By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The N64 Controller's Tri-Handle Layout Revisited From a Modern Perspective

I agree, people complaining about needing three hands just haven’t played N64 because it wasn’t like that at all. If was one or the other depending on the game. The N64 controller was one of the best controllers there ever was, it was comfortable, had it’s buttons in the right place and I liked it better than the GameCube’s. Nowadays it would be difficult with just one stick though. I also actually like Wii’s set-up. In fact, it basically feels a bit like the N64 did in the way you usually hold it and the button placement is comparable, I mean look at how you hold your hands with the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo and then look at how you hold an N64 controller. Except N64 was obviously attached to each other.

I also agree on the PlayStation controller basic design being terrible. I do not buy PS consoles for their controller, and it’s been that way since the start. Characters always control slippery, you make stupid jumping mistakes because of it, buttons feel ‘mushy’ and the left stick being in the lower position is just weird. But anyway. Games are good so yeah.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 13 September 2018

Around the Network

Nah, it was one of the worst controller designs ever. Not in comfort, as it was definitely comfortable to hold. But, for actual gaming, it was pathetic. Games had to limit what you could do, because you couldn't reach all of the buttons without switching grip, which is the first sign something has gone wrong. I mean not being able to strafe with L and R, while using the analog and Z buttons, and having quick access to the Dpad to switch weapons, was poor design.

There's a reason Nintendo, and pretty much everyone, switched over to a design more like the Dual Shock.  Which is why I think it's funny when people complain about the DS.  Usually using the poor excuse of symmetrical analog sticks.  Sorry to break it to you, but your hands are symmetrical, as well.  There is no dominant or secondary position on a controller.  Especially on something like the DS, where if you relax your hands and grip it, your thumbs usually rest in between the Dpad/Left analog stick and face buttons/Right analog stick.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 13 September 2018

Slownenberg said:
Loved the N64 controller. That z-trigger was perfect considering N64 brought shooters into the console market and they were a major genre for the system. And the N64 controller brought a lot of modern innovation that we take for granted now - the idea of trigger buttons which has morphed from the z-trigger to just triggers directly behind the shoulder buttons, also brought rumble feedback, and of course the analog stick. I don't think N64 controller would do well now though. Two analog sticks beats one, and being able to use d-pad or analog stick without having to switch between prongs is better, although usually either the d-pad or the analog stick needs to be position awkwardly to make this happen.

I think you may be thinking of the Sega 3D Pad and the DS.  Cause there is not a single thing from the N64 controller that we use today.  And that includes the tech used in their analog stick, which was prone to failure and was less accurate than the analog stick tech used in the aforementioned controllers.

thismeintiel said:

Nah, it was one of the worst controller designs ever. Not in comfort, as it was definitely comfortable to hold. But, for actual gaming, it was pathetic. Games had to limit what you could do, because you couldn't reach all of the buttons without switching grip, which is the first sign something has gone wrong. I mean not being able to strafe with L and R, while using the analog and Z buttons, and having quick access to the Dpad to switch weapons, was poor design.

There's a reason Nintendo, and pretty much everyone, switched over to a design more like the Dual Shock.  Which is why I think it's funny when people complain about the DS.  Usually using the poor excuse of symmetrical analog sticks.  Sorry to break it to you, but your hands are symmetrical, as well.  There is no dominant or secondary position on a controller.  Especially on something like the DS, where if you relax your hands and grip it, your thumbs usually rest in between the Dpad/Left analog stick and face buttons/Right analog stick.

My hands being symmetrical is exactly why you’d want a controller to be assymmetrical. I want my left thumb on a movement stick and my right thumb on action buttons when having my hands in their most neutral and natural positions because I’m mostly going to need those button types simultaneously. Now, on a Dual Shock, I am holding my thumbs in an asymetrical way because my left thumb is down while my right is up. And that’s even ignoring the fact that holding my left thumb down all the time, because I mostly don’t need to move it away from the movement stick, is unnatural. Hold your hand in a resting position; your thumb points up. Even having both sticks in the upper position, while still bad, would’ve been better.

