By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Darashiva said:

Correct on 35, not on 37. On 37 this series is the first part of the name of the entire genre.

37.  Rogue?

No, the latter half of the genre's name comes from another long running video game franchise. The game itself is an SNES title.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

37.  Rogue?

No, the latter half of the genre's name comes from another long running video game franchise. The game itself is an SNES title.

37.  Super Metroid  (I'm glad you told me it was the SNES one)

40.  Pixel Junk Monsters (PS3)  - guessed by Mnementh
“Why isn’t this game higher?   You spent so much time playing it.”  That’s what my wife told me when I showed her where this game was on my list last year.  It’s true.  I spent tons and tons of time playing it, but that is true of all of the other games on this list as well.  This is now my top tower defense game on this list.  I love it.  I really wish more tower defense games would be released on consoles.  My top 100 games is my short list, and my top 50 is my very short list.

39.  Shining Force (Genesis) - guessed by Landale_Star
This was the first time I played a tactical RPG, and I still love playing this game.  One thing I really appreciate is games that give me a new experience, and since this was the first time I played a tactical RPG, I will always love this game a lot.  Also it is simple, but often, less is more.  The simple gameplay that it does have is just executed so beautifully that I can’t put this game down.  Some of my favorite old games (like Final Fantasy 1) haven’t aged so well, but this game has aged beautifully.

38.  Metroid (NES) - guessed by Mnementh
In the NES days, the holy trinity for Nintendo was Mario, Zelda and Metroid.  Each game was special for its own reasons.  Metroid was special in that it felt a lot more “mature” in a lot of ways than other Nintendo games.  Metroid was not for the young or the faint of heart.  It was really, hard, and the game would mess with your head.  I died a lot.  There was no map, so I got lost a lot to the point that it was disorienting.  Some gamers might not like these things, but to me these things were its main appeal.  There is backtracking, because the game feels different when you get a new power up.  There is a fake boss, and Mother Brain kind of feels like an un-boss.  She just sits there.  On the other hand the Metroids themselves are really scary.  The first time I remember being scared in a game was the first time I encountered a Metroid.  All of these things I listed in this paragraph are huge plusses in my book.  I have played some of the later Metroid games, and the ones I’ve tried feel like they are missing some of their teeth.  No, I want to be messed with.  I want original Metroid.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 23 November 2018

More clues:

37.  a.  The gameplay for this SNES entry  is more like the Arcade's version than the NES version.
b.  The final two foes of this game look extremely similar.
c.  One of your foes is an old man with a staff.  That should be illegal!
d.  Even though this game was part of an ongoing Nintendo series, the SNES version might be something of a hidden gem, since it was released in North America around the same time as Mortal Kombat II, Final Fantasy III(6), and Donkey Kong Country.

36.  (guessed by S.Peelman)

35.  Long before Ubisoft showed Mario + Rabbids could work, this PS2 game showed that another unlikely mash-up would work.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

37.  a.  The gameplay for this SNES entry  is more like the Arcade's version than the NES version.
d.  Even though this game was part of an ongoing Nintendo series, the SNES version might be something of a hidden gem, since it was released in North America around the same time as Mortal Kombat II, Final Fantasy III(6), and Donkey Kong Country.

35.  Long before Ubisoft showed Mario + Rabbids could work, this PS2 game showed that another unlikely mash-up would work.

37 is super punch out! 

Around the Network

Pokémon Blue Version

• GameBoy
  • Role Playing Game
  • Game Freak/Nintendo

'Pokémon Blue Version' is a very special game for me in various ways. Not in the least part because it is just a very good game. It is also one of the few role playing games that I liked over the years, and technically, probably the only 'jRPG' ever, but I guess that depends on your definition of the genre.

The game was a phenomenon. People would say Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto today, are big. But no, Pokémon, that was big. Everything lived and breathed Pokémon back in the day. This is the only game ever which I know was big with literally everyone, and everyone played it. Gamer or not, it was everywhere and on everything. The fact that the franchise is still big today, is testament to how big it once was. My friends played it as well, and we played and talked about it all the time. It was the talk of the playground day in, day out.

This game also ties into a strong memory about my late dog. When he was young, and I was young, I left my GameBoy Color laying around with 'Pokémon Blue' inside and 'The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening' in a case in the sleeve. Being a dog with a tough character back then (he got a lot better) due to a traumatic youth, he proceeded to try and eat said GameBoy. With GameBoys however famously being indestructible, it of course still worked, though the screen was replaced because it had a line of dead pixels. My 'Link's Awakening' cartridge was completely shattered sadly, because being in the sleeve pocket it was on the front line. 'Pokémon Blue' had a big hole where his tooth sank in, yet still worked perfectly. It actually does to this day. That cartridge is now forever a tangible memory of that dog and a big piece of my childhood.

#38: This game's story runs parallel to the movie, but it's opening level replicates the movie's opening scene chillingly perfect.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Darashiva said:

37.  Super Metroid  (I'm glad you told me it was the SNES one)

That's the one.

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

37 is super punch out! 

Correct!

mZuzek said:

One more and I'm done for the day.

#39 - The only game after this franchise's debut to feature a range upgrade for the main character... because it is a remake of this franchise's debut.

Is this Metroid Zero Mission?