By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - OK, so what is a "feminist game"?

From what I'm hearing, Last of Us 2.

Around the Network

Feminist games are games with a deliberate agenda to 'better' represent women. Some are good, but the agenda is insidious and toxic. Feminism was needed 30 years ago, today with equal rights achieved, it's simply evolving in to a tool of subtle male oppression. Not on purpose, but with that effect in the education and prison system among many others.

GameOverture said:
Megiddo said:
Portal is feminist game? In what respect? Is Glados supposed to be representative of the patriarchal society? That's bizarre.

Well, Portal 1 has an entirely female cast (even if it's just two characters) and in Portal 2 Glados and Chell team up against Wheatley. Portal is also apparently directd by a woman (something I didn't know until today). If feminist media stands for representation of women, then it seems Portal is a feminist game 

That's not what I understand feminism to be though. I would think the recent Star Wars sequels where female characters are shown to be wholly superior to the male characters in practically every way would be more the kind of feminism OP is asking about. To which I would say that Horizon Zero Dawn is actually a pretty good case. Since other than the father figure, pretty much every male character in that game is either completely incompetent or fully dependent on Aloy or both. That's the sort of "women power, rah rah rah" feel that I understand feminism to be all about.

Feminist games are games that make me uncomfortable because they threaten my masculinity and try to make me believe that women can be strong and independent without needing the help of a man. I avoid buying them because I don't want to get brainwashed by evil SJW companies.

I second Megiddo. I see no way in which Portal is feminist. It has a female protagonist, sure, but you could easily switch it out for a male and it would make 0 difference.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
GameOverture said:

Well, Portal 1 has an entirely female cast (even if it's just two characters) and in Portal 2 Glados and Chell team up against Wheatley. Portal is also apparently directd by a woman (something I didn't know until today). If feminist media stands for representation of women, then it seems Portal is a feminist game 

That's not what I understand feminism to be though. I would think the recent Star Wars sequels where female characters are shown to be wholly superior to the male characters in practically every way would be more the kind of feminism OP is asking about. To which I would say that Horizon Zero Dawn is actually a pretty good case. Since other than the father figure, pretty much every male character in that game is either completely incompetent or fully dependent on Aloy or both. That's the sort of "women power, rah rah rah" feel that I understand feminism to be all about.

I'm no expert, but feminism has many branches and I'm pretty sure some of them would consider Portal to be, if not a overtly feminist game, at least a "feminist-friendly" one. Portal 1 is probably one of the few games that would pass the Bechdel test (maybe not since Chell is silent, but I'd argue the test probably needs to be adapted a little in order to make sense for videogames)

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

Megiddo said:
Jaicee said:

In some ways, yes. Also, I think it may be worth pointing out the Portal story doesn't conclude on a note of enmity between Chell and Gladdos.

I mean, in some ways, how? I can't think of a single time in the Portal games where the protagonist being a woman had any sort of effect on the story.  If all that's needed for feminism is a female protagonist then I guess I could see your point. I would think there'd have to be some sort of substance behind it though.  I'd say there's a heck of a lot of enmity at the end of Portal 2. The ending theme is literally "Want You Gone".

Part of what makes Portal a feminist game is that patriarchy tropes are not overly present...

In any work of fiction (video games, literature, music, etc), so many of the struggles women face are dominated by their fathers (overcoming daddy issues), boyfriends and husbands (domestic abuse/rape, emotional fleet), and children (motherhood, miscarriages, etc.)...

These things are often utilized to drive a plot forward without being delved into in any particularly meaningful way (for example, a woman might get raped but then there's no exploration of the trauma she lives with for years afterwards)...

While story tellers can tell incredible stories about these topics, some feminists feel like most story tellers perpetuate the notion that women are only interesting (or worthy of having their stories told) when they are doing something in reaction to a man or are raising children...

Chellnisnt any of those things...

Have a nice day...

Gotcha, so there not being any men present makes it a feminist game. Appreciate the insight.

I honestly can't think of many video games where a female protagonist is dominated by their struggle with their father/husband/children.  I would think the more tropey thing to do would be that women only exist to get rescued by the male protagonist, like Zelda or the various Mario princesses as that's something that seems far more common to me.

Now I'm wondering if the various Japanese "yuri" erotic games would be considered feminist because they do not have any men present.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 10 September 2018

Megiddo said:

Gotcha, so there not being any men present makes it a feminist game. Appreciate the insight.

I honestly can't think of many video games where a female protagonist is dominated by their struggle with their father/husband/children.  I would think the more tropey thing to do would be that women only exist to get rescued by the male protagonist, like Zelda or the various Mario princesses as that's something that seems far more common to me.

Now I'm wondering if the various Japanese "yuri" erotic games would be considered feminist because they do not have any men present.

It's not that men are not present, it's that they are not there to create a dynamic where the focus is on the woman's sexuality or fertility...

The damsel in distress is most certainly THE trope of all tropes; I bring up the other tropes not because thy are super prevalent in video games, but because you will commonly see them in books, movies, and TV...

A good feminist character who interacts with men would be Bayonetta...

Yes, she's extremely sexual, and male gamers may find it appealing, but she is in control of her sexuality; she is not sexual in order to get gratification or validation from men, she's constantly "feeling her oats" as a drag queen would say...

She loves her body and her sexuality but it's not central to the story or driving the story forward in a manner that makes the plot unrelatable; basically, she's more than her sexuality...

Have a nice day...

RolStoppable said:
Flilix said:

Feminist games are games that make me uncomfortable because they threaten my masculinity and try to make me believe that women can be strong and independent without needing the help of a man. I avoid buying them because I don't want to get brainwashed by evil SJW companies.

Whoa there, youngster. Don't do this without supplemental material. Here, the VGC community has got your back:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=117163

Thanks Rol!

RolStoppable said:

Obedience breeds discipline. Discipline breeds unity. Unity breeds power. Power is men.

Yes! Femalists won't take away our hobby! We are power!