By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK charts: Slow start for Tomb Raider as Spider-Man reigns supreme

hiccupthehuman said:

I don't think it's an exclusivity issue, as majority of sales were on Ps4. If the exclusivity had pissed off Ps4 owners, then wouldn"t a higher proportion of the sales come from Xbox? And why wouldn't they have boycotted Rise instead? Are Ps4 owners that petty over a deal from 3 years ago?

Personally, I'm just tired of the Tomb Raider franchise at this point. Narratively, I was pretty underwhelmed by the second game, which felt pretty much like a repeat of the first 2013 game. Reviews of the finale seem to indicate the story isn't the main seller, and that Lara is pretty unlikeable and crazy in the third one too, and I just can't invest myself in a single-player story when the main character is unlikeable.

It's not a boycott. More then missed their chance. If it released on ps4 holiday 2015 it would have sold gangbusters. Ps4 owners were super thirsty for this type of game  especially with uncharted delayed to May 2016. Instead we bought umcharted in huge numbers summer 2016 and then come the tomb raider release later in October we were no longer nearly as thirsty she interest had severely died down. 

Yes it outsold the xbox version anyway but with the ps4 user base so much bigger and it being more tomb raider biased that's not a surprise. But it definitely lost a ton of sales. And remember it launch at 40$ on ps4 so they lost a ton of revenue from those who would go on to buy it antwwy. They should have had huge sales holiday 2015 on ps4 and at  $60. Bad mistake that EA made with titanfall. Let's hope next gen publishers see sense. 

Around the Network
Faelco said:
hiccupthehuman said:

I don't think it's an exclusivity issue, as majority of sales were on Ps4. If the exclusivity had pissed off Ps4 owners, then wouldn"t a higher proportion of the sales come from Xbox? And why wouldn't they have boycotted Rise instead? Are Ps4 owners that petty over a deal from 3 years ago?

Personally, I'm just tired of the Tomb Raider franchise at this point. Narratively, I was pretty underwhelmed by the second game, which felt pretty much like a repeat of the first 2013 game. Reviews of the finale seem to indicate the story isn't the main seller, and that Lara is pretty unlikeable and crazy in the third one too, and I just can't invest myself in a single-player story when the main character is unlikeable.

It's not about being petty I think. The exclusivity mess surely turned some PS4 players away from Rise of. It released on the PS4 too late, the hype was dead, and IIRC other big games released around the same time. So people were just not interested anymore. And since this one is the sequel, people who didn't play Rise of will obviously be less interested in it.

Personally, I played TR2013 on Steam because of everyone saying how great it was, and I was really disappointed in it. It just felt like a poor attempt to copy Uncharted, and it just lacked something to make me feel interested in the series again. 

It also seemed like a big "fuck you" to the fans that actually made the series a success, the PS fanbase.  Not only with the OG games, but the reboot sold massively more on the PS3+PS4.  And then a couple of years later, when the PS4 is growing the gap even more, you take MS's money to make it exclusive?  I think it left a bad taste in PS gamers' mouths.  That coupled with the delay for PS fans to get their hands on it hurt the sales quite a bit.  And it looks like it didn't help this new one, either.

As for your 2nd paragraph, I agree.  Uncharted was always a game about exploration streamlined to being much more linear, but also very cinematic in its presentation.  It's that cinematic approach that set it apart from TR.  TR was always about the exploration of a large level.  Then, when they reboot it, instead of keeping it close to its roots, they just copy UC, making it much more linear.  That really killed the game for me.

Guess that's it for Tomb Raider for a while, good job Square you killed it

melbye said:

Let's not forget Gallagher... The head of the studio responsible for the exclusivity deal, and who is now a Microsoft employee.

This guy put the Tomb Raider IP at risk in exchange for a job... 

Shadow of the Tomb Raider down over 70% compaired to Rise of the Tomb Raider.
63% are PS4 users, to 37% xbox users.

From OP..... Ouch poor Tomb Raider.

And Spiderman seems to be takeing the world by storm, with sales.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 17 September 2018

Around the Network
Faelco said:
melbye said:

Let's not forget Gallagher... The head of the studio responsible for the exclusivity deal, and who is now a Microsoft employee.

This guy put the Tomb Raider IP at risk in exchange for a job... 

Yeah he wanted that job more than he cared about the IP of tomb raider, or the sales & profit for square.

Wow Spider man almost surpassing God of war and I'm sure it's not just in the uk and Japan like that :o
Probably Europe is very similar meaning the eu/Asia sales will be huge for spider man. Probably surpass God of war in a week or two.
I wonder how it is in the USA but I think the same or slightly higher

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Tomb Raider sold much better on PS4 even with Spider-Man. No idea how you came to the conclusion that the last exlusivity deal killed it. XBO sales shouldn't be negatively impacted by it which means you believe that the new Tomb Raider would have sold like 4x more on PS4 as on XBO without the last exclusivity deal and that just doesn't make much sense.

It sold as much more on PS4 as you could expect with the difference of sold consoles and a huge release like Spider-Man. That game obviously took sales from Tomb Raider.

People just don't care much about the game. It doesn't feel like a game you need to play especially after the last two games. I really liked the first game of the reboot and absolutely don't care about the new one and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

It's not a FIFA which people buy again and again for new seasons.

So you’re telling me that Spidey sold more than 116k retail copies in its second week?
Holy spiderweb

crissindahouse said:
Tomb Raider sold much better on PS4 even with Spider-Man. No idea how you came to the conclusion that the last exlusivity deal killed it.

A look at <Installl base on XBox (then)>  vs <Install base XBox+PS4 (now)> pretty much tells us everything about the success of the new TR.