By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: Latest rumor shows casting for a white Ciri | Original: Netflix looking for non-white actress to play Ciri in the Witcher tv series

Faelco said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I tried to be civil but your ignorance is showing.

The first quote that I assumed people are using as a base for this dabate is false because the book never used those words. So I specifically gave direct quotes from two real sources. So you didn't know you can use complexion to discribe the appearence and perspective of things. I hope you learned something from this experience. 

Somebody, get this guy a chair.

So you're now trying to say that the quote means "she has a white perspective" or "she has a white appearance but not white skin"? 

2 other people taught you the obvious meaning of the word. Don't try to cover your mistake by now going in a dictionary to choose any secondary meaning with no relation to the sentence.

And you even dare to be condescending... No no, go ahead, it's so much better than to admit that you made a mistake. Keep digging! 

What, are you saying you wouldn't describe a person as having "fair hair, with ashen-white perspective and large impetuous green eyes"?!

Edit; Ciri's parents

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Emhyr_var_Emreis

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Pavetta

Not very likely that Ciri would somehow be dark-skinned or Asian looking.

Last edited by Mummelmann - on 09 September 2018

Around the Network
melbye said:
REDZONE said:

Hahaha,exactly.Gods of Egypt was all fine and dandy because "it's fiction so the cast can be anyone".As soon as whites are replaced in any movie,there's an out roar.It's fantasy Ciri could be blue for all I care.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/13/gods-of-egypt-posters-anger-whitewashed-cast-twitter-exodus

So let's not pretend there wasn't backlash against Gods of Egypt

Yeah,what a real backlash.

hmm..this is pretty strange, let's see what Netflix will say.

BoseDK said:
Spike0503 said:

I can only speak for myself but just as I think this Ciri situation is a bad decision, I thought that was a dumb idea as well. The main characters in that movie were mythological gods, most of which had been represented in Egyptian culture through animals or humans with animal heads, but if they were going to make them human then they should've looked like they belonged to Egypt. Which wasn't the case at all, obviously.

So don't generalize dude. Some of us call the BS as soon as we see it, no matter the color.

I wasn’t talking about God’s of Egypt specifically, I haven’t seen it.

white actors have been playing everyone since movies became a thing with no outrage I can remember.

was there a thread like this when Exodus had Christian bale playing Moses for instance? Did you voice your objection then?

I'm aware that it's something that has been happening for decades and I certainly don't support it.

Regarding Exodus, I honestly didn't watch it nor did I hear anything about the casting in its time but if it's guilty of the same BS as God of Egypt I would certainly object to that movie as well.

RolStoppable said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, I noticed most of them were praising this move by Netflix. Not surprising, Era is a giant alt-left circle jerk. I used to think Gaf was bad, Era has proven themselves to be much worse. I hear Gaf has gotten better since they all left. 

What's alt-left?

Identity-left? I dunno, but there has been a surge of different ideas from the left and a new presentation for old ones, just as with the right. Not sure I'd call it alt-left though, they're fairly open about their rather heavy left-ness (yay for words).

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

In case you were wondering, BAME stands for Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic in the UK.

Why do SJW's have to ruin everything with this forced diversity nonsense? There is literally no reason for Ciri to be anything other than White, she is the daughter of Emhyr var Emreis, who is shown to be white, and through her mother, Pavetta Fionna Elen, she is a 3rd generation descendant of Skellige blood, Skelligens being based on real life Scandinavians.

Why does there need to be a racially diverse main cast in everything, even in series where it doesn't make sense? Can't they just have a few side characters who are minorities? Why is that not good enough, when there are plenty of other series with diverse main casts?

It's like casting the Black Panther as a white dude.

Black Panther's parents are black, and from a country of black people? Oh, no no! You see his white parents just happened to have immigrated to Wakanda, and then became royalty! 

Ciri is supposed to be Scandinavian? Nope! She's black now! You see there was a 0.00000000000000001% chance of a black family migrating to Europe, being accepted by the locals, and becoming Nobles. But we're going to ask the audience to believe it!

