By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - After Marvels Spiderman. Where do Marvel games go from here?

I imagine Spidey will stick to Sony. Other properties will almost certainly be multiplatform for at least the PS4/XB1 but might also get some Switch love there as well.

Around the Network

Whatever SE is making, and i don't think it's going to be Single Player focused.

I'm expecting more of a Live Service game

John2290 said:
Megiddo said:
I imagine Spidey will stick to Sony. Other properties will almost certainly be multiplatform for at least the PS4/XB1 but might also get some Switch love there as well.

I very much doubt it. This will head to PC and Xbox just like Nier Automata, Hellblade etc. MS won't need to buy any companies either, Insomniac isn't bound and I'm sure Marvel and Disney had the foresight not to get tied up in an extended contract. Even if they did, Sony would let them loose out of good will as they've already gotten all they can benifet from this. 

What? This is a 2nd party game, not a third party game. Have R and C, and Resistance games gone to other platforms? 

I mean, Sony didn't publish those games. They were third party.

Sony published Spider-man. It's sticking to PS4 as much as I'd love to play it on my PC.

John2290 said:
Megiddo said:

I very much doubt it. This will head to PC and Xbox just like Nier Automata, Hellblade etc. MS won't need to buy any companies either, Insomniac isn't bound and I'm sure Marvel and Disney had the foresight not to get tied up in an extended contract. Even if they did, Sony would let them loose out of good will as they've already gotten all they can benifet from this. 

https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/04/04/spider-man-on-xbox-one-never-insomniac/

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Easy. Spiderman 2 developed by Insomniac. Published by Sony and released on the ps5 in 2021 or 2022.

Other options are to get Sony to publish either xmen, incredibke hulk, or iron man. I believe sucker punch would be the best candidate. Ps5 title ideally.

John2290 said:
Megiddo said:

Spiderman is a Sony owned game. Like any first party title. It’s not going anywhere Sony doesn’t want it to go. 

Where do Marvel games go from here? Hopefully away for good...... but I know that won't happen.

The fewer great studios working on licensed material the better so I hope Insomniac get back to either working on more entries in their established IP's or back to developing a new IP instead of easy money licensed game development. I don't mind studios been set up for the sole purpose of working on licensed material but taking away great creative studios from developing new IP's hurts.

I'd rather see other studios taking a hand at making other Marvel games, rather than the wet dream of a few fans here in wanting them held exclusively to just a Sony console. I'd rather have more Marvel heroes/games be available for those who wish to buy them on their proffered platforms, rather than locked to a single one.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Megiddo said:

I have the same feeling, mainly given that I'm guessing it was a sweetner when Marvel got Sony to put Spiderman in the MCU.

With others I'd say they'd also license them out. Marvel doesn't have much of a presence or track record with video game development, most recent entries were through Telltale or Travallers Tales. Plus Disney withdrew from the industry and licenses its franchises, hence why you have the current situation with Star Wars.

There may be a trickle of games of licensed games that gradually turn into a steady stream, especially to capitalise on the MCU - Iron Man, Captain America and Black Panther games could probably do very well if handled right. Thor could be good aswell but could end up being too similar to God of War 4. However, I'm not counting on an MGU anytime soon. That would probably get too confusing anyway.