By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War Wins GOTY 2018: Trusted Reviews Awards 2018

Kerotan said:

TLOU2

I love your optimism

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Mar1217 said:

We're in an agreement now. 

But smash is an ultimate edition of a last gen game? Wasn't it already considered in game of the year awards from a few years back? 

It's as much an ultimate edition of a last ten game as FIFA 19 is an ultimate edition of FIFA 09

Carl said:
Kerotan said:

TLOU2

I love your optimism

Haha i was waiting for this. I was being very optimistic yes. Probably spring 2019 :(

John2290 said:
I'm so conflicted RDR2 and this cut it so close but for such different reasons. Choosing one is the hardest GpTY decision in my memory. Astro bot rescue mission and Moss are also up there for VR. Last year there was only four or five traditionalist games that were to be considered, This year there are so many more masterpieces or near masterpieces and in the VR space it's difficult enough to stack a top ten.

It's quite easy though because this GOTY goes from October to October so RDR2 will be in next year's. 

Hell fuckin yeah GOW is a masterpiece
RDR2 is great but has too many annoying mechanics and AI problems

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Mar1217 said:

We're in an agreement now. 

But smash is an ultimate edition of a last gen game? Wasn't it already considered in game of the year awards from a few years back? 

Smash Ultimate IS Smash 5.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Really, it does deserve. It’s easily the best installment in it’s series, and it was made on the blood, sweat, and tears of a studio that was at risk of going under. I really feel like RDR2 gets a pass by so many just because it’s R*. Even though it has one of the most frustrating control schemes for a third person action game, non-existent tutorials, and some of the clunkiest feeling gameplay in recent years.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
Really, it does deserve. It’s easily the best installment in it’s series, and it was made on the blood, sweat, and tears of a studio that was at risk of going under. I really feel like RDR2 gets a pass by so many just because it’s R*. Even though it has one of the most frustrating control schemes for a third person action game, non-existent tutorials, and some of the clunkiest feeling gameplay in recent years.

I mean to be fair, God of War is not perfect in that regard either. The camera can be a pretty big issue in battles, it simply should not be that close to Kratos's shoulder ... you can almost see his individual hairs. 

I also found the climbing incredibly out of place and oddly ... it's worse than in a Naughty Dog game despite coming 2 years after their last main Uncharted title.

But yeah, overall GOW is much better in that regard. RDR2 is the only Rockstar game that has really impressed me in any substantial way though, so I wouldn't say that doesn't at least deserve a mention (though that would technically be in next year's GOTY for this site I guess). 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
DialgaMarine said:

I mean to be fair, God of War is not perfect in that regard either. The camera can be a pretty big issue in battles, it simply should not be that close to Kratos's shoulder ... you can almost see his individual hairs. 

I also found the climbing incredibly out of place and oddly ... it's worse than in a Naughty Dog game despite coming 2 years after their last main Uncharted title.

But yeah, overall GOW is much better in that regard. RDR2 is the only Rockstar game that has really impressed me in any substantial way though, so I wouldn't say that doesn't at least deserve a mention (though that would technically be in next year's GOTY for this site I guess). 

Referencing ND for low quality climbing is kind of odd to me. Both UC4 and UCTLL has excellent climbing mechanics, especially in the MP. Yeah, God of War’s climbing seems a bit out of place, but Kratos doesn’t do it often enough for it to be a big deal. The camera angle definitely took a bit of getting used to, but it didn’t give me many problems, personally, when fighting enemies. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Referencing ND for low quality climbing is kind of odd to me. Both UC4 and UCTLL has excellent climbing mechanics, especially in the MP. Yeah, God of War’s climbing seems a bit out of place, but Kratos doesn’t do it often enough for it to be a big deal. The camera angle definitely took a bit of getting used to, but it didn’t give me many problems, personally, when fighting enemies. 

Nah I didn't say the climbing mechanics were bad. I said they're not up to part with those systems, even two years after.