By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - One Year Later, Metroid Samus Returns Still Not Sold Over 500k

Played Samus Returns?

Yes 45 46.88%

Nope 51 53.13%

Total:96
GoOnKid said:

Ths thread is a classic example of two groups talking not with each other, but next to each other - and both are right.

Group A says the Metroid fanbase should have been buying it by pointing to any individual customer. If you are a fan of Metroid and have a 3DS laying around somewhere, you have no excuse not to buy it.

Group B talks about the entire customer base as a whole, which has indeed walked away from the 3DS to some extent.

Well if you mean by "some extent" 90% of it's userbase moved on to Switch like others here are suggesting then Nintendo would've stopped supporting the system a long while ago.

RolStoppable said:
GoOnKid said:

Ths thread is a classic example of two groups talking not with each other, but next to each other - and both are right.

Group A says the Metroid fanbase should have been buying it by pointing to any individual customer. If you are a fan of Metroid and have a 3DS laying around somewhere, you have no excuse not to buy it.

Group B talks about the entire customer base as a whole, which has indeed walked away from the 3DS to some extent.

Both groups are wrong because they are missing the most crucial point: Samus Returns isn't a good Metroid game, let alone a great one.

Sorry we are not interested in your biased reviews.

Pemalite said:
RolStoppable said:

Both groups are wrong because they are missing the most crucial point: Samus Returns isn't a good Metroid game, let alone a great one.

That's your opinion anyway.

RaptorChrist said:
So weird because I love my 3DS, and it doesn't really feel that old to me. Or at least it most certainly didn't last March when people began telling Nintendo to move on.

I still have a few big 3DS games that I need to play through.

I just don't seem to be able to bring myself to be able to play mine, mostly because of the low resolution screens.
Mostly just got the 3DS for the Nintendo 64 ports and sold off my Nintendo 64.

Jumpin said:

I’m still awaiting the Switch port. I liked the original Metroid 2 back in the day. I’m one of the weird ones who enjoyed the first two Metroids, but not the later ones.

That said: Metroid Prime 4 - I have no plans to get that one, not unless someone like Monolithsoft does the game and transforms it into more of an RPG instead of an FPS dungeon crawler.

I enjoyed AM2R on the PC.
But Super Metroid has a soft spot for me.

I wouldn't mind both games getting an "Enhanced" port over to the Switch.

So you don't like smaller 240p screens but you got the 3DS for the 240p remakes of the N64 Zeldas, Starfox and some other titles.

I mean Samus Returns actually runs at a higer resolution than it's original you know, and it's a better game at that.

Paperboy_J said:

This is pretty sad, I mean after all that negative backlash Nintendo received for Federation Force?? They finally give fans what they've been begging for, and they still don't buy.

And all because... "I don't use that system anymore."

LOL, no wonder Nintendo doesn't make a lot of Metroid games.  If you're that easily put off, maybe you're not the fan you claim to be.

my feelings exactly.

curl-6 said:

Paperboy_J said:

This is pretty sad, I mean after all that negative backlash Nintendo received for Federation Force?? They finally give fans what they've been begging for, and they still don't buy.

Fans weren't begging for a 3DS Metroid.

Perhaps you weren't begging for one but Metroid fans were begging for a 2D game Metroid YEARS before the 3DS even launched and nobody was expecting a 2D Metroid on consoles so the obvious choice would be on handheld, the 3DS.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 02 October 2018

Around the Network
Snoorlax said:

curl-6 said:

Fans weren't begging for a 3DS Metroid.

Perhaps you weren't begging for one but Metroid fans were begging for a 2D game Metroid YEARS before the 3DS even launched and nobody was expecting a 2D Metroid on consoles so the obvious choice would be on handheld, the 3DS.

And yet, pretty much nobody bought it. The numbers speak for themselves really, gamers didn't want a 3DS Metroid.

curl-6 said:
Snoorlax said:

And yet, pretty much nobody bought it. The numbers speak for themselves really, gamers didn't want a 3DS Metroid.

Which proves my point that they're good at bitching and being hypocrites because after Other M and Fed Force they begged for a good Metroid game... Well here it is... What? now you want it on a bigger system when you wouldn't buy it in the first place? Game development costs millions of dollars. You don't buy them, you won't get them. 

Snoorlax said:
curl-6 said:

Which proves my point that they're good at bitching and being hypocrites because after Other M and Fed Force they begged for a good Metroid game... Well here it is... What? now you want it on a bigger system when you wouldn't buy it in the first place? Game development costs millions of dollars. You don't buy them, you won't get them. 

Fans wanted a good Metroid game, yes, but they also wanted it to be on hardware that could do it justice.

