By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Classic Announced, releasing in December 3rd with 20 games pre-loaded and cost $99

Shot straight to #1 on amazon UK. Hype is real.

Around the Network

I wondered if i'd feel as apathetic about a PS1 mini announcement as I did with the NES and SNES and it turns out the answer is yes, I feel nothing

There's a big market for these retro systems though, and a lot of people are clearly excited. I do feel like they should be aiming for 30 games rather than 20 though. Creating these retro systems is probably an IP nightmare (the more games you include, the more different parties you potentially need to negotiate with and pay), but add in some more of their own games, and maybe a few sequels (like Final Fantasy 8 and 9), and it shouldn't be too much trouble.

I hope Rival Schools, Bushido Blade, and Tekken 3 is on there.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Depending on what the other 15 games are, I might get it. Considering Activision's policies, I think it might be appropriate to tell everyone in here to not hold out for their games on this PS1 Classic. (Tony Hawk, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot) Especially since two of those IP's just got a full HD remaster.
The other 15 games will probably be...
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Final Fantasy IX
- Chrono Cross
- Gran Turismo
- Metal Gear Solid
- Resident Evil 2
- Castlevania: SOTN
- Parappa the Rappa
- Wipeout
- Need for Speed 3
- Marvel vs Capcom
- Legend of the Dragoon
- Medal of Honor
- Diablo
- Mortal Kombat Trilogy

That'd be the best selection, in my opinion...

Now what we all need is a PS2 classic

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

Based on what we can tell at the moment about the size of the PS1 classic, I don't know how much smaller they could make the PS2 classic vs how small the PS2 slim already was. Would be kinda weird if it was the same size and just didn't take physical media. Which kind of makes you wonder if the PS2 slim was that small with an optical drive back then, why with today's tech isn't the PS1 classic considerably smaller than they seemed to make it?

deskpro2k3 said:

or just buy a slim for dirt cheap, you won't be limited to 20-25 games.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 20 September 2018

Considering my Snes mini got played for a few days at Christmas and never since, I'll pass. Well, a few months later we tried to get it working again, succeeded after half an hour to play for 10 minutes.

Doesn't the ps4 play ps1 games? ps2? ps3 does for sure. Do I want to play ps1 games again, nah. Remastered as in rebuild, sure. 240p 3D games upscaled to 4K, nah. I played the original Wipeout ps1 game on ps3, it was already rough a decade ago.

Zekkyou said:
I wondered if i'd feel as apathetic about a PS1 mini announcement as I did with the NES and SNES and it turns out the answer is yes, I feel nothing

There's a big market for these retro systems though, and a lot of people are clearly excited. I do feel like they should be aiming for 30 games rather than 20 though. Creating these retro systems is probably an IP nightmare (the more games you include, the more different parties you potentially need to negotiate with and pay), but add in some more of their own games, and maybe a few sequels (like Final Fantasy 8 and 9), and it shouldn't be too much trouble.

I agree. I think 20 games are on the low side. They really have to choose wisely and that'd probably make 3rd party royalties too expensive.

Hopefully, we'll be able to load it with ROMs of games we already own physically. Just like we could on NES and SNES Classic.

Rafie said:
I hope Rival Schools, Bushido Blade, and Tekken 3 is on there.

Tekken 3 already confirmed. That's the best news for me as I've never been able to buy that game digitally.

In your defense, I think OP could use more info and pics. The tweet doesn't even load for me (on mac).

SvennoJ said:
Considering my Snes mini got played for a few days at Christmas and never since, I'll pass. Well, a few months later we tried to get it working again, succeeded after half an hour to play for 10 minutes.

Together with lack of info on the remaining 15 games, that's the thing holding me back from preordering. I'm afraid that I'll only be using it a few times. If they somehow manage to patch out expired music to be able to include Gran Turismo, I'd be warmer. Even with the hassle of connecting my original, old PS1, I've played GT1 many times alone and with friends.