is probably about the same amount of money is getting them 1TB. So the real question here is how much SSD storage are we going to get with $30-$40 dollars in 2020. Its even possible they make a 500GB model for $399 and a 1TB model for $499 or less.

But going with a HDD is just wrong to me. Its Literally building in obsolescence from day one.  

DonFerrari said:

Too complicated. They would sooner put in only 500GB of storage in there than do any hybrid stuff.

As long as they allow external HDD then they are kinda accepting hybrid, be it either as having 2 internal memories or allowing external where you would transfer saved game to SSD before starting, which is different from regular hybrid and doing cache as far as I know.

Cheapest 1TB ssd on newegg is now 110$ just a few days ago it was 130$ and like 2-3 month ago it was 180$. I think we will see either 1TB SSD (2.5, sata interface) or 2TB mechanical drive with 128 GB flash cache.

Prices of DDR4 has also fallen from 140$ 16GB Ram to 98$ in a few months. We will probably see 16 or 24GB Gddr6 ram 256-bit bus in next-gen.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

DonFerrari said:

As long as they allow external HDD then they are kinda accepting hybrid, be it either as having 2 internal memories or allowing external where you would transfer saved game to SSD before starting, which is different from regular hybrid and doing cache as far as I know.

Its one thing to support games running off a possibly slower disc in which case its on the user who would notice their games run slower when playing off an external HDD.

Its another thing building in support for a game cache and APIs in their sdk so games fully utilize that feature.

The former is not sony's business. They just make their console and allow gamers install their game on whatever kinda external storage they want to use. The latter is all on sony and is what I am referring to when I say too complicated. Cause it will require having three drives in the console. Disc drive, HDD and nand flash drive.