By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK charts: Slow start for Tomb Raider as Spider-Man reigns supreme

Madword said:
Wow that 2nd week from Spiderman, amazing!

Not surprised about TR to be honest, not much hype, 2nd one was same as 1st and 3rd didnt seem like it was going to do anything different.

Exactly this. I’ve said the same thing about RotTR feeling so samey compared to the first. I have no idea why critics praise Rise so much. And yep, Shadow looks just like more of the same, so I’ve officially lost interest. I’ve had enough bad voice acting, mediocre story, and samey gameplay.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
axumblade said:
25% up and on the same week as one of Playstations biggest exclusives and they are still saying it under performed? Give it some time before automatically dismissing it. I'm sure it'll end up selling around the same as Rise of the Tomb Raider.

It underperformed and we know by looking at Xbox One.  The reason why people say this is by comparing 36k to 19k.  By looking at XO numbers we can see a huge decline.  This was marketed on Xbox One so it is very telling.  There is no way around this.  The sales on Xbox has gone up in the 3 years since Rise so a 48% drop on Xbox alone tells you what you need to know.  Spiderman wasn't on Xbox so how do you explain the massive decline on that platform?  36k to 19k...  what freaking happened here?  Clearly, for it to not underperform, Xbox One numbers should have been much higher.  

For more proof look at Rise total debut XO/PS4 in UK

XO:36k 11/15

PS4:33k 10/16

Total 69k

So the total Debut of Rise excluding Xbox 360 was 69k

The total Debut of Shadow was 52k

That is a decline of 25% (excluding 360 which makes 30% decline)

It underperformed.

Let me reiterate that Rise came out on a Tuesday, while Shadow came out on a Friday. Five days of tracking versus Two. That's a disadvantage that can't be ignored.

Let's at least see how it's second week goes before we make prematurely make that judgement

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

DonFerrari said:
foodfather said:
Tuesday vs Friday

/ Thread

What are you talking about?

SpiderMan second week is like 2-3x bigger than Shadow first week combined.

he's not even talking about spiderman.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Ugh poor Dragon Quest.

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

What are you talking about?

SpiderMan second week is like 2-3x bigger than Shadow first week combined.

he's not even talking about spiderman.

The 2 vs 5 days is pointless anyway as most of the sales are day one or in the weekend anyway. Plus Xbox alone have like dropped to half sales even with bigger userbase. Game done bad sales no excuses, and I doubt the drop to second week will be 0, so even with 2 weeks the game on Xbox will have sold less than fw of the previous game and that will be 9 days versus 5 (reversed) so will we do any excuses for it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
CosmicSex said:

Let me reiterate that Rise came out on a Tuesday, while Shadow came out on a Friday. Five days of tracking versus Two. That's a disadvantage that can't be ignored.

Let's at least see how it's second week goes before we make prematurely make that judgement

Those 3 days would not have turned 19k into 36k.  Thats an unbelievable conclusion.  You are forcing yourself to be unreasonable.  Jim, its dead.

I think Tomb Raider has to do with them dragging this origin story on and on without having anything really pay off so far. Its like at the end of each game so far you think ''ok shes reached her peek of the story,time to show her AS the Tomb Raider'' then the next game is a ''finding herself'' story still. Plus giving the game mostly to Eidos Montreal over Crystal Dynamics, the quality has dropped from this game to the last one. So I think those things are major players in the sales. People are just tired of playing an origin story and want the damn story to move on from it already.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
I think Tomb Raider has to do with them dragging this origin story on and on without having anything really pay off so far. Its like at the end of each game so far you think ''ok shes reached her peek of the story,time to show her AS the Tomb Raider'' then the next game is a ''finding herself'' story still. Plus giving the game mostly to Eidos Montreal over Crystal Dynamics, the quality has dropped from this game to the last one. So I think those things are major players in the sales. People are just tired of playing an origin story and want the damn story to move on from it already.

I didn't really think that it felt worse from a gameplay point  of view from the previous two, it's just that it doesn't do anything that sets it apart from them.  And then there is the very poor handling and marketing of the franchise

melbye said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

I didn't really think that it felt worse from a gameplay point  of view from the previous two, it's just that it doesn't do anything that sets it apart from them.  And then there is the very poor handling and marketing of the franchise

Yeah, they've stretched this idea on too long. Hopefully the series gets a rest until PS5/XB2 so they can start again and ditch the origin story

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
melbye said:

Yeah, they've stretched this idea on too long. Hopefully the series gets a rest until PS5/XB2 so they can start again and ditch the origin story

Yes, i can definitely see that happening.