By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Midterm Elections 2018- Dems take the House, GOP Keeps the Senate.

Who did you vote for?

GOP Rep and GOP Senator 20 30.77%

Democrat Rep and Democrat Senator 38 58.46%

GOP Rep and Democrat Senator 0 0%

Democrat Rep and GOP Senator 4 6.15%

Third Party/Other 3 4.62%

Total:65
irstupid said:
jason1637 said:

The problem with voter ID laws are that ID cards are not free. If they give free ID cards and implement voter ID laws that would be great. 

Did you know you need an ID to get welfare and other government assistance.

So if you are too poor to afford an ID, then you should probably be getting assistance, and in that case again you need an ID.

Also you won't find many people that do not either drink or smoke, both with require an ID. (also are spendy. Basically one case of beer costs the same as a drivers license/ID)

So please drop that bullshit, can't afford an ID. Besides, many of the states that are trying to implement ID laws, have it in the proposed law that ID's will be free.

What you just said does not disprove the original poster.  For Welfare there are many different ways you can obtain it without a photo ID.  A photo ID is not required for welfare.  Also when using photo ID most state that institute such things only allow specific ID.  Case in point would be North Dakota.  If you are a tribal Indian you get a P.O Box not a street address for your photo ID but ND has another policy that you cannot vote unless you have an ID with a street address. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/north-dakota-native-american-voters/

The thing is, if a photo ID is going to be required to vote there should always be a free and easy system to get an allowed ID.  The information needs to be clear and posted and obtainable by everyone.

So when you say you need ID in order to vote I have no problems with that but when policy is changed so that only very specific ID is required and then try to limit it so that its harder for people to obtain that ID well thats another story. I believe the BS belongs to you because I do not believe you have really studied the issue properly.

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

I don't get why people assume that a more multi-racial/cultural population inherently means more Dem voters. That is far from reality, and will only be less so in the future. We're already seeing trends of this with the Hispanic, Black, and Asian populations. Hispanic vote for Trump was like 33% and black support has more than doubled just in 2 years. They're increasingly realizing they owe the Dems nothing, as the Dems haven't exactly done much to help their communities either, and are merely using them to get votes. Many are increasingly valuing the freedom and independence in paving their own way in life and working hard to succeed in America rather than the crippling/handcuffing that comes with relying on handouts and welfare.

This, minorities are starting to hate political correctness democrats are preaching. Not to mention they want to keep their money.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 10 November 2018

Snoopy said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

I don't get why people assume that a more multi-racial/cultural population inherently means more Dem voters. That is far from reality, and will only be less so in the future. We're already seeing trends of this with the Hispanic, Black, and Asian populations. Hispanic vote for Trump was like 33% and black support has more than doubled just in 2 years. They're increasingly realizing they owe the Dems nothing, as the Dems haven't exactly done much to help their communities either, and are merely using them to get votes. Many are increasingly valuing the freedom and independence in paving their own way in life and working hard to succeed in America rather than the crippling/handcuffing that comes with relying on handouts and welfare.

This, minorities are starting to hate political correctness democrats are preaching. Not to mention they want to keep their money.

Really? Why, then, this time around the Republicans got less than 10% of the Black vote, and less than 30% of the Hispanic vote? They performed worse than in 2014, worse than in 2010, worse than in 2006... with the leftmost Democratic party there has ever been.

And in presidential elections... that's a decline going for over 60 years already. Current Republicans would die to get the numbers Eisenhower had with Hispanics and Blacks. Ever since then, Bush Jr. got the closest in 2004, with nearly 40% of Hispanics, and Bob Dole had 16% of Blacks in 1996, I believe.

In fact... it doesn't seem Republicans are making strides with the upcoming generations as well, does it?

Besides, the "blexit" BS I can track to a single Rasmussen poll which gave Trump a 40% approval with Blacks. Rasmussen, of course, being a notoriously biased and a poor-quality pollster with a long tradition of Republican bias and on all likehood an even greater margin of error for the sub-sections of their polls.

Snoopy said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Isn't it Republicans who think this way.  What is the diversity do you see within both parties.  Actually the case isn't if minorities inherently vote Dems, its how many minorities can gain position of power within the 2 groups.  Does the GOP want a more diverse membership.  Are they embracing, Blacks, Asians Hispanic etc.  How would the party change if it becomes more diverse.  Saying minorities are looking to be Republicans more than Dems might be a 2 edge sword.  I hope you get what you are asking for.

Machiavellian said:
Snoopy said:

Isn't it Republicans who think this way.  What is the diversity do you see within both parties.  Actually the case isn't if minorities inherently vote Dems, its how many minorities can gain position of power within the 2 groups.  Does the GOP want a more diverse membership.  Are they embracing, Blacks, Asians Hispanic etc.  How would the party change if it becomes more diverse.  Saying minorities are looking to be Republicans more than Dems might be a 2 edge sword.  I hope you get what you are asking for.

Look at how more and more minorities, especially when they become more independent and less reliant on government vote Republican based on their ideas.  A lot of Hispanics are starting to agree with Republicans that we need a stronger border because illegal immigrants are hurting their communities (gangs, stealing their jobs, drugs, etc). 

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
Machiavellian said:

Look at how more and more minorities, especially when they become more independent and less reliant on government vote Republican based on their ideas.  A lot of Hispanics are starting to agree with Republicans that we need a stronger border because illegal immigrants are hurting their communities (gangs, stealing their jobs, drugs, etc). 

Where are you getting your data.  I really do not know if more minorities are voting more Republican or not.  Also I do not believe more minorities are reliant on government assistance.  If anything more White people are more reliant but thats because they are still more white people in the US then minorities.  The thing is the Republicans have had many times they could have reduce the government assistance programs and they have not.  I believe this is more a talking point then anything else.  Just like reducing the deficit is more a talking point when the Dems are in office.

Republicans will in time have to adjust their foundational messages.

One time they were basically the war mongering party of Bush, but now their central message is basically to scapegoat immigrants. That won't play forever, yes they have some Latino support but the signs are already there, as we were discussing above Texas is becoming a state that's much more purple than the deep red it used to be. If Texas ever goes blue, there is virtually no path to an electoral victory for a Republican period.

There will be a reckoning for this party after the Trump era ends and they will scramble to rebrand themselves away from him 10 years from now just watch and see. You cannot demonize the Latino and black population forever, not when more than half the children being born in the US today are now officially non-white. 

They are also going to have to get in touch with reality at some point. The crime rate in the US is going DOWN and has been for 20 years now, so that doesn't really square with their forced panic on immigrants. That plays mainly to scared old white people and once that demographic lessens they'll have to answer to that. They are rabidly anti-science and in the pocket of the oil industries, eventually they are going to have to answer for that. They are rabidly in denial over the gun problem in the US and won't back any kind of common sense gun reform that the majority of Americans (regardless of political party want). Because they are in the pocket of the gun lobby. Even Trump wanted to restrict gun accessibility to people under 21, but he was forced off that issue because the gun lobby yanked back their puppet.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 10 November 2018

Snoopy said:
Machiavellian said:

What is this feeling of yours based off of? I'm really curious if you can provide any evidence for this. 

Snoopy said:
Machiavellian said:

another white guy on the internet preaching this idea that minorities that don't vote republican are  somehow unenlightened or brainwashed or rely on government assistance

Torillian said:
Snoopy said:

What is this feeling of yours based off of? I'm really curious if you can provide any evidence for this. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-election-day/trump-did-better-blacks-hispanics-romney-12-exit-polls-n681386

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/06/28/trumps_approval_rating_rises_among_hispanics_137382.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFU7FZ9d41U&t=130s