By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Changing lead platforms for the first time since 1998.

Mr.Playstation said:
KBG29 said:

PlayStation has finally drove me away. 

For the last 1 1/2 they have completely abandoned PS4. They have stopped supporting any of their services (outside of PlayStation Vue), PSN is down more and more every month, and the OS is getting worse and worse. What the hell are we paying for with PS+?

I've literally experienced none of these :/. 

Yea, that seems a lot like flamebait.  I mean, where has this increase in PSN being down happening?  Cause I sure as hell haven't seen any reports of it.  Maybe his internet just isn't good?  And the OS has been about the same, with some small improvements here or there.  Is his system overheating or something, causing it to run slow?  And as others have mentioned, I've heard that the XBO OS is more bloated and takes longer to do some things.

shikamaru317 said:

You're definitely right about PS4 OS, they have left it by the wayside. The latest numbered update, 6.0, only had stability improvements, no new features at all. The latest OS update I got on my XB1 added the new avatar system. And we can't forget all of the features that XB1's OS has already that PS4 lacks, achievement tracker, playtime tracker, etc. 

I also agree that Gamepass is a ridiculously good value compared to Sony's comparable streaming service, not only does it cost less, it offers local games instead of laggy cloud games, and it has all 1st party games day 1.

It definitely feels like Sony is getting lazy and overconfident again, just like they did when they let PS2's success go to their head. I worry that they are going to pull a PS3 again when they announce PS5, no crossplay, no backwards compatibility, poor price/performance ratio, a cocky attitude...

@ bold

I'm sure you guys are hoping for that, since that is most likely the only way Xbox returns to the heights of the 360, but it ain't happening.  Not sure how a company gets lazy, yet continues to churn out great exclusives for their system, as well as continue to work with 3rd parties for other exclusives, which helps them sell more than twice their closest competition.  Probably close to 3 times by the time the gen is over. 

No crossplay?  You realize Sony is the one of the first to allow crossplay with PC and mobile, right?  I doubt that will change next gen.  Sure, it probably won't be crossplay with XB2 or Switch, but that won't hurt them at all.

As far as B/C goes, the PS3 was B/C with both the previous systems at launch.  In this regard, I hope they do pull a PS3.  We already have a line in their report for IR Day talking about steps to mitigate the impact of the new gen, obviously talking about PS4 B/C, as well as a patent that points to it.  Earlier we had one exec saying something along the lines that they need to look closer at the PS Store and how the next HW takes full advantage of it.  My take is they are looking at a way so that the PS5 can play every game on the Store.

As for price, not sure why you think Sony will be the more expensive one.  Seems Sony has been sticking with $399 this whole gen for new HW, including HW that outperforms the competition, while MS has been sticking with $499.  My guess is next gen, MS will stick with $499, or they will lower the price to better match Sony's.  And given that the PS5 is using a Zen CPU and a Navi GPU, I doubt performance will be an issue.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 16 September 2018

Around the Network
Conina said:
KBG29 said:

For the first time in 20 years, I am changing my main platform. Microsoft has won me over after 17 years of hard work. They have become open, started listening to consumers, and partners. They are building a Platform, that can continually grow, and reach across the entire spectrum of electronics. They have a vision, and they have been open to the public with where they want to go. This is the company that I want to support. So starting this month my $450 a month entertainment budget is moving to Microsoft.

So, have you already bought a Windows 10 phone and a Surface tablet to get the most out of the Microsoft services and their connectivity?

Not yet, I bought the Xbox One X back in January, and this weekend I added an XBO S to the bedroom. 

I don't have any surface device or Windows 10 purchase line-up light now, but I will be looking into them in the future.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I mostly agree with you about PS+, I don't play much MP games so that has no value for me.

But the games, man. The games are the most important feature of a videogame console in my opinion. This year we had God of War, Shadow of the colossus, Spider-man. Next year Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2 and then in 2020 or before Death Stranding but most importantly:

Demon's souls remastered !!! You really can't miss that gem running at sweet 60fps !!

globalisateur said:
I mostly agree with you about PS+, I don't play much MP games so that has no value for me.

But the games, man. The games are the most important feature of a videogame console in my opinion. This year we had God of War, Shadow of the colossus, Spider-man. Next year Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2 and then in 2020 or before Death Stranding but most importantly:

Demon's souls remastered !!! You really can't miss that gem running at sweet 60fps !!

