By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega announced Kemono Friends game.

Sega is making a Kemono Friends game, the company announced during a Tokyo Game Show 2018 stage event. 

The company was unable to share further information. When asked about kind of game it is and what platforms it will be available on, Sega Games’ Minoru Iwaki could not say anything more. He was only able to divulge that it will have voice-overs and that they are putting their utmost effort into making a proper game.

More information will be announced in December.

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/sega-announces-kemono-friends-game

Around the Network

So absolutely no information besides the name.

#NoTatsukiNoTanoshii

So yeah, this property is in a complete mess right now. Basically it was a low budget project where its creative interpretation by the anime director made it an surprise otaku hit. The director was then sacked from the project wholesale because he did some unorthodox things that the suits above him didn't like. There has been a new Kemofure anime announced with a new director and to say fans are unhappy would be a huge understatement.

Curious to see what happens to this (I assume since there's already a mobile game) console game.

It's a crazy story, really. New mobile game IP debuts in Japan and is essentially a flop, shutting down before the anime intended to promote the game is even released. However, the tiny team that works on the anime turns it into such a unique and charming production that it becomes a smash hit, thus pulling the entire IP out of the grave.

Obviously, that means another season of the anime--only without the director and studio responsible for that success in the first place. So now they're trying to build up the IP again like nothing ever happened.

Should be interesting.

I'm willing to give it a chance. If it's good, it's good. But the original anime was such a wonderful breath of fresh air for the entire animation industry. It had something indefinable that made each episode a joy to watch. I want to see if they take the franchise in a new direction or if they try to replicate what Yaoyorozu did with it--and if they fail or succeed with that.

pokoko said:
It's a crazy story, really. New mobile game IP debuts in Japan and is essentially a flop, shutting down before the anime intended to promote the game is even released. However, the tiny team that works on the anime turns it into such a unique and charming production that it becomes a smash hit, thus pulling the entire IP out of the grave.

Obviously, that means another season of the anime--only without the director and studio responsible for that success in the first place. So now they're trying to build up the IP again like nothing ever happened.

Should be interesting.

I'm willing to give it a chance. If it's good, it's good. But the original anime was such a wonderful breath of fresh air for the entire animation industry. It had something indefinable that made each episode a joy to watch. I want to see if they take the franchise in a new direction or if they try to replicate what Yaoyorozu did with it--and if they fail or succeed with that.

I was tempted to pick this up... Now I gotta watch this.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

I want to give you fair warning.  This is a very humble "all audiences" anime that was produced on a shoestring budget.  The animation looks terrible at first glance.  Most people probably won't like it at all.

I tried the first episode when it initially released and cut it off after about 10 minutes.  I thought it was a bad children's fluff anime and dismissed it entirely.  However, a few days later, when I was completely bored, I gave it another shot and finished the episode.  I thought the story was interesting but I still wasn't hooked by any means.  I kept watching, though, as each episode released, and I realized that it just made me happy.  I didn't know that it had taken Niconico by storm until after I was already a fan.

All the different characters they meet have so much personality.  The style of the director is to focus on making the conversations feel like actual conversations, with realistic interruptions and sounds, not just actors reading off a script.  There is lots of engagement between them, including lots of head movements and exaggerated reactions.  The voice actresses sound like they're having an absolute blast and it's just infectious.  Half the time, it almost feels like improv.

That the backbone of the story is almost a post-apocalyptic/science-fiction combination of Winnie-the-Pooh and The Island of Dr. Moreau is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by pokoko - on 21 September 2018

pokoko said:
KLAMarine said:

I want to give you fair warning.  This is a very humble "all audiences" anime that was produced on a shoestring budget.  The animation looks terrible at first glance.  Most people probably won't like it at all.

I tried the first episode when it initially released and cut it off after about 10 minutes.  I thought it was a bad children's fluff anime and dismissed it entirely.  However, a few days later, when I was completely bored, I gave it another shot and finished the episode.  I thought the story was interesting but I still wasn't hooked by any means.  I kept watching, though, as each episode released, and I realized that it just made me happy.  I didn't know that it had taken Niconico by storm until after I was already a fan.

All the different characters they meet have so much personality.  The style of the director is to focus on making the conversations feel like actual conversations, with realistic interruptions and sounds, not just actors reading off a script.  There is lots of engagement between them, including lots of head movements and exaggerated reactions.  The voice actresses sound like they're having an absolute blast and it's just infectious.  Half the time, it almost feels like improv.

That the backbone of the story is almost a post-apocalyptic/science-fiction combination of Winnie-the-Pooh and The Island of Dr. Moreau is just icing on the cake.

Looks like a fun time, can't wait!