Like with Zelda, it was a franchise fans were desperate to see in modern HD visuals.

theRepublic said:

For context, here are the sales of 3DS games in 2017 according to NPD:

Nintendo 3DS

1. Pokemon: Ultra Sun
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Moon
  3. Pokemon: Sun
  4. Pokemon: Moon
  5. Super Mario Maker
  6. Metroid: Samus Returns
  7. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia
  8. Super Smash Bros.
  9. Mario Kart 7
  10. Poochy and Yoshi's Wolly World
Considering it was only beat by Pokemon and Super Mario Maker, that is pretty good.

For context that actually matters, here are the lifetime sales of the games of above according to VGChartz.

Pokemon Sun and Moon: 15.02m

Mario Kart 7: 14.92m

Super Smash Bros. (3DS): 8.19m

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon: 6.57m

Super Mario Maker (3DS) : 3.06m

Fire Emblem Echoes: 0.69m

Poochy and Yoshi: 0.54m

Metroid: Samus Returns: 0.48m

Around the Network
Paperboy_J said:

And all because... "I don't use that system anymore."

LOL, no wonder Nintendo doesn't make a lot of Metroid games.  If you're that easily put off, maybe you're not the fan you claim to be.

Yeah two things are going to happen if this franchise continues like this it either gets shelved like its Konami counterpart Castlevania did or it goes the Fire Emblem route where it's overhauled to become more consistently popular leading to a number of purist fans not liking the new approach.

That´s somewhat dissapointing. It´s a great game.

I just hope that the only reason for this is the fact that it was launched for the 3ds, in a time when everyone was only interested on the Switch.

Let´s hope Prime 4 meets a better reception regarding sales.

Still... I´m curious about digital sales numbers.

Snoorlax said:

So you don't like smaller 240p screens but you got the 3DS for the 240p remakes of the N64 Zeldas, Starfox and some other titles.

I mean Samus Returns actually runs at a higer resolution than it's original you know, and it's a better game at that.

The 3DS is not 240P.
Provided you mean 240P as in Progressive scan that is typically 16:9 aspect ratio.

I originally bought the 3ds because I didn't think it would be a big deal at the time, impulse buy if you will, probably my least played console of all time.

Whether Samus Returns runs at a higher resolution is besides the point... Twice as high as 240P is still a poor resolution whichever way you cut the cake.
I never discredited it's gameplay though, it could be really good, I won't know until it's ported to a better system.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

FE echoes is really the main one to compare here as the gauge of interest between the two main niche franchises of fire emblem and metroid. Echoes though is arguably a dated game with ailienating arcaic mechanics though the presentation is awesome. However most that are truely interested in it are only the VERY small minority. And it still sold 700k.
SR had all the hype it needed to plus the nostalgia factor going for it but it sold less than 500k. It has mechanics that are updated and generally present to the 2d Metroidvainia player, but it still underperformed.

Then again fire emblem beating Metroid in Japan has always been a trend even when Metroid sold better in Japan - 710k super Metroid vs 740k FE3... The Japanese actually loved the shit out of Metroid (they loved FE more but still) untill prime came around and they saw it become a genre they don't like- a first/third person shooter. The first time that a shooter REALLY sold well in Japan is Splatoon...

curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Gimping? They're CLEARLY moving on to the Switch and phasing the 3DS out. That 2017 Nintendo Direct was all Switch, the didn't announce any 3DS stuff until the Treehouse stream where they revealed Samus Returns... AFTER they announced Metroid Prime 4... for the Nintendo Switch.
The latest Nintendo Direct was about 36 minutes long, they spent barely 5 minutes on the 3DS on games we already knew about beforehand, and the other 31 minutes on the Switch.

The only games that are getting released on the 3DS now are remakes that already have engines and assets on the 3DS from previous games so they spend minimal, very little resources into making them (Mario & Luigi and Luigi's Mansion; In fact, those games because those are being outsourced to other developers. So, Nintendo is barely lifting a finger there.) and 3rd party titles... that also have engines and assets from previous games on the system (Persona Q2). All to make a quick buck with minimal time and resources spent making them while the major 3rd party developers like Atlus have moved on to the Switch for the real big guns (SMT V). All of Nintendo's first party development teams and all the Japanese 3rd parties (plus the Western 3rd parties who were non-existent on 3DS) have moved on to the Switch. One little remake for the 3DS to extend its life just a little bit is not going to stop your 10 other Switch games that you're looking forward to, plus many more that will come in the future.

It's so obvious where Nintendo's resources, manpower, and priorities lie that even Stevie Wonder can see it.

Back when SR released, I was simply voting with my wallet, doing my small part to ensure that games would be put on Switch instead of 3DS.

Yeah, hoping 2D Metroid won't ever disappear because Nintendo will take this as no one want 2D Metroid game