By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Super Mario Party the Switch's first major first party casual success?

RolStoppable said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Casual doesn't mean bad though. There are great casual games out there that can be just as entertaining as some of the hardcore AAA games. 

Since I was apparently still not clear enough, I'd like you to explain why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe belongs in a different category than Super Mario Party despite both games sharing the traits of multiplayer and pick up and play.

Yeah, I heard you, casual means according to you, a game not very well liked. But I'm saying that's complete bullshit. 

Around the Network

Mario Kart 8 would probably count, and to an extent Mario Odyssey. I'd call 1-2 Switch a major success based on the budget vs sales.

TheMisterManGuy said:
RolStoppable said:

Since I was apparently still not clear enough, I'd like you to explain why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe belongs in a different category than Super Mario Party despite both games sharing the traits of multiplayer and pick up and play.

Yeah, I heard you, casual means according to you, a game not very well liked. But I'm saying that's complete bullshit. 

I find it suspicious that you avoid to answer my request. Does this mean you recognize the redundancy of your thread because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a game that should be eligible according to your definition?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Mario Party long predates the "Wii era" and has its own established fanbase, it's performing on the Switch in line with other popular Nintendo franchises on Switch (ie: Kirby on Switch has higher than usual sales for a Kirby game, Zelda does, Mario Odyssey does for a 3D Mario, etc.).

Switch isn't ever going to be a "casual" system the way the Wii or to a lesser degree the DS were. It is what it is, a more traditional game system that has the differentiating factor in its functional design (it can take the same game from the TV and make it portable or vice versa) and that's all it needs. If you're sitting around thinking that the Switch is suddenly going to become a very different type of platform it terms of it audience appeal, I think you'll be sitting there waiting for a long ass time. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 November 2018

RolStoppable said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Casual doesn't mean bad though. There are great casual games out there that can be just as entertaining as some of the hardcore AAA games. 

Is that you, Emma Stone? Why you gotta be so aggressive 'bout dem der Vidya games?

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
RolStoppable said:

My least favorite game I've ever beaten was Project X Zone and it is anything but casual lol.

No idea but I'm loving the hell out of this game!

I hope it'll sell a lot more now that they have the upcoming bundle of this game with a pair of Green/Yellow Joycons for just $99US ($79US on some Black Friday sale sites)

In the aspect of financial success, I would say 1-2-Switch was the first major casual first party success. The game is well above 2 millions sold and it probably had the cost of a sandwich to be produced.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

splatoon 2 and MK8D