Faelco said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I tried to be civil but your ignorance is showing.

The first quote that I assumed people are using as a base for this dabate is false because the book never used those words. So I specifically gave direct quotes from two real sources. So you didn't know you can use complexion to discribe the appearence and perspective of things. I hope you learned something from this experience. 

Somebody, get this guy a chair.

So you're now trying to say that the quote means "she has a white perspective" or "she has a white appearance but not white skin"? 

2 other people taught you the obvious meaning of the word. Don't try to cover your mistake by now going in a dictionary to choose any secondary meaning with no relation to the sentence.

And you even dare to be condescending... No no, go ahead, it's so much better than to admit that you made a mistake. Keep digging! 

This is just my perspective, but I always kind of assumed that "complexion" in literature was usually referred to like the physical health or condition of someone's skin? Like for instance, recently I didn't sleep for like 36 hours straight, and I had a white "complexion". I am white, but you can have a white complexion and be black, or at least that's what I thought.

Ironically, the definition is supposedly the natural skin color of someone specifically. From Google : "the natural color, texture, and appearance of a person's skin, especially of the face." But I have seen it used many times to describe a face as pale. 

RolStoppable said:
Mummelmann said:

Identity-left? I dunno, but there has been a surge of different ideas from the left and a new presentation for old ones, just as with the right. Not sure I'd call it alt-left though, they're fairly open about their rather heavy left-ness (yay for words).

Sounds like 'alt-left' is a sugarcoated way to identify left wing nutjobs. Just like nowadays stupid kids are supposed to be described as 'special' or some other term that doesn't signal that there is a problem, even though there is.

Who knows. I live in the land of the "pasty-white, green-haired crazy identity left" and "backslick, pompous, pretend-to not be fascist right", so I have a certain amount of dislike for extreme views, one or the other.

In this instance, I take no issue with the wish for diversity, but the fact that it appears to be diversity simply for its own sake and it completely collides with the setting and canon as the character in question has two very famous and important, and very white, parents.

Mummelmann said:
RolStoppable said:

Sounds like 'alt-left' is a sugarcoated way to identify left wing nutjobs. Just like nowadays stupid kids are supposed to be described as 'special' or some other term that doesn't signal that there is a problem, even though there is.

Who knows. I live in the land of the "pasty-white, green-haired crazy identity left" and "backslick, pompous, pretend-to not be fascist right", so I have a certain amount of dislike for extreme views, one or the other.

In this instance, I take no issue with the wish for diversity, but the fact that it appears to be diversity simply for its own sake and it completely collides with the setting and canon as the character in question has two very famous and important, and very white, parents.

What is your opinion on the idea that the purpose of this change could be to improve the readability of different factions? If every faction is depicted as Scandinavian looking white individuals, divisions between groups are more likely to get muddled for the viewer.

sundin13 said:
Mummelmann said:

What is your opinion on the idea that the purpose of this change could be to improve the readability of different factions? If every faction is depicted as Scandinavian looking white individuals, divisions between groups are more likely to get muddled for the viewer.

The Witcher books (and games) depict Elves and Dwarves as the oppressed and persecuted minorities of their world, and it's a really clear-cut class society with a large peasant class. The architecture and overall style of different nations are also quite varied. But, once again, the main issue with changing this particular characters appearance towards a different look is her lineage in the canon of this universe. Regardless of whether or not it's fictional, it's still a huge issue, and the writers would have to change an entire faction/empire and their looks and possibly culture to fit this narrative. It's just not manageable without losing the sense and weave of the entire world depicted. Look at Game of Thrones, all the major houses (and minor ones as well) in Westeros are mostly white folk with fairly similar build, but telling factions and cultures apart is very easy most of the time. It was simply never an issue.

The fact that writers feel that the only way to represent or diversify is to have minorities artificially supplant characters originally of a different ethnicity, says a lot about their skill and willingness to construct a diverse cast that makes sense in the context from the beginning.

PS: I actually refused/refuse to see Gods of Egypt due to the ridiculous casting decisions.