By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should Brett Kavanaugh SCOTUS Nomination Continue?

Should Brett Kavanaugh SCOTUS Nomination Continue?

Yes 53 47.32%

No 41 36.61%

Trump should pick a new canidate 18 16.07%

Total:112

this case is an interesting one for sure... seeing so many people clamoring to throw their rights away without realising what is at stake or the underlying deception at play is something else

Around the Network
Sordel said:

Female activists have made this about Ford, saying that if she is disbelieved then it's like disbelieving & dishonoring all complainants. I don't agree, but what if Julie Swetnick's accusations are conclusively disproved? To me, those sound like a pack of lies and they will severely shake the premise that women don't lie about rape. Will the activists stand by Swetnick whatever? And if they don't, what will it mean for Ford and Kavanagh?

"and they will severely shake the premise that women don't lie about rape. "

hang on... people actually believe this?

ironically there's nothing more sexist than believing women are incapable of lying or deception

o_O.Q said:

"and they will severely shake the premise that women don't lie about rape. "

hang on... people actually believe this?

It's a position that is taken. Lena Dunham was pushing this idea in a tweet, then she defended a colleague who was accused of something and had to backtrack to her original position. The entire #believeher movement is about the idea that coming forward with an allegation of abuse is so traumatic and socially disadvantageous that the burden of proof should fall on the defendant. The idea is to shift the debate from a situation (as in this case) where absent supporting evidence the alleged abuser is always given the benefit of the doubt.

Hiku said:

Kavanaugh immediately cracked under pressure, started screaming and crying, made threats, rambled on about conspiracy theories, and constantly opposed an investigation into his background.
Not to mention he already seemingly lied to congress under oath in 2004, as some of his old emails revealed.

I would certainly hire a person who meets all of these qualifications on their job interview. Wouldn't you?

Apparently some people would if they happened to share the same political beliefs.

Hiku said:

Kavanaugh immediately cracked under pressure, started screaming and crying, made threats, rambled on about conspiracy theories, and constantly opposed an investigation into his background.
Not to mention he already seemingly lied to congress under oath in 2004, as some of his old emails revealed.

I would certainly hire a person who meets all of these qualifications on their job interview. Wouldn't you?

Tbh if I were accused of something I didn't do that's as serious as these accusations I'd probably lash out also.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
sundin13 said:

As others have said, this isn't a court of law. He is being lined up for a promotion so the comparison to someone being tried just doesn't work. What we are asking is if we should take the risk that the country is promoting a sexually abusive liar to the top court in the country, or if perhaps another candidate would be better for the country. Basically, I consider it to be a fairly mathematical formula (numbers are hypothetical):

If we a assume a truthful Kavanaugh's suitability for the job is 10, a lying Kavanaugh's suitability is 5 and Trump's second choice is a 9, then if there is greater than a 20% chance that any of these accusations are true or that any of his statements made in court were not true, then Kavanaugh is not the best candidate for the job.

Obviously those numbers are hypothetical, but I think it demonstrates the point (I would argue that Kavanaugh was not the best candidate for this job before the accusations but hey, thats just me).

Hadn't read this far when I wrote my last comment. I mostly agree here, but I'd argue that even if we never find out whether Kavanaugh is a liar or not, the testimony so far is enough that substantial portions of the country believe he's a lying rapist. Even if you think that's unfair, you should want the Supreme Court to be respected, and it's decisions to be respected, so you wouldn't confirm him. Since this is, again, just a job interview, there's no consequence to Kavanaugh if he doesn't get confirmed. There is a consequence to the SC's reputation if a lying Kavanaugh is confirmed, but there's also a consequence if a truthful Kavanaugh is confirmed, because the public will likely never know if he's truthful or not, and thus can only guess, and guess they will, whether you like it or not. And a plurality of the public, and by some polls like the Fox News poll, a majority, have guessed that he's a lying rapist. This may seem unfair to Kavanaugh, but it would be very dangerous to the fundamental institution that is the Supreme Court if you confirmed him. Seeing as there are better options, handpicked by Trump and the Federalist society, that wouldn't harm the court in this way, if you just pick one of them, this problem goes away. As I said in my previous comment, the fear that false sexual crime accusations will jump out of nowhere for every nominee from either party till the end of time as a strategy to stop nominees is a baseless fear and will not come to pass, as even if that happened, it would just ruin the party that tried it when the public grew tired of it. Withdrawing Kavanaugh and nominating a better candidate is the best option available for both parties (though still a shitty option for Democrats) and the best option for the Supreme Court, and thereby the best option for the rule of law and the American people.

first off he hasn't been accused of raping anyone... but its interesting that you decided to take it there and secondly if i'm understanding you correctly, you're in favor of men losing their jobs once an accusation is leveled against them?

What I don't understand about the Kavanaugh case is why he lied to such a degree. His attempts to paint himself as a choir boy in his younger years are so transparent. Does anyone really believe that he and all his friends called themselves "alumni" of some girl they knew as a way of showing their respect? It's amazing to me that he didn't go with "yes I was a shitty kid, but I didn't try to assault anyone" instead of "Alcohol sir? I was much too busy with my studies to party".

I'd take him out of contention just for being someone that's willing to lie with such regularity.

KManX89 said:
GProgrammer said:

Surely Being a Proven Liar under oath, shouldnt prevent him from being a Supreme Court Judge

Lying to the Senate is a felony, which he has done many times. So yes, it should prevent his nomination.

Ford's friends did NOT refute her story BTW, Keyser only said she has no recollection (which is consistent with Dr. Ford's account of her being downstairs when Cosbynaugh was in the upstairs bedroom trying to rape her) and BELIEVES Dr. Ford, another one of his lies.

Man, the GOP can't stop nominating predators. Roy Moore, Cosbynaugh, the list goes on.

P.S., yes Cosby is guilty, he admitted he drugged women for sex, which is rape by definition in case you weren't aware.

"Keyser only said she has no recollection"

...of the party... not being downstairs at a party

"and BELIEVES Dr. Ford, another one of his lies."

can you back this up?

Torillian said:

What I don't understand about the Kavanaugh case is why he lied to such a degree. His attempts to paint himself as a choir boy in his younger years are so transparent. Does anyone really believe that he and all his friends called themselves "alumni" of some girl they knew as a way of showing their respect? It's amazing to me that he didn't go with "yes I was a shitty kid, but I didn't try to assault anyone" instead of "Alcohol sir? I was much too busy with my studies to party".

I'd take him out of contention just for being someone that's willing to lie with such regularity.

probably because in this polarised environment with how incapable of rational thought so many people are, admitting to being an average kid who drank and partied in his younger years would have seemed incriminating

and regardless there's no proof that he was lying about drinking anyway since again it comes down to his word against someone elses

o_O.Q said:
Torillian said:

probably because in this polarised environment with how incapable of rational thought so many people are, admitting to being an average kid who drank and partied in his younger years would have seemed incriminating

I don't think that the polarized environment is a good enough reason to put a proven liar onto the highest court we have. Trump can find someone who isn't a proven liar. Though honestly given his own habit of lying he may not be able to tell the difference.