Nathan Drake 20 31.75%

Ratchet and Clank 4 6.35%

Helghast 0 0%

Sackboy 7 11.11%

Other 7 11.11%

Total:63
Shiken said:
BoseDK said:

Yes, not every Zelda game sells like those 3, and not every game with Mario in it sells great either, but the point I'm making is that only these old Nintendo IPs are able to get critical acclaim and sell huge numbers. Nintendo's devs just don't have what it takes to get results without nostalgia it seems.

Except they did get critical acclaim and sell huge numbers.  Splatoon 2 likely has a 50% attach rate when you factor in digital.  That is HUGE, and when Sony only had 20 mil consoles in the wild, it failed go come close to those numbers with any of their 1st party games.

He's not exactly right but he's not exactly wrong, either.

Let's imagine a Playstation platform without an IP more than two generations old.  Could they pull it off?  Yeah, probably.  

On the other hand, let's imagine a Nintendo platform without an IP more than two generations old.  Could they pull it off?  In terms of quality, probably.  In terms of sales, I have my doubts.  

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Shiken said:

Except they did get critical acclaim and sell huge numbers.  Splatoon 2 likely has a 50% attach rate when you factor in digital.  That is HUGE, and when Sony only had 20 mil consoles in the wild, it failed go come close to those numbers with any of their 1st party games.

Let's imagine a Playstation platform without an IP more than two generations old.  Could they pull it off?  Yeah, probably.  

On the other hand, let's imagine a Nintendo platform without an IP more than two generations old.  Could they pull it off?  In terms of quality, probably.  In terms of sales, I have my doubts.  

Thing is, that is nothing but baseless assumption.  There are no facts to support that Nintendo would not be able to pull it off.

There are two factors to consider however.  At one point in time, those old IPs were new IPs.  They did it then, so they could do it again if need be.  The other is that no matter how you slice it, Nintendo makes good games.  These are the only facts we have.  Anything else is pure speculation most likely based on the opinion of the person making them, and not a reflection of fact.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

This guy:

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

can't say that sony has a mascot at the moment....the only i have ever seen a sony mascot was crash bandicoot...

I don't think any of those characters come close to being a mascot. Drake is just a normal human - boring. Kratos just doesn't convey the message that one wants from a mascot. Ratchet & Clank have some good characteristics, but they just aren't significant characters in 2018. The others aren't even in the ballpark. Nobody knows who they are.

Spiderman - uhhh, Sony would love it if they could get people to associate Spidey with PS. But, he so predates PS that this idea is laughable.

As far as I'm concerned, PS doesn't have, and doesn't need a mascot. That doesn't mean there will never be one. But, there's nothing in the ballpark now, and there is no reason for Sony to try to create one at this point. If it happens, it will happen by accident, when some character (that has characteristics that Sony wants in a mascot) gains mainstream popularity.

Around the Network

Sony's Mascot = Naughty Dog 3 Time Undisputed Overall Goty Champion over 600+ goty awards heck if TLOU part 2 wins Overall Goty ND will become the only developer to have 2 franchises with multiple Goty victories, and for sure they have made the most recognizable PS characters Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Nathan Drake, Joel and Ellie ND is one of the most recognized and critically acclaimed developers of all time.

But even then I think its unfair to all the other Sony developers who just like ND are creating New I.P's every gen and creating new fresh faces every PlayStation character plays a vital role in the success of the console and in their right are mascots of the company, from Cole Mcgrath, Kessler, Sir Dan Fortesque, Nariko, Nathan Hale, Ratchet and Clank, Blasto, Parappa The Rapper, Kratos, Emmet Graves, Markus Kane(Sweet Tooth), Dart, Aries, Zeus, Zoran Lazarevic, Eddie Raja, Scholar Visari, Kutaro, Wander Chop Chop Master Onion, Ethan Mars, Jodie Holmes etc.

Then we have new blood for this gen, Knack, Delsin Rowe, Sam Porter bridges, Jinn, Greyson Sir Galahad, Deacon St John, Spiderman, Atreus, Connor, Markus, Kara, Hunter Bloodbourne and more to come.

Kratos though Drake did pass the baton on to him. Sony switches it up every gen. PS1-> Crash, PS2-> Jak/Sly/Ratchet, PS3-> Nathan Drake, PS4-> Kratos

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

No company has one single mascot anymore. Each company now has a pantheon of characters that represent the company. You have to take a look at which characters you would add to that and see if they reflect how people view the company. Sony, in my opinion, has a wide and good range of characters, but they are added and dropped too fast. Crash not being at the forefront you can understand, since he no longer is bound to just the Playstation platform, but a character like Sack boy, are just gone for no reason. Perhaps Sony just looks at sales of particular franchises and decides to move on from it completely.

ShadowSoldier said:
Kratos though Drake did pass the baton on to him. Sony switches it up every gen. PS1-> Crash, PS2-> Jak/Sly/Ratchet, PS3-> Nathan Drake, PS4-> Kratos

Kratos was Sony's mascot on PS2 as well. God of War games sold well above the games you mentioned on PS2, and was more revolutionary than any of them.

Kratos even in his PS2 days was iconic. He made his appearance in Soulcalibur, Mortal Kombat and was at the front of the cover on PlayStation All Stars in his old format. Ratchet and Clank is comparatively B rate in popularity and critical reception and Jak and Sly are far too niche to be considered as mascots.

Shiken said:
pokoko said:

Thing is, that is nothing but baseless assumption.  There are no facts to support that Nintendo would not be able to pull it off.

There are two factors to consider however.  At one point in time, those old IPs were new IPs.  They did it then, so they could do it again if need be.  The other is that no matter how you slice it, Nintendo makes good games.  These are the only facts we have.  Anything else is pure speculation most likely based on the opinion of the person making them, and not a reflection of fact.

"They did it once, they can do it again," is not a fact.  If it were a fact, then the same sports teams would win every year, Sony could replicate the success of the Walkman at their leisure, Atari would be running the gaming industry, and we'd have far fewer developers go out of business.  That's as much an assumption as anything else, especially considering the gaming environment is much different now.