Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online can improve

Lonely_Dolphin said:

-A rate of 3 NES games per month means they can keep adding new ones for the entirety of Switch's life.

I think it's the eShop page for the NES application that states that eventually there will be no more NES games added. Doubtful that it refers to the end of Switch's lifecycle. Also doubtful that every kind of bad NES game is going to be added to the mix, so that limits the number of potential choices.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

-A rate of 3 NES games per month means they can keep adding new ones for the entirety of Switch's life.

I think it's the eShop page for the NES application that states that eventually there will be no more NES games added. Doubtful that it refers to the end of Switch's lifecycle. Also doubtful that every kind of bad NES game is going to be added to the mix, so that limits the number of potential choices.

But they already have some bad ones a.k.a. all of them.

But okay, majority of Switch's remaining life then. Did virtual console keep adding games up until the very end of it's systems? Even if so, I believe they could go a good 3 years of NES games, which will end up with over a hundred titles in the service. I think that justifys not adding more games all the way until Switch 2.

superchunk said:

It is arguable that the Switch is running a more demanding operating system in general than X360. But regardless, you're right there is no technical excuse we know of.

Of course it is running a more demanding OS.
But even though that is the case, there is still zero technical reason to omit voice, it is just not demanding on system resources.

superchunk said:

There is a use case scenario that Nintendo is focusing on that is more than likely driving this solution (with an app) over an integrated solution (within console). I think Nintendo is betting that consumers would rather just use their phones for all social mechanisms that any solution they'd create in the Switch. You could argue the phone app is a in-house solution, but I think basing it on the customer's phone is the key. It allows you to also use any other social app instead of or potentially, in combination of their app with any form of head wear you prefer (also alleviating the need to support a bunch of other tech).

Well... Nintendo is wrong, it's a hot cumbersome mess.
Who wants  to be fumbling around with phones while playing a game? Since when did we have 4 hands?

superchunk said:

I'm still in the general camp that an integrated solution would have been the better customer experience, but I'd like to see if Nintendo has some other new features coming that will make this solution more beneficial.

I agree.

superchunk said:

Specifically, the game specific types of functionality the standalone app can provide by separating the needs of the game from the needs of the online / community functionality.

I don't see how a standalone app running on a smartphone could possibly provide any benefits over an integrated solution, nor has anyone provided a compelling argument on why that is the case yet.
Voice communication has been a "thing" for over a century now, it's not a difficult concept.

Would have loved LTE support as well, but that is another discussion/whinge to be had.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

HintHRO said:
I know a more likely scenario: it will not improve. Switch online is literally doing everything worse than the Wii U online service. Where is Miiverse? Friend messaging? Normal voice chat? N64 games? Hell even Wii had N64 games! Nintendo had 1,5 years to come up with a decent online service. Even if Switch online was free it would still be a laughable service.

But since everybody is going to buy it anyway to play Smash, Nintendo will think they did a good job and keep it as it is now.

Being a paid service practically forces Nintendo to improve it over time, because there's always the risk of people droping subscriptions, which means low player-bases, and less money being made. Yes, it's annoying Nintendo didn't add as much as they should've in time for launch, but that doesn't mean they can't do so afterwards.

Pemalite said:

Who wants  to be fumbling around with phones while playing a game? Since when did we have 4 hands?

Those who actually used it said it's not actually that bad. Yes, the option to use a more conventional headset would be needed, but everyone has warmed up to the idea so far as its easy to set up, and lets you talk with randoms in most games. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Pemalite said:

Those who actually used it said it's not actually that bad. Yes, the option to use a more conventional headset would be needed, but everyone has warmed up to the idea so far as its easy to set up, and lets you talk with randoms in most games. 

It will never be as convenient as pressing a single button to talk.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

How is getting a phone to chat any different from getting a headset, turning it on/plugging it in, then strapping it to your ear? The whole "need another device" argument is BS because you always need another device for voice chat on consoles. Yes, we should have an option to use a conventional headset, but this current solution isn't made more clunky just because its on a phone. The main problem people have with it at the moment, is that there's currently no way to output the chat audio to the console or tv's Speakers, everything inputs and outputs through the phone, which can be limiting in various situations. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Pemalite said:

How is getting a phone to chat any different from getting a headset, turning it on/plugging it in, then strapping it to your ear? The whole "need another device" argument is BS because you always need another device for voice chat on consoles. 

What?

Headphone = 1 device

Headphone + phone = 2 devices

This isn't complicated

Too worthless to live, too scared to die. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

How is getting a phone to chat any different from getting a headset, turning it on/plugging it in, then strapping it to your ear? The whole "need another device" argument is BS because you always need another device for voice chat on consoles. 

What?

Headphone = 1 device

This isn't complicated

Except you don't have to use headphones with the app. Just open it, and put it on a coffee table or counter. Yes, most would like an option to use a headset connected directly to the Switch, but you really don't need the Hori Splat and Chat mess that people initially feared. 

Pemalite said:
RaptorChrist said:
Offloading the voice chat functionality to our mobile devices frees up additional processing power on the Switch to allow for slightly better performance in our games.

Personally, I almost never use voice chat, but I think Nintendo made a smart move with this one.

Voice chat isn't demanding.
The Xbox 360 could do it within an Operating System that was only using 32MB of Ram verses the Switch's 1024MB.
The Xbox 360 could do it with a CPU that was significantly inferior. (And didn't have an entire CPU core dedicated to OS/Background tasks.)

There really is no technical excuse why the Switch cannot have voice chat.

Even the Dreamcast and original 2001 Xbox and 2000 PS2 coulddo it. 

I just felt like talking. I'll go now.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 22 September 2018

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

TheMisterManGuy said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

What?

Headphone = 1 device

This isn't complicated

Except you don't have to use headphones with the app. Just open it, and put it on a coffee table or counter. Yes, most would like an option to use a headset connected directly to the Switch, but you really don't need the Hori Splat and Chat mess that people initially feared. 

I don't get your point. 

So you're saying that because you don't HAVE to use a headphone it only takes one device?

Most devices that incorporate voice chat don't require headphones. But people still use them. So you're creating a false equivalency.

Too worthless to live, too scared to die.