Source? Demon Souls Remastered? 

KBG29 said:
Conina said:

So, have you already bought a Windows 10 phone and a Surface tablet to get the most out of the Microsoft services and their connectivity?

Not yet, I bought the Xbox One X back in January, and this weekend I added an XBO S to the bedroom. 

I don't have any surface device or Windows 10 purchase line-up light now, but I will be looking into them in the future.

Are all these consoles just for you or for the family aswell? You must have a good job! 

Around the Network

As someone who has an X1, WiiU, Switch, and PS4...I can tell you that (for me) the X1 is the least appealing out of ALL of them. There are many games on Playstation I like playing that I can play no where else. In terms of multiplat online games the two networks perform exactly the same, but for me PSN has less downtime. My X1 has literally become a glorified netflix machine, because the only games it ever seems to have worth playing are also on my PS4.

I will say MS has one up in available services, but none of them are worth changing my primary console over. It is all fluff. Crossplay is a non factor, as not every game on the X1 even comes out on Switch. Furthermore over 90% of the ones that do fail to have crossplay anyway. It is literally just 3  notable games that has it.

MS has a crap selection of exclusives in comparison to the PS4 (opinion). Seeing how games are the purpose of owning a game console above all else, this is a BIG deal.

IMO, Switch and PS4 are the only real options unless you are getting an X1X and have zero desire to play anything outside of multiplats that are also on PS4. And to be honest, I would just go back yo PC gaming at that point.

Good luck to you, but take it from someone who has experience with the two. If you are expecting a totally different experience compared to what you are getting with PS4, prepare to be disappointed.

Last edited by Shiken - on 16 September 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

shikamaru317 said:

You're definitely right about PS4 OS, they have left it by the wayside. The latest numbered update, 6.0, only had stability improvements, no new features at all. The latest OS update I got on my XB1 added the new avatar system. And we can't forget all of the features that XB1's OS has already that PS4 lacks, achievement tracker, playtime tracker, etc. 

I also agree that Gamepass is a ridiculously good value compared to Sony's comparable streaming service, not only does it cost less, it offers local games instead of laggy cloud games, and it has all 1st party games day 1.

It definitely feels like Sony is getting lazy and overconfident again, just like they did when they let PS2's success go to their head. I worry that they are going to pull a PS3 again when they announce PS5, no crossplay, no backwards compatibility, poor price/performance ratio, a cocky attitude...

This is exactly what I am talking about. Sony have changed in the last year, and I don't even recognize them anymore. When Shawn Layden was at the table at E3 and started talking like Sony's shit don't stink, it really rubbed me the wrong way. They are getting extremely cocky, and over what? 80 Million sales? You have to be kidding me Sony. Then Kenichiro Yoshida comes out and says they don't support cross play because PlayStation is the best place to play. 

Sony has gotten way to comfortable. They have so many gaming related things that they need to fix on their OS, but they have not done a thing for a 1 1/2.

I just feel I need to do what I can to pump the brakes on this, because things are starting to feel like they are getting out of control. I want Sony to succeed, I want PS4 to grow, and I want PS5 to be awesome, but their current attitude gives me zero hope that PS4 is ever going to improve, and makes me fear what they might do with PS5.  

LudicrousSpeed said:

Worst part about this comment is if it were anyone else you could almost believe them if they just meant to say they're entitled to disagree, but I think we all know you literally do not accept his decision. It's his decision to make, there's literally nothing else for you to accept LOL.

Anyways, good on you OP. I made the same leap after PS1/PS2. I still buy Playstation consoles, but they are far from my main platform. Your issues are related to the OS and laziness, mine were about online play and the controller.

Thanks.

I have always been loyal to Sony, even as a multi-console owner. This is the first time, I have started to feel uncomfortable with where they are going with the platform. I have championed Sony for years, and been an apologist when they messed up. I have been disappointed with them, but kept on trucking on in belief that they would fix things. It has finally hit the point, where instead of being angry with them and just living with it, I am going to move on. They have finally broke me to the point I no longer believe they will ever become unified as a company. It is their destiny, to just shuffle around wasting potential, struggling, and loosing money.

Like you I will contineu to play 1st party exclusives on all systems, but my 3rd party titles, non gaming attivities, and $450 a month entertiamnet budget will go elsewhere.

potato_hamster said:
Kerotan said:

Did he also push for Sony to make a sequel to the vita? Could be mixing him up with some body else. 

Not just a vita, but a vita with so much smartphone functionality, it's not even funny, complete with running the same OS as the PS4, and running similar architecture to the PS4. He thinks millions of people would pay over $500 for that.

Also, KBG, don't let the door hit you on the way out. You won't be missed. Meanwhile, Sony will continue working on things their userbase actually cares about rather than things like web browser, which while is important to you, I bet less than 1% of PS4 users even knows it has one, or would care if it was removed.

I'm not completely leaving the platfom, I will still be using PlayStation for VR and 1st party titles. I want them to succeed. Just because I am taking my 3rd party and non gaming money elsewhere does not mean I don't have any interest in the future of the company. I will still be around to call out their terrible business decisions, and campaign for a unified OS across their products. Just as I will be around to champion great things they do with PSVR and 1st party software. I am just done denying myself features and quality content while I wait for Sony to deliver.

Random_Matt said:
Should probably lock this thread anyway, just bait material.

Absolutely not the point of this. I have been on these forums for over a decade, and been a massive PlayStation supporter. You can look back and see for yourself. Check my PSN Profile vs my XBL Profile. I am KBG29 on Both. 

The reason I am moving on, and I made this thread was to voice my real concerns for the decisions Sony has made over the last year, and the attitude they have presented. The biggest things I can do as a consumer is spend my money, and discuss why I am spending my money as I am. 

So what I have done, is take my money elsewhere, and come speak to the people that share similar intrests, as to why I am making that move. These forums are to discuss gaming and sales, and I believe part of that is sharing opinions and thoughts on the current state of the companies involved in this industry. 

VAMatt said:
I largely agree with the OP's concerns.

The PS4 is stagnant, in terms of UI and other features. Sony is riding off the success of their games. (Which may or may not be a reasonable way for them to go, but it is definitely a fact).

The way they treated Vita was really bad. They just dropped it after it became clear that it wasn't going to sell as well as they hoped, leaving many owners with an expensive paper weight.

I don't know anything about the Xperia line, as I'm not a user. I've heard similar complaints elsewhere though.

Sony TVs..... well, they're definitely not a top choice for software features. This doesn't bother me, but I'll confirm that the OP's comment in this regard are accurate.

I don't have any brand loyalty, so I won't be making any big switch of all of my tech devices. As for gaming, I buy all multi-plats, except shooters, on PS4 Pro, because it is the most powerful console I own. If I buy an XBoneX, I'll change that. I buy shooters on XB, because the controller is much better. I also use XB as my main home entertainment device, because I like the TV control features.

With all of that said, I do think MS screwed buyers of XBone in one big way - the removal of the "snap" feature. It was a selling point of the system for me, and they just completely removed it. At first, they hinted that it would be replaced with something similar. But, AFAIK, that replacement never came. So, let's not pretend that MS is immune from criticism.

Great reply, thank you for having a conversation.

The thing that really has me bothered, is Sony has now blown off both of their last two systems. They left the Vita high and dry while it was struggling to sell, and now they have abandoned the PS4 while it is the market leader. That really bothers me, and I just can't sit back as someone that bought both devices, and pretend everything is ok. I went through 5 years of them slowly going out of their way to kill the Vita, and now I have watched for a 1 1/2 as they do nothing with the PS4. I just can not keep tossing free money their way.

I agree with what you said about Microsoft as well though.

First things first, they had the same attitude Sony does now at the beggining of this gen. Don Mattrick's "fortunatley, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360.", and Kenichiro Yoshida's "On cross-platfrom, our way of thinking is always that PlayStation is the best place to play.", are both from the same vein. This is part of why I think Sony needs to be put in check.

Looking at Snap, I completely agree. I don't know how Mircosoft can drop it after it was one of the 1st and biggest things they promoted with Xbox One. If Sony got in class action trouble over removing Other OS, Microsoft should have to pay up for removing this much more promenent feature. Back before I had my XOX, I used my roommates XBO for almost 2 years. Snap was the one thing at the time, I really wished PS4 had, then Microsoft went and removed it.

So niether company is infallible. At this moment in time though, Microsoft has take  a huge lead in listening to gamers, and supporting their platform. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

If this means I do not have to see another one of your god awful "integration" posts on a Playstation thread, than I'm happy.

Sorry to disappoint, but I will still be poping into quarterly results threads, Firmware Threads, What do you want from PS5 threads, or Should Sony bring back handhelds/phones/etc. threads, to voice my opinion. I am still a PlayStation Owner, and a Sony stock holder. I still want them to break out and do what is needed to unite their products, and unify the company. I want Sony and SIEWWS around for the long run. As long as they continue to make money loosing and short sighted business decisions, I will be around to call them out.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

For the last 1 1/2 they have completely abandoned PS4. They have stopped supporting any of their services (outside of PlayStation Vue), PSN is down more and more every month, and the OS is getting worse and worse. What the hell are we paying for with PS+?

Microsoft on the other hand has completely revamped the XBO this year. The OS has made massive strides, and is now well ahead of the PS4 OS. They upgraded Edge on XBO, and it now functions almost 1 to 1 with PC (just needs Mouse Support). With that upgrade they brought the ability to download Files, Photos, Music, Videos, Zips, Rars, etc., and they are all accessable right on XBO via the File Explorer and through multiple apps on the Xbox Store.

Their Video store offers 4K HDR content, and just joined Video Anywhere. They are offering Cross Play, which I could care less about, but at least they are not hunkering down in their cave. XBO is gainging more productivity and quality of life apps and features every week. 

Then we have B/C, Xbox Play Anywhere, and Game Pass. Game Pass, for $10 a month gives access to all 1st party games with new releases available on day one. It is absolutely ridiculous value. 

PlayStation has been my main Computing and Entertainment device since 1998. I have bought played, watched, learned, ran business, and more through PlayStation. I have always bought all of my media, and 3rd party games through Sony, even when things were rough, because Sony always delivered new features, innovation, and continual improvement of the products I purchased. That has changed in the last few years. My Bravia's have incradible Picture Quality, but the OS is the worst I have ever used. PS Vita was dropped, and Xperia's are absolute garbage. Now PlayStation and PlayStation Services are going to trash.

For the first time in 20 years, I am changing my main platform. Microsoft has won me over after 17 years of hard work. They have become open, started listening to consumers, and partners. They are building a Platform, that can continually grow, and reach across the entire spectrum of electronics. They have a vision, and they have been open to the public with where they want to go. This is the company that I want to support. So starting this month my $450 a month entertainment budget is moving to Microsoft.

Perhapps Sony can win me back with PS5, but I am not betting on it. I have watched them piss away potential for to long. At this point I am see them closing themselves off, and killing PlayStation, just like they have every other successful product they have ever made. They will refuse to expand PlayStation's  feature set to offer standard functionallity in todays devices, and people will slowly but surely abandon ship.

Yes, the AAA single player games are great, but the rest is terrible. It will catch up to them.

So much is wrong in these claims its not even worth making an argument... have fun over there with barely any exclusive games with real quality, enjoy the pseudo 4K thinking its on par with a $1000 computer and has more exclusive dominance than nintendo and sony

ResilientFighter said: 

So much is wrong in these claims its not even worth making an argument... have fun over there with barely any exclusive games with real quality, enjoy the pseudo 4K thinking its on par with a $1000 computer and has more exclusive dominance than nintendo and sony

The bolded is blatently false. PC has some great strategy titles for sure, but Switch and/or PS4 blow it out of the water in terms of games library. This gen there's only 8 PC exclusives I'm really interested in, and that's if you count Civ 6 (coming to Switch), Cities Skylines (also coming to Switch), and Warhammer Total War (Obsolete now that Total War II is out.)

Then you have to deal with the fact that PC is infested with DRM. Steam, Uplay, Windows Store, and Origin are all DRM. Windows is nagware, as well as spyware. 

Finally, a $1000 PC will absolutely not get you 4K, unless you are buying shoddy parts, or cutting massive corners. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 16 September 2018

Mr.Playstation said:
KBG29 said:

I've literally experienced none of these :/. 

Me neither.  Can you explain how the OS is getting worse?  T