By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘Rape Culture’ Is A MYTH | Change My Mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6dv6G1FWxk

I saw this video from Steven Crowder. This was hilarious to me, but it made me sad thinking this is where our youth is at.

Around the Network

There are certain areas of society where Rape is more prevalent than others and that needs to be looked at and not just shoved to the side or trivialized which some conservatives would certainly like to do.

One thing to keep in mind though... Is that a Youtube video evidence does not make, it's just an opinion piece and should be taken as such like any other opinion piece on these forums that isn't backed up by citations.

Hopefully this thread ends up being productive, but doubts have been had.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I appreciate the way Steven conducts himself for the most part, but his claims are often spurious or entirely false. It's a shame he cannot be honest because I suspect he would offer a wonderful bit of insight into the *other* side of the argument.

Just a few examples from this segment, before I stopped watching it. (I watched this yesterday actually)

The rape metric was something like 1 in 1000, which is true but there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. According to RAINN, 1 in 6 American women have been the victim of attempted or completed rape with 14.8% completed ~1 in 7 women. Sounds a lot worse than 1 in 1000 doesn't it?

He also mentioned the Kavanaugh case and the witnesses on Dr. Ford's side having "refuted" her testimony. Well, this is patently absurd. None of her witnesses refuted anything, they testified that they did not recall the gathering or the events at the gathering. I do not recall X is not the same as X did not occur.

I have to say I enjoyed his segment on the 2nd amendment where he brought two college women to the gun range. Very educational.

Well it is a myth in the modern civilized world. The fact that people think rape culture exists in civilized society is just bothersome. Completely taking the attention away from undeveloped places like the middle east where women and children are just sex objects to their male overlords. But if you want to fight for human rights in the middle east they will kill you, so I understand why they would avoid those places.

OhNoYouDont said:

The rape metric was something like 1 in 1000, which is true but there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. According to RAINN, 1 in 6 American women have been the victim of attempted or completed rape with 14.8% completed ~1 in 7 women. Sounds a lot worse than 1 in 1000 doesn't it?

Worth pointing out that the Bureau of Justice includes "rape threats" under its category of "Attempted Rape". They explain the definition here:

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=317

Which really should NOT be the same category. I'm fine with that being a crime but it's definitely not the same category.

Around the Network

I have seen some of his videos on this series.
I thought he had a flexible thinking to put things on change my mind terms.
But has he ever changed his mind?

the_dark_lewd said:
OhNoYouDont said:

Worth pointing out that the Bureau of Justice includes "rape threats" under its category of "Attempted Rape". They explain the definition here:

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=317

Which really should NOT be the same category. I'm fine with that being a crime but it's definitely not the same category.

My overwatch teams have been violated and had attempts of violation so many times at the hands of pre teens....  I should seek a crisis centre.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

With the new expert definition of rape im not surprised there's a rape culture. I personally am guilty of sending text messages so who knows how many women I've raped. How many text rapes have you committed?

Professor Dianne Phillips expressed her dismay in a tweet on Wednesday, stating her phone “was assaulted” and that she herself felt violated upon receiving the Presidential Emergency Alert through text message.

https://tweetsave.com/sciencegranny/status/1047554780321800194

She didn't understand it was about one specific topic and directed at the whole and not just the individual. Immediately looking to authority to get herself out of the conversation or get him booted was not a surprise.

The last guy can't properly articulate his own thoughts, so why did he bother to sit down? He then tries to make a point about this being approached in the wrong way and that's why the conversations aren't productive, yet can't articulate how to fix that either?

I've yet to see him change his mind. I haven't seen all that many of these, yet it does seem to change his perspective overall, even if slightly. One thing that tends to go off the tracks is the direct topic itself. He tries to make it very clear that he only wants to stick to one specific topic, but it's rare for someone to be able to stay on topic and clearly prove him wrong, or even go off topic and do so. I think he must also pick topics that would be hard to debate so he likely won't be made a fool of. That wouldn't be good for his career.

His main show is pretty good, but since he includes comedy throughout, it makes him seem less credible. He's decent at debating in general and can be pretty funny.

TheBird said:
Well it is a myth in the modern civilized world. The fact that people think rape culture exists in civilized society is just bothersome.

Yep, knew you'd be here. Hi, I'm that 'disgusting human being' from the other thead. You know, the who one who agrees with the underlying principle of MeToo.

Again, your attitude amazes me, but is no longer surprising me. So reports of rape are bothersome to you? Well, I think you need to re-assess your world view, as by your accounts we're not in a civilized world.

PM sent ~ Angelus

Last edited by Angelus - on 15 October 2018