By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NBA 2K19 is now Switch’s biggest game (memory that game takes)

The Switch eShop page for NBA 2K19 is live in a few regions, including Europe, Australia, and Japan. With it, we now have the game’s file size.

NBA 2K19 takes up a whopping 31.5GB of space. Additionally, the listing mentions needing 5GB of space within Switch’s internal memory.

NBA 2K19 is now the biggest game available on Switch. It’s larger than last year’s release, as NBA 2K18 was 23.5GB.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nba-2k19-file-size-and-system-memory-requirement-now-switchs-biggest-game/

So they clearly using Switch 32GB card, I wonder when we will see first Switch game that uses 64GB card.

Around the Network

If they're using a 32GB cart why have a download at all? 31.5GB would fit entirely on the cart.

Do third parties have some kind of jerk clause where they must always find a way to screw the consumer?

Why bother with this game? It would fill up an entire Switch's inner memory and still need more space to function. Is optimization such a big problem nowadays? BotW and Mario Odyssey need way less to function.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

curl-6 said:

If they're using a 32GB cart why have a download at all? 31.5GB would fit entirely on the cart.

Do third parties have some kind of jerk clause where they must always find a way to screw the consumer?

Because game is around 37GB, 31GB is on cart and you need to download additional 5GB.

It's not a bad thing overall, I guess visual effects will be better

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Because game is around 37GB, 31GB is on cart and you need to download additional 5GB.

Then why does the eshop page say 31.5GB instead of 37GB?

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Because thats size of image of game and totally makes sense in order to fit on 32GB cart, but there is additional download of around 5GB, that means that game takes around 37GB.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Because thats size of image of game and totally makes sense in order to fit on 32GB cart, but there is additional download of around 5GB, that means that game takes around 37GB.

So then why doesn't the eshop, which is where you buy digital games in their entirety, not on a cart, say 31.5GB if the digital version is 37GB?

Is it usual for the eshop to give inaccurate listings?

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

So then why doesn't the eshop, which is where you buy digital games in their entirety, not on a cart, say 31.5GB if the digital version is 37GB?

think there is a misunderstanding here, the 5GB required on the internal storage is the save file required for the game. It's not uncommon for some games to have large files, I'm guessing the roster / stats / teams etc are all saved in this 5GB it's not an extra download but it is required to have the 5GB on the internal storage as that's the only place where game saves can be stored.

Minecraft was the largest save file I had to date, it comes in at 2GB per user save data, so if you play 4 player local on a Switch you'll need 4 accounts... and 8GB of storage space just for the items and inventory of the other players to join your worlds on the system.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Don't know, maybe they don't count additional download, hopefully we will have more accurate informations later.