S.Peelman said:
thismeintiel said:

My hands being symmetrical is exactly why you’d want a controller to be assymmetrical. I want my left thumb on a movement stick and my right thumb on action buttons when having my hands in their most neutral and natural positions because I’m mostly going to need those button types simultaneously. Now, on a Dual Shock, I am holding my thumbs in an asymetrical way because my left thumb is down while my right is up. And that’s even ignoring the fact that holding my left thumb down all the time, because I mostly don’t need to move it away from the movement stick, is unnatural. Hold your hand in a resting position; your thumb points up. Even having both sticks in the upper position, while still bad, would’ve been better.

Still doesn't make sense.  I mean I have heard people bitch about this with FPS, which 90% of the time your hands are on both analog sticks.  For 2D games I prefer the Dpad where it is, as I always preferred using the Dpad for those types of games.   And to act like it's a big deal to have your hands on one analog and the face button is ridiculous.  They are built in a way that it is perfectly comfortable to do so.  It's not like you are stretching your hands out of whack to do it. The grips are angled, so when you hold it relaxed, your thumbs should rest between the thumb stick and Dpad/buttons.  You barely have to move your thumb either way to actually reach them.

Personally, I have always found the DS to be the most comfortable controller, and the best one to game with, which has only gotten better with the DS4.  There is a reason it's the best selling controller of all time.

Around the Network

BTW, this is a MUCH better design.

thismeintiel said:
S.Peelman said:

Still doesn't make sense.  I mean I have heard people bitch about this with FPS, which 90% of the time your hands are on both analog sticks.  For 2D games I prefer the Dpad where it is, as I always preferred using the Dpad for those types of games.   And to act like it's a big deal to have your hands on one analog and the face button is ridiculous.  They are built in a way that it is perfectly comfortable to do so.  It's not like you are stretching your hands out of whack to do it. The grips are angled, so when you hold it relaxed, your thumbs should rest between the thumb stick and Dpad/buttons.  You barely have to move your thumb either way to actually reach them.

Personally, I have always found the DS to be the most comfortable controller, and the best one to game with, which has only gotten better with the DS4.  There is a reason it's the best selling controller of all time.

Fair enough, personally I hardly play shooters on consoles, there you’d indeed be using both sticks mostly. And yes the D-pad for 2D games is in the right place, too bad both can’t be in the same place.

Before Switch released I had an idea of how to ‘swap’ positions of buttons as needed. Maybe I should patent it lol.

S.Peelman said:
thismeintiel said:

Fair enough, personally I hardly play shooters on consoles, there you’d indeed be using both sticks mostly. And yes the D-pad for 2D games is in the right place, too bad both can’t be in the same place.

Before Switch released I had an idea of how to ‘swap’ positions of buttons as needed. Maybe I should patent it lol.

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn someone came out with a controller that had them swappable.  Maybe a PC or Xbox controller?

Chicho said:

The Dreamcast was said to be a 128-bit console.not for long tho as people didn't care about bits anymore by that time. That was the last time we heard "bits" when discussing new video game consoles

It had a 32bit CPU and a 32-bit GPU. - It was a 32-bit console.
The Original Xbox was a 32-bit console as well.

Ganoncrotch said:

But in honesty yeah, the way I play I hold my hand around the edges of the pad, the NES has pointed edges and my hands don't have square gaps for that to slot into, the SNES pad was like heaven after the NES's non ergonomic pad for me.

The SNES controller is just one of those controllers that have stood the test of time, it's functional, simple and comfortable.

thismeintiel said:

I think weight was a big issue for me... Especially once you started throwing in all the addons onto the bottom of the controller.

Otherwise, I thought the controller was pretty decent... Not as good as what Dual Analogue sticks could offer, but it was still good for the era.

thismeintiel said:

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn someone came out with a controller that had them swappable.  Maybe a PC or Xbox controller?

There were Xbox 360 controllers where you could twist the D-Pad to give it height.

But the Xbox One Elite controller is the one you are thinking of.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I’ve been playing with the DualShock since PS2 launched, so I can’t even remember how I used to hold the N64 controller. The more I look at it, the more I wonder lol

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon