By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - After Marvels Spiderman. Where do Marvel games go from here?

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Nothing will change, except that we will get a sequel or two from Insomniac. The endgame heavily hints at a sequel in the works. Insomniac does sequels to most of their IPs.

Oh, and roflol at people thinking Spider-Man will ever come to another platform. Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man. Go port-beg somewhere else!

Damn man. Harsh. There are Marvel fans legitimately upset about this. I'd blow a nut if I had to shell out for a console for one game this late in a gen and I bought a 360 for Alan wake, that was painful four years in. Poor bastards will have to either buy a Ps4, hope the ps5 is backward compatibile or not play the game. 

A used PS4 is $100 though. And I can list at least 5 absolute must have exclusives. 10 if you only own an XB1, and not a capable PC. 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

A used PS4 is $100 though. And I can list at least 5 absolute must have exclusives. 10 if you only own an XB1, and not a capable PC. 

Yeah, it's a no brainer but not every Marvel fan has disposable income of their own. ;)

lol, Kids need to learn to get jobs. Adults need to learn how to balance bills. If somebody can't afford $100 for a console, then they have bigger problems than games. I doubt they can afford all the games they want on whatever platform they already own. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 10 September 2018

John2290 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Forget Marvel. Get Insomniac to do a Superman game.

I've been saying Avalanche or Sucker punch should do a spiderman game for ages now, never woulda guessed it'd be Insomniac. Maybe there is a studio out there, that's not so obvious who'd kill at a superman game cause Insomniac is busy for the next few years... I hope. 

I still think Rocksteady is working on that Superman game. Its obvious but it makes sense.

NobleTeam360 said:
Doesn't Sony own the Spiderman IP? It's not coming to xbox, other marvel games sure; not spiderman though.

Edit: apparently Sony, Marvel, and Disney all have some sort of stake in the Spiderman property.

sony owns the movie rights nothing more. comics, cartoons,merchandising etc are all owned Marvel

Hiku said:
John2290 said:

Yeah, I was led to believe this was in the same line, I wasn't following this game til the reviews hit and had little interest until I took a chance on it. I didn't know it was confirmed as full exclusive until someone linked above. Sucks for PC gamers and xbox players but at least Sony gets another exclusive, big hitter and as a ps4 gamer, I can't complain. People will just have to suck it up, stop crying on stream chats and forums and buy a ps4. 

As we recently found out, Marvel reached out to Sony for this. They could have just dealt with Insomniac directly, but they probably wanted Sony to help promote this game. Marvel specifically asked that Sony contract this to Insomniac. But the most surprising thing to me was that they let Insomniac chose any Marvel character they wanted. I think they made the right choice with Spidey.

I can see Marvel doing this again with Sony as this one seems to have turned out really well. But they’ll probably have other multi plat games as well, or even make the same kind of deal with Microsoft or Nintendo.

Why would anyone give their property to MS? They've been running their own IPs into the ground for a decade now. Halo and Gears are mere shells of their former selves, Fable is dead. Forza is literally the only franchise that is still doing well for them. 

I imagine Marvel went to Sony because Sony is the most award winning publisher of the last decade, and has more critically successful/accalimed titles than any other publisher, and has had at least one GOTY contender almost every year. No other publisher in the industry comes close to Sony atm. And it seems Marvel made the right choice as Sony gave managed to delver yet another critically successful blockbuster.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Nothing will change, except that we will get a sequel or two from Insomniac. The endgame heavily hints at a sequel in the works. Insomniac does sequels to most of their IPs.

Oh, and roflol at people thinking Spider-Man will ever come to another platform. Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man. Go port-beg somewhere else!

wrong sony only owns the film rights nothing else. Sony sold the merch rights back to Disney in 2011

From what I've seen, Insomniac wants to remain as a game developer and not become a game publisher. That's the reason they went to Microsoft with Sunset Overdrive and EA with Overstrike (Fuse). If Marvel wants high profile releases like Spider-Man then they're definitely going to enlist the help of an experienced publisher to put it all together. A top level IP isn't something you self-publish and throw up on digital like an indie game.

So, yeah, I think you can count on future Marvel games being signed to one of the major publishing houses. Unless Disney wants to get back into the video game business, they'll need a publisher.

They just need to make it clear that they want high quality work that they can build upon. Shoddy cash grabs shouldn't be acceptable when you're talking about billion dollar IP. They've got to do their research and not simply trust the promises of an EA or Activision. It looks like they did just that this time around, as they specifically mentioned Insomniac.

I really, really like the approach of letting studios pitch ideas based on their choices. That puts the ideal of a quality game above all else. One of the worst things about movie tie-in titles in the past is that it was clear the studios couldn't really think of anything good or unique, they were just meeting their obligation.

Now, if I were running a studio, I'd pitch a story built around some of the more out-there adventures of the X-Men. Fighting the Brood in space, maybe, or jumping through dimensions with Magik. Then again, the X-Men license is probably a complete mess, so who knows if that's even possible.

WoodenPints said:
Where do Marvel games go from here? Hopefully away for good...... but I know that won't happen.

The fewer great studios working on licensed material the better so I hope Insomniac get back to either working on more entries in their established IP's or back to developing a new IP instead of easy money licensed game development. I don't mind studios been set up for the sole purpose of working on licensed material but taking away great creative studios from developing new IP's hurts.

Yeah except Insomniac has proven themselves so there is less risk of failure. And then you look at Rare who are perminantly in murky waters with Sea of Crap. 

Baddman said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

wrong sony only owns the film rights nothing else. Sony sold the merch rights back to Disney in 2011

My bad. Sony published the game, and thus owns the publishing rights to the game. In the end though, it just means that the game will never come to a non-Sony platform. Same relationship that Ratchet and Clank had. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Baddman said:

My bad. Sony published the game, and thus owns the publishing rights to the game. In the end though, it just means that the game will never come to a non-Sony platform. Same relationship that Ratchet and Clank had. 

Ratchet and Clank is a first-party IP.  It belongs entirely to Sony.

Marvel's deal for Spider-Man probably goes through Sony, meaning it's a Sony game, and then Sony contracted Insomniac to work on it.  That means it goes a lot deeper than simple publishing rights, which can expire.