By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 attach ratio already 9.9!

That's a really crazy attach rate especially given the number of people who probably upgraded to a Pro mid-gen (like me).

Edit: Although, I'm curious now if games like Fortnite count towards that number. I've bought quite a few cheap indie games as well. Does digital count?

Around the Network
gemini_d@rk said:

Today sony announced it has sold 86.1m consoles by the end of September, and did not ship that number. It is insane that this year ps4 is selling Switch and xone combined.
Time the vgchartz to update the numbers on the main page.

No... 86.1m is shipped, Sell-In IS shipped. It's the figure they gave for end of September.

Neodegenerate said:
Barkley said:

PS+ games dont count, there are over 30m ps+ subscribers, with 2 ps4 games per month that would be 720m games per year xD.

They may count, as you still have to go through the store and redeem/"purchase" the games.  Not outside the realm of possibility that more people than not only download the 1 or 2 a year they might be interested and not the full suite of games each month.

No, the numbers make zero sense if you assume ps+ numbers are included. Let's take last quarter as an example.

Sony reported they sold 75.1m units of software and 28% of that number was digital.

That means they sold 54.1m software at retail.

Now if we assume just 20% of software is digital, and the other 8% is ps+ we get these numbers.

Retail - 54.1m

Digital- 15m

PS+ - 6m

They also revealed they had 34.3m ps+ subscribers at the end of that quarter, so as at least 7 PS4 games were offered that quarter (destiny 2 was a bonus game) there were 240.1m ps+ games offered that quarter.

So for ps+ downloads to be just 6m for the quarter that would mean only 2.5% were downloaded. I guarantee far more than 2.5% of people are like me and add every ps+ game to their library regardless of if they will play it or not.

It makes far more sense for the truth to be that ps+ figures are not included.

The fact that the PS4 has sold more units than the Switch in 2018 is very impressive indeed!
A 5+ year old console with a 80 million install base still outselling a 1-2 year old console with a 20 million base....

Barkley said:
Neodegenerate said:

They may count, as you still have to go through the store and redeem/"purchase" the games.  Not outside the realm of possibility that more people than not only download the 1 or 2 a year they might be interested and not the full suite of games each month.

No, the numbers make zero sense if you assume ps+ numbers are included. Let's take last quarter as an example.

Sony reported they sold 75.1m units of software and 28% of that number was digital.

Now if we assume just 20% of software is digital, and the other 8% is ps+ we get these numbers.

Retail - 54.1m

Digital- 15m

PS+ - 6m

They also revealed they had 34.3m ps+ subscribers at the end of that quarter, so as at least 7 PS4 games were offered that quarter (destiny 2 was a bonus game) there were 240.1m ps+ games offered that quarter.

So for ps+ downloads to be just 6m for the quarter that would mean only 2.5% were downloaded. I guarantee far more than 2.5% of people are like me and add every ps+ game to their library regardless of if they will play it or not.

I agree with your general premise that they most likely are not included, but very much disagree with your assessment that 25 out of every 1000 are like you and adding every game.  Before the paywalled online I would've agreed completely.  Nowadays though, I think the number of people who have it because they want to be able to play their games online that have no idea there are also free games outweighs the number of people who "purchase" every game and I think both are dwarfed by the people who only go through the effort of getting the games they want.

Edit: That said, I would love to see official numbers from Sony on the engagement for PS+ games.  Would be interesting to have validation for one side or the other in all of it.

Around the Network

Looking at this it really seems that VGC software sales are completely wrong.

Neodegenerate said:
Barkley said:

Retail - 54.1m

Digital- 15m

PS+ - 6m

I agree with your general premise that they most likely are not included, but very much disagree with your assessment that 25 out of every 1000 are like you and adding every game.  Before the paywalled online I would've agreed completely.  Nowadays though, I think the number of people who have it because they want to be able to play their games online that have no idea there are also free games outweighs the number of people who "purchase" every game and I think both are dwarfed by the people who only go through the effort of getting the games they want.

Edit: That said, I would love to see official numbers from Sony on the engagement for PS+ games.  Would be interesting to have validation for one side or the other in all of it.

Think of it in terms of how many hardcore PlayStation fans there are, those will subscribe to ps+ and those will add all games to there account.

One figure we do have is from the Rocket League Devs, Rocket League was downloaded 6 million times on ps+ in July 2015, and back in January 2015 there were only 11m subscribers.

The game was free at launch for PS4 owners, which led to 6 million downloads and enormous amounts of buzz. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/268923/Smart_calls_timing_luck_amp__poverty_How_Rocket_League_succeeded.php

Barkley said:
Neodegenerate said:

Think of it in terms of how many hardcore PlayStation fans there are, those will subscribe to ps+ and those will add all games to there account.

One figure we do have is from the Rocket League Devs, Rocket League was downloaded 6 million times on ps+ in July 2015, and back in January 2015 there were only 11m subscribers.

The game was free at launch for PS4 owners, which led to 6 million downloads and enormous amounts of buzz. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/268923/Smart_calls_timing_luck_amp__poverty_How_Rocket_League_succeeded.php

Those numbers certainly lend credence to your argument.  I am on board.

Kerotan said:
Really interesting post from resetera on how the ps4 if it meets the current fiscal year targets, it's profit for the gen will be equal to the money they've made (lost) when you add the ps2 profits to the ps3 loses. So the ps2 + ps4 profits will have cancelled out the ps3 losses. But ps4 still has at least another fiscal year but possibly 1.5 years to go after the current one ends in March. And it will be very profitable for a few years after the ps5. So when all is said and done I expect ps4 to cancel out ps3 on it's own and then some. But unlike the ps3, the ps4 will leave them in a much healthier position to transition to an even more profitable ps5.

Yeah, "and then some" indeed. Because you have to remember that Sony lumped many expenses together with the PS3 like R&D of Blu-ray and CELL. They also lost a lot of money on the PS3 in the years that followed but at least it helped Sony win the HD format war against HD DVD and it helped them create the highly succesfull PS4.

think-man said:
I think i own around 300 PS4 games, so I'm eating up someone's ratio.

You're covering for me, I own over 300 PS4 games but all of them are digital except for one single disc. Eventually I'll get a second one next year and have to worry about which one sits in my PS4.