By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming burnout.

The period from 2009 to 2013 was spotty for me, as I had an addiction that I did not yet have under control, and it resulted in me missing out on a lot of good games. I still wonder where all that time went.

In recent years, however, I've been a bigger gamer than I ever was before. Later tonight I'm going to pick up a copy of Dragon Quest at midnight. The 24-hour store near me only has 3 copies, so I'm not confident I'll manage to get one yet, but I don't see why not. I can always resort to digital if worst comes to worst.

But that whole "a true gamer never grows out of it" thing is quite disrespectful. Many of us may outgrow gaming at one point in our life; no one can be certain what their hobbies will be when they are much older.

Around the Network

It's actually been a while since i actually felt burnt out on gaming. There has been periods were i didn't feel like playing games but i didn't feel burnt out

RaptorChrist said:
The period from 2009 to 2013 was spotty for me, as I had an addiction that I did not yet have under control, and it resulted in me missing out on a lot of good games. I still wonder where all that time went.

In recent years, however, I've been a bigger gamer than I ever was before. Later tonight I'm going to pick up a copy of Dragon Quest at midnight. The 24-hour store near me only has 3 copies, so I'm not confident I'll manage to get one yet, but I don't see why not. I can always resort to digital if worst comes to worst.

But that whole "a true gamer never grows out of it" thing is quite disrespectful. Many of us may outgrow gaming at one point in our life; no one can be certain what their hobbies will be when they are much older.

So long as someone has hobbies. Most people just become workaholics once they reach their 30's or late 20's. 

I go through burn out regularly. I think it's just natural, if one spends a significant part of their life doing any activity, they'll have to pull back from time to time. I don't ever really do anything in particular to work through the cycles. I just let them happen on their own. Generally speaking, when a new game comes out that grabs me, I'll be back into gaming hardcore for a while. Then if I run into two or three in a row don't really get me, I'll enter one of those burnout periods.

I've gotten burned on specific games, but never gaming as a whole. MMO's and free to play games put psychology tricks in them to make you keep playing even though you aren't having fun anymore. I've been burned out on those types of games before. I suspect that trophies can do the same, which is why I ignore them.

Before the Switch was released it was hard to find games that I liked in the modern era. I went back to classic consoles and gog.com instead, even looking for new games. Sometimes they stop making the genre of game that you really want to play.

Around the Network

Play multiplayer games with friends.

I really only play games during the summer. I’m a teacher, so when I go back to work I literally don’t have time for them. I can understand getting too busy for games. I generally only play them when I have time to burn. As an adult, that doesn’t happen often... I also find I don’t have interest in them when I am busy either...

For me, there’s games that I know I’ll be buying day 1 and enjoying, but I definitely have felt my own version of this as of late... I recently bought both ACO and Nier: Automata, and I can barely bring myself to turn them on and play them, even when I have the free time. It’s like gaming has sort become a chore for me. I just don’t feel nearly as excited about it as I used to.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

I've been gaming since Genesis. This happened to me around the original Xbox era. But lasted only a half a year or so. I'm now 34. Feel like I'm 24 but gaming has most certainly lost it's luster for me. One of my biggest gripes is the idea of graphics and frame rates being such a topic of discussion now more than ever. I'm not against enhancing visuals but to me those things don't matter. I don't know? I feel young at heart which makes it all the more confusing.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Anytime I get burnout I switch it up. If I'm burnt out from online gaming I'll start a few single player games. Then when I'm finished I enjoy online gaming again.