By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Super Mario Party the Switch's first major first party casual success?

So far Nintendo's casual focused games on the Switch have seen modest success, but nothing that can pull Wii and DS numbers. 1-2 Switch pulled a solid 2 million copies sold worldwide, and is a fun game in quick sessions, but the game is too niche to be played in many situations, and has a lot filler content you need to slog through. Nintendo Labo is a neat idea, but it's more aimed at kids, doesn't really have multiplayer, and is a more in-depth and involved product that requires a lot of time and commitment to enjoy, rather than something you can pick up and put down with ease. Creative efforts, sure, but neither of them have quite captured what made those Wii/DS casual games so attractive and special. But Super Mario Party seems to do just that. Recently, the game managed to hit 1.5 million in a few weeks, is on its way to outselling every prior entry in the series (sans 8 and DS) in just a few months, and is the game that single handedly boosted sales of Joy-Con. Super Mario Party looks to be Nintendo's first major casual game success story on the Switch.

There's several possible reasons we can attribute to this. Perhaps it's because it's the first Mario Party to return to the original Board game style, which draws a lot of Nostalgia for Young adults and Millenials. Perhaps it's the fact that you only need another pair of Joy-Con for less than $100 to play with 4-players. Maybe its the novelty of its dual-screen use in Toad's Rec room. Regardless, I think it's the first First-Party casual game on the Switch that really hits it out of the park. It's just the kind of game that's really great for house parties or because this is the Switch, pulling out at a restaurant or cafe with 3 other friends. It's simple, quick, to the point.

Around the Network

As long as Nintendo doesn't release another Mario Party too soon, then Super Mario Party is going to join the 10m+ Switch club.

I really hope Nintendo takes the DLC route with SMP instead of making a new one 2 years from now. This game could match the peaks of the series

RolStoppable said:

"Casual" usually means a game that is not liked, so Mario Kart must be ruled out. Mario Party has been talked about in a bad way, yes.

But if we are honest, Breath of the Wild received a lot more hate. So that's my pick for Switch's first major first party casual success.

I hope you're being sarcastic

RolStoppable said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

I hope you're being sarcastic

Not really. The most common definition of "casual" is indeed a game that isn't liked and that's basically what can be infered from your original post. The comparisons you draw include 1-2-Switch and Labo, and the closest you come to defining a casual game is the pick up and play trait. Said trait is fundamental to Mario Kart, but that game is suspiciously absent from your original post, so it's fair to conclude that your definition of "casual" includes the trait of being a title that is in general considered a lesser game.

Casual doesn't mean bad though. There are great casual games out there that can be just as entertaining as some of the hardcore AAA games. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Casual doesn't mean bad though. There are great casual games out there that can be just as entertaining as some of the hardcore AAA games. 

Since I was apparently still not clear enough, I'd like you to explain why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe belongs in a different category than Super Mario Party despite both games sharing the traits of multiplayer and pick up and play.

Yeah, I heard you, casual means according to you, a game not very well liked. But I'm saying that's complete bullshit. 

Mario Kart 8 would probably count, and to an extent Mario Odyssey. I'd call 1-2 Switch a major success based on the budget vs sales.

Mario Party long predates the "Wii era" and has its own established fanbase, it's performing on the Switch in line with other popular Nintendo franchises on Switch (ie: Kirby on Switch has higher than usual sales for a Kirby game, Zelda does, Mario Odyssey does for a 3D Mario, etc.).

Switch isn't ever going to be a "casual" system the way the Wii or to a lesser degree the DS were. It is what it is, a more traditional game system that has the differentiating factor in its functional design (it can take the same game from the TV and make it portable or vice versa) and that's all it needs. If you're sitting around thinking that the Switch is suddenly going to become a very different type of platform it terms of it audience appeal, I think you'll be sitting there waiting for a long ass time. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 November 2018

RolStoppable said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Since I was apparently still not clear enough, I'd like you to explain why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe belongs in a different category than Super Mario Party despite both games sharing the traits of multiplayer and pick up and play.

Is that you, Emma Stone? Why you gotta be so aggressive 'bout dem der Vidya games?

TheMisterManGuy said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah, I heard you, casual means according to you, a game not very well liked. But I'm saying that's complete bullshit. 

My least favorite game I've ever beaten was Project X Zone and it is anything but casual lol.