By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Super Smash Ultimate Be the Highest Rated Game of the Gen? (>Botw/GoW/SMO/RDR2)

No. At best 94.

Around the Network

I seriously doubt it, to be honest. It’s going to be an excellent game for sure, and an almost guaranteed 90+ mega, but it’s a party fighter. There’s bound to be aspects of it that simply won’t let it hold up well with the games you mentioned. That story mode looks amazing, for example, but it’s not going to be a narrative masterpiece.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

i hope it gets 98 since rdr2 deserved a bit less than 97
GOW is still game of the year and got screwed with a 94 on metacritic -_-

Super Smash Bros - 79
Super Smash Bros: Melee - 92
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 93
Super Smash Bros for 3DS - 85
Super Smash Bros for WiiU - 92

Given the history, the pattern, and the fact that Ultimate has basically all the prior levels, all the prior characters, and all the prior game modes from previous games with the gameplay fluidity of Melee, I think 92-93 is the floor. Could I be wrong? Sure.

My official guess is 94. But I would be happy to see 95 and I wouldn't even bet against 96. But 97? Not likely. Then again, I said 95-96 for RDR as well and that ended up almost at 98.

As it stands, I don't think it'll best Zelda, Mario, or RDR, but I think it's a reasonable bet to put it above God of War.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Slightly above the other Smash Bros. games, so 94, is most likely. 96 is possible, but unlikely. 97 would be extremely unlikely in my book. The 98 necessary to become game of the generation? No, not a chance. Lets hope whoever's making Metroid Prime 4 really knows what they're doing and blows us all away even more than the first Prime, or Nintendo likely won't make the game of the generation unless they go back in time and kill Jim Sterling before he kills BotW's score. As it stands, RDR2 has a higher 97 than BotW's 97 on Metacritic. Nothing, not even GTAVI, is going to beat RDR2 this gen, most likely. Of course, that's according to review scores. BotW is already game of the generation in my heart.