By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - RDR2 Achieves Entertainment's Biggest Opening Weekend of All Time ($725m)

Mar1217 said:
Some statements are confusing me. Like doesn't GTA V have the biggest launch actually ? Weekend-launch wise yeah but their PR makes it sounds like they beat everything.

Do they count PSN in the numbers ? They do mention it quite a lot.

GTA5 had the biggest launch in history. But it released on a Tuesday. So it's opening weekend doesnt include its first 3 days.

RDR released on the weekend so it's the biggest release on a weekend ever. But overall GTA5 had a bigger launch if you compare the first 3 days, not the first weekends

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Mar1217 said:
Some statements are confusing me. Like doesn't GTA V have the biggest launch actually ? Weekend-launch wise yeah but their PR makes it sounds like they beat everything.

Do they count PSN in the numbers ? They do mention it quite a lot.

GTA5 had the biggest launch in history. But it released on a Tuesday. So it's opening weekend doesnt include its first 3 days.

RDR released on the weekend so it's the biggest release on a weekend ever. But overall GTA5 had a bigger launch if you compare the first 3 days, not the first weekends

They should have launched on a Tuesday :D

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

shikamaru317 said:

Comparison to the most popular Call of Duty games and GTA V:

-GTA V- $1b in 3 days
-RDR2- $725m in 3 days
-Black Ops 2- $500m in 1 day and $1b in 15 days
-Black Ops 3- $550m in 3 days
-Black Ops 4- $500m in 3 days
-MW3- $400m in 1 day and $775m in 5 days
-Black Ops 1- $360m in 1 day and $650m in 5 days
-MW2- $310m in 1 day and $550m in 5 days

Very impressive

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

shikamaru317 said:
zorg1000 said:

Very impressive

If this number for RDR2 doesn't include digital like the OP suggests, it is even more impressive, as all of those CoD figures include digital from what I can tell. I know for sure that Black Ops 4 included digital. 

It includes digital

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

shikamaru317 said:
zorg1000 said:

It includes digital

The wording is confusing for sure, it says retail sell-through which suggests that the $725m is retail only, but then it talks about breaking PSN records as well. 

Retail and physical aren't the same thing, retail can include online stores like PSN.

Around the Network

that's incredible. well done.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

zorg1000 said:
shikamaru317 said:

The wording is confusing for sure, it says retail sell-through which suggests that the $725m is retail only, but then it talks about breaking PSN records as well. 

Retail and physical aren't the same thing, retail can include online stores like PSN.

And there is no reason why the publisher wouldn't know the digital numbers and include them in the press release, especially since they use the term "sell-through."

What's with playstation and records this year.they keep breaking it.

Awesome numbers! Video game revenue has been astonishing in 2018!

pxrocks said:
What's with playstation and records this year.they keep breaking it.

Can't stop won't stop.