By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming burnout.

Now I don't know if anyone has experienced this as of late, but I just can't find myself being consistently interesting in gaming for the past year or so. I do play some Halo and some PC games here and there, but I've probably cut out most gaming from my life. I've also found myself far less active on this forum as well (with the exception of E3), and I just don't know. I've loved gaming all my life; but am I finally getting to the point were I am growing out of it, or is it simply just temporary and will pass in time? Has anyone else experienced this happen, and just idk. I would never move on from this forum, but maybe I've finally gotten sick and tired of playing video games (I wouldn't have believed it even 2 years ago)?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

A true gamer does not "grow out of it". It always comes back one way or another.

However a burnout is very possible, and I have been there. Right before I began my "Zelda pilgrimage" to beat all of the games in the canon timeline leading up to Breath of the Wild I found myself in your very shoes. It became almost a chore to play at times, and I just was not enjoying myself as I did before. However as time passed, and I finally got to play BotW, my interest came back full Swing. Now I have a desire to play more games than I have time for.

Another time is when I wrote reviews for lensoftruth.com before it shut down. I found myself rushing through to get a review out as soon as possible. I was not enjoying myself and slowed down considerably until I got my hands on Witcher 2 on the 360 and The Last of Us came out on PS3. Once again, the pace picked back up.

Even in the PS2 days, I found myself lacking the desire to play at one point. I stopped gaming altogether for a year that time, but when I found myself with some free time and a copy of Dragon Quest 8, my passion came back.

People go through cycles, it is inevitable. But if you truly enjoy gaming, your passion will come back. The timing may differ from person to person, but you are not alone. Take some time off to reflect or maybe focus on a single IP just for when you get an itch (like I did with Zelda), and in time you will find yourself gaming just as much and passionately as you ever did.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It has definitely happened to me to an extent. I keep track of how many games I beat every year and I've barely beaten any new games this year. The biggest recommendation I can give you is to go back to your old classics. The stuff you grew up on and made you love gaming. That has helped me a lot.

Spike0503 said:
It has definitely happened to me to an extent. I keep track of how many games I beat every year and I've barely beaten any new games this year. The biggest recommendation I can give you is to go back to your old classics. The stuff you grew up on and made you love gaming. That has helped me a lot.

That might be why focusing on Zelda in my most recent case helped out.  With a clear goal, a single IP to focus on, and a good amout of time focusing on no other games, the pressure to finish one game to get to the next was gone.  Backlogs no longer existed and I was gaming for pure enjoyment again.  Perhaps we just need to be reminded from time to time why we game in the first place, before jumping back into the pool that is mainstream gaming.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

That might be why focusing on Zelda in my most recent case helped out.  With a clear goal, a single IP to focus on, and a good amout of time focusing on no other games, the pressure to finish one game to get to the next was gone.  Backlogs no longer existed and I was gaming for pure enjoyment again.  Perhaps we just need to be reminded from time to time why we game in the first place, before jumping back into the pool that is mainstream gaming.

Good points all around!.

Around the Network

Happens to me every couple of years. Then i come to my senses again.

I was burnt out from console gaming during the 7th gen, but it turns out that generation just sucked aside from a few gems. I mainly played PC games during that time. Now I am fairly burnt out from PC games due to evolutions happening that I don't want in many of my former favorite PC games. So I am back to console gaming in 8th gen and it is quite fun.

Happened to me after playing GTA V extensively in 2013. Went to the point where I didn't even grab a next gen console until 2016. In the span of 2014-2015 I think I bought and played Far Cry 4 and Rise of The Tomb Raider.

2016 was the year I finally recovered. 

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 03 September 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I'm actually with you at the moment. I have not done much gaming this year, but I still look forward to playing some games. Like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 will easily get my attention.

But for the most part I just dabble in games here and there. But I also work full time, I have other hobbies, got other reaponibilities that consume my time. I've actually been acquiring and watching many notable movies, thats taking time I would have likely spent with games.

Its not necessarily I dont enjoy games. But my time is limited and many years of gaming has created some fatigue. A break is sometimes needed.

I have been replaying Shenmue 1 though. Even though its been many years since I last played it, I still know basically everything I need to do and story. That's more like nostalgia and I do look forward to Shenmue 3.

Meanwhile God of War didnt grab my attention as much as I hoped. It just fees like another game to slog through, albeit a well polished game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I struggle with being on the internet too much, and sometimes it really cuts into my gametime. Most of the time, when I post here, I"m somewhere where I can't play games anyway. But on some days, I'll just sit on my computer and run around the internet all day, instead of playing games. Its a bad habit that I picked up in my college years.