By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA censors "white man" and "DLC" in Battlefield V

Tulipanzo said:
So, EA's profanity algorithm isn't working, they've already apologized and y'all think they have a secret agenda to destroy all men.
The fragility of people in these threads astounds me

It’s only “not working” because of the backlash. I mean, you don’t accidentally add that combination of words to the list of terms that need to be censored.

Around the Network

Did anyone try to write any other racial labels like black man, white woman etc?

I'm crying at people talking about the an Agenda. What exactly do you think there agenda is for censoring the term "white man", think of how this term is actually used in context... they're likely just trying to remove inflammatory language like people insulting each other by race etc. There's your SJW agenda.

Every time i come to this site I feel like most y'all are just regressing further and further into giant snowflakes who want cry SJW at everything. Glad the entertainment industries is progressing and paying you no mind.

It's alright I guess? Most instances where this phrase will be used is in a racial slur against white people.

Meanwhile Rocket League is censoring words like "Bill" and "Willy" in chat.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

pokoko said:
“Hello Battlefield V Open Beta players!

We’re really excited to have you join us for the Battlefield V Open Beta, and we hope you’re enjoying the Beta and the new features.
One of the new features we’re working on is a profanity filter in-game to reduce toxicity.

That being said, we have heard some complaints that the filter is blocking words that aren’t profanity or shouldn’t be blocked, like “DLC”, etc. and isn’t blocking some words that should be (obviously, I will not be providing examples of these.)

Please note: This is a work-in-progress and we will be taking this feedback to tweak the sensitivity of the filter and improve its usage without censoring relevant conversation.
Healthy discussion is what drives improvement in our games, and we’d never want to impede that.

Thanks for bringing your concerns to us regarding the current iteration of the profanity filter and we’ll keep working on it.

The Teams at EA/DICE”

https://cogconnected.com/2018/09/battlefield-v-betas-censor-isnt-working-properly-censors-white-man/

Tulipanzo said:
So, EA's profanity algorithm isn't working, they've already apologized and y'all think they have a secret agenda to destroy all men.

And you must've believed them when they gave their bullshit "pride and accomplishment" spiel when they tried to justify locking Luke and Darth Vader behind exorbitant grindwalls in SWBFII, too.

The fact that "DLC" is censored while "free DLC" isn't and "white man" is censored while "black man" or "Asian man" isn't given EA's track record on DLC and prior statements involving this game sounds waaaaaaaay too much of a coincidence. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one, there's no way typing "free DLC" wouldn't translate to "free ***" onscreen when "DLC" is censored unless they specifically programmed it not to, just like a black guy calling somebody a "white n***a" (without the asterisks) in the chat wouldn't break the censors just because they put "white" in front of it.

vivster said:

It's alright I guess? Most instances where this phrase will be used is in a racial slur against white people.

Then censor actual racial slurs against white people like, I don't know, cracker (the white equivalent of the 'N' word), honky, etc. Don't fucking "bleep" out "white man" like it's a derogatory term, that sounds like something Kotaku or Anita would do if they were in charge.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 10 September 2018

KManX89 said:

vivster said:

Then censor actual racial slurs against white people like, I don't know, cracker (the white equivalent of the 'N' word), honky, etc. Don't fucking "bleep" out "white man" like it's a derogatory term.

Automatic censoring in text is generally useless anyway, so if you do it, might as well cover as wide as possible. That censoring doesn't really hurt anyone. Do you feel oppressed or hurt that your "white men" is replaced by little stars? It's just your usual overreaction to political correctness which exists in everything nowadays. There is not a clear line of what might be considered offensive or not, so there isn't really an argument of going too far or not going far enough, it's subjective.

I'd rather have no censoring at all, yet most people censor themselves. And who could blame them. Nowadays just writing out the word "nigger" or "shit" or "fuck" can get you in trouble, which is just asinine. If we want to fight against censoring of mildly offensive terms we should start protesting censoring of highly offensive words. It's all about context and used in context both "cracker" and "white man" can be equally offensive, just as "nigger" and "black man".

tldr; there isn't really such a thing as "actual slurs", words are as offensive as people want them to be.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

This is turning into a bigger cluster**** than Battlefront. And censoring 'white man' while not censoring other men (or censoring something like that at all) is pretty damn racist. There's no way this is an 'accident', that's impossible. The combination of 'free DLC' being visible but 'DLC' by itself isn't is also laughable. I hope this game gets negative sales.

KManX89 said:
Tulipanzo said:

And you must've believed them when they gave their bullshit "pride and accomplishment" spiel when they tried to justify locking Luke and Darth Vader behind exorbitant grindwalls in SWBFII, too.

The fact that "DLC" is censored while "free DLC" isn't and "white man" is censored while "black man" or "Asian man" isn't given EA's track record on DLC and prior statements involving this game sounds waaaaaaaay too much of a coincidence. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one, there's no way typing "free DLC" wouldn't translate to "free ***" onscreen when "DLC" is censored unless they specifically programmed it not to.

What exactly is the comparison here? 
Micro-transactions make them money, of course they'd defend it because they DON'T want to change it.
Here is something that doesn't really affect them, which they apologized for and said they DO want to change.

When an algorithm mixes with some unknown human intervention you never know what's going to come out.
You are dealing with tons of data, so you try to come up with a system that is capable of learning which words are used in a negative/bannable context and which words are in the clear. Often, these systems fuck up, depending on how you train them, especially when you're mixing them together.

Example:
My "bad words" algorithm picks repeated word sequences from people that ended up banned, irregardless of why they were banned. DLC might have been used frequently for BF1
My "good words" algorithm whitelists all the keywords tagged on EA's official announcements, but is trained on BFV only. So "free DLC" gets a pass.
This is how you end up with weird mistakes, which hopefully you'll iron out in testing/beta etc.

Unless you're suggesting their plan was to hope nobody ever typed "white man" or "DLC", and if caught to apologize and undo it.
How fiendish and diabolical!

What's next, you won't be able to say "bad" and "EA" together? Every chat message is changed into "Buy Anthem"?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Could it be because many SJWs use "white man" as an insult though? I hate EA and all, but this could be them not wanting people to use that as an insult to many of their players..

S.Peelman said:

This is turning into a bigger cluster**** than Battlefront. And censoring 'white man' while not censoring other men (or censoring something like that at all) is pretty damn racist. There's no way this is an 'accident', that's impossible. The combination of 'free DLC' being visible but 'DLC' by itself isn't is also laughable. I hope this game gets negative sales.

Hell, if this was the case of "protecting people from offensive language", why focus on something as specific as people's race (specially in such an inoffensive way as "white man") instead of George Carlin's 7 Words You Can't Say on TV? You'd think shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits would have a bigger priority to cover than "white man". XD

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.