Forums - Movies Discussion - Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is Currently The Best Selling Blu-ray Of 2018 (USA)

Blade runner even being on this list is still pretty great compared to how it bombed.
TLJ was impressive visually but the plot was just pretty meh, nothing is happening in this new trilogy and there isn't much memorable. I wished Rey and Ben would just made a team and fight Luke. That would have been great but they went the boring route.

Also, don't get the hype around IT. Saw it, thought it was pretty lazy for the most profitable horror movie of all time. Still think The conjuring 1 is one of the best horror movie of this decade and IT isn't even top 5 imo.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
To be fair, looking at the numbers, it's amazing how much has physical media shrinked over the years, at least when it comes to films. Three of the top 10 don't even reach the million...

Yeah, it has shrunk alot. Finding Nemo apparently sold 28m on DVD between 2003-2004 and 41m copies lifetime. The top selling blu-ray of all time, Frozen, has only sold 7.5m so far. Physical media is dying even faster for movies than it is for games. 

Hiku said:
thismeintiel said:
Got to laugh at the cherry picking. Just like people like to use the strawman that people are saying TLJ was a flop. No one said that. It was a big disappointment. It made much less than it was projected to make, was beaten easily by a Marvel standalone film, and lead to a steep decrease in franchise sales, including the first ever SW flop, Solo.

I don't know why people insist on crediting Solo's fate to TLJ. Solo was a (almost entierly) pointless story. It was the first Star Wars film I didn't go to see in the cinemas, and it had 0 to do with TLJ.

Shame you didn't watch it, it is way better than TLJ and TFA, nearly as good as Rogue One. 

shikamaru317 said:
Hiku said:

I don't know why people insist on crediting Solo's fate to TLJ. Solo was a (almost entierly) pointless story. It was the first Star Wars film I didn't go to see in the cinemas, and it had 0 to do with TLJ.

Shame you didn't watch it, it is way better than TLJ and TFA, nearly as good as Rogue One. 

If the movie was called Kenobi, I would have bought a ticket.

As for Solo, I planned to watch it when it gets on Netflix, but I had no interest in going to the cinemas to see a story that to me sounded very uninteresting, and with very low stakes. (We know the MIllenium Falcon won't crash in the Kessler Run... Etc)
I ended up seeing it though, but let's just say it wasn't my idea to watch it, nor was it in the theatres. I thought it was okay. Qira's story in particular was interesting to me, and I'd like to see where that goes.
I didn't hate it like I did TLJ. But that's the thing about marketing. TLJ looked a lot more appealing than it was. And Solo looked a lot less interesting than it was.
If I knew what I know now, I would have traded my TLJ ticket for a Solo ticket.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 September 2018

Hiku said:
thismeintiel said:
Got to laugh at the cherry picking. Just like people like to use the strawman that people are saying TLJ was a flop. No one said that. It was a big disappointment. It made much less than it was projected to make, was beaten easily by a Marvel standalone film, and lead to a steep decrease in franchise sales, including the first ever SW flop, Solo.

It's pretty simple really. When thousands of fans say that TLJ killed the franchise for them, of course that's going to affect future entries into the franchise. Even with all the crap surrounding Solo, it should have easily broken even. Instead it flopped. A franchise first. 

Around the Network

Wow, Thor Ragnarok is really holding it's own ....

Blade Runner sales don't seem that bad to me.

Too worthless to live, too scared to die. 

thismeintiel said:
Hiku said:

It's pretty simple really. When thousands of fans say that TLJ killed the franchise for them, of course that's going to affect future entries into the franchise. Even with all the crap surrounding Solo, it should have easily broken even. Instead it flopped. A franchise first. 

Given the Blu Ray sales of TLJ (and it will keep selling), especially considering the discontent with TLJ seemed to grow drastically after people saw it, it doesn't seem to reflect what happened to Solo.
And if those people are capable of rational thought, they would know that one movie doesn't necessarily kill a franchise. The writers/directors, etc can. But they are always subject to change. 
Solo had a different writer and director. And Episode 9 will be written and directed by JJ Abrams, rather than Rian Johnsson.

I do not like this comparison because it's a story about Han Solo, that to me came off as incredibly uninteresting in trailers.
If something like this happened to the 9th, mainline, Star Wars film, then I'd give credence to that theory. Or if it happened to a Kenobi film, which I know everyone wanted to see. Then I'd think it was very strange that it flopped. For Solo I'm not surprised from my point of view because it's the first Star Wars film I didn't want to see in the cinemas.
I certainly think the discontent with TLJ affected Solo sales, but it was it's concept that caused the major damage, imo. If it was a film about Vader or Obi-Wan, I'm sure it would have done very well. But Disney seem intent on suffocating us with one Star Wars film per year now, so I'm definitely going to be selective of which ones I watch.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 September 2018

thismeintiel said:

Seems like the DVD sales will be no different. Last we heard, TLJ's home video sales are about half that of TFA. They state that the others are WAY behind, but not only is BP only 390K behind it, BP released to home video almost two months after TLJ did. Oh, and let's not wait til IW and JW2 numbers come in before we claim victory. In the end, TLJ probably won't even be in the Top 3 by the time the year is over. Pathetic for a main installment in the franchise.

Disney laughs in money

Interesting.

I didn't see Solo strictly because of TLJ.

But, seriously, I'm one guy so this means nothing. But I don't see me doing any more Star Warsing. Loved Luke, and they made him suck,so just don't really care anymore.

Hope everyone who liked it continues to enjoy, though.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS