By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Divinity OS2: Definitive edition is pure perfection. Best RPG ever?

I ..

Own Divinity os2 and will return. 3 12.00%

Will be buying the definitive edition. 7 28.00%

Won't be buying. 7 28.00%

Interested and may buy in the future. 8 32.00%

Comments/Indifferent/Middle America... 0 0%

Total:25

Well, OP, the original version is amazing on Acts 1 and 2 indeed. The main weakness of this game is the later acts, which seemed rushed compared to the previous ones: smaller in map size and with fewer quests, and knocked the game from like a 9.5 to an 8 to me (and a lot of people, really). They said there were major improvements to those, but we'll see. Not sure I'll double dip yet, anyway, considering I played this game less than a year ago.

Around the Network

^^^ All I see in that "review" are terrible writing skills, over exaggerations and lack of knoweldge about past games from the genre.

John2290 said:
HoloDust said:
^^^ All I see in that "review" are terrible writing skills, over exaggerations and lack of knoweldge about past games from the genre.

If you see anything else that isn't meant to take the piss out of people like me who get all to excited about DOS2 and DOS then the obvious joke has gone over your head. I've seen people on the internet loke that whk call others casual for not liking Crpg's and DoS or Pillars, it's an often brought up point from the master race elitists against 'console peasents' as the call them who ovbiously 'don't know how to be a gamer' as they're so casual.anyway, K only copy pasted it because I thought  It was pretty funny.... and I totally, absolutely agree with it... 100%, no BS i agree with every word, all other games shouldbe banned except Dos 1&2

Yeah, I know it's a satirical piece, even Jim Sterling took a potshot at people who were claiming such things - though, it is very true that RPGs that are emulating classic CRPGs from Interplay''s golden era are not something that mainstream gamers might find too appealing or very easy to play.

Computer RPGs were always very niche genre, DOS2 is indeed core RPG game...best ever? No, not really, but up there with the best.

John2290 said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, I know it's a satirical piece, even Jim Sterling took a potshot at people who were claiming such things - though, it is very true that RPGs that are emulating classic CRPGs from Interplay''s golden era are not something that mainstream gamers might find too appealing or very easy to play.

Computer RPGs were always very niche genre, DOS2 is indeed core RPG game...best ever? No, not really, but up there with the best.

Oh you mean my OP and not thw Mecaeitic guy. Well it's subjective yeah, I've played almost all of the notable and acclaimed CRPG's since the 90's and DOS 2 is the pinnacle in my opion, I would have still given leeway to stuff like BG and NWN but DOS2 beats them.

As for my spelling and grammar, I use my phone and it doesn't exactly work properly work VGchartz often scrammling my sentences or auto correcting words to the wrong spelling or conplete gibberish at times, like when I spell 'with' it auto corrects it to 'whit' and I'm usually to laxy to edit. Other users have similar problems with Vgchartz on mobile. 

Just because someone likes a game released in 2017 over a game of the same genre in the 90's or early 00's doesn't negate the fact that they were great games back then but standing against DoS 1&2 and 2 in 2018? None of them stand a chance and that's a great thing, it means the genre continues to be elevated and is kept alive even if it's niche. 

Nah, I was actually commenting that MC "review".

It's really great game, though I still find Planescape: Torment to be the best from this particular subgenre of RPGs, though I personally prefer Fallout 1/2 over Planescape.

John2290 said:
HoloDust said:

Nah, I was actually commenting that MC "review".

It's really great game, though I still find Planescape: Torment to be the best from this particular subgenre of RPGs, though I personally prefer Fallout 1/2 over Planescape.

Oh yeah, fallout 1 was fantastic except for the timer. Never could finish that game without it running out of time. Planescape is actually one of the few I haven't played but I did love tides of Numanera so I guess It'd be right up there, how does planescape hold up today? I mean, it's great looking back on game in retrospect and jusdging them for the time they released but when you put a recent game up agaonst them it's kind of hard to over look the quality of life improvments and refinement of systems over the years. I would love to play it though regardless, might have time before Red dead 2.

To be honest, it's been a helluva long, long time since i've played Planescape: Torment, so I can't really say how it holds up today - I remember I was really fascinated by the writing (Chris Avellone's masterpiece) and its strange world. But going by RPGCodex' list of best RPGs, it seems that lot of people agree that it's best RPG ever made - I'm not so sure about that myself, maybe in this particular subgenre, though as I said, FO1/2 are my personal favorites when it comes to isometric party-based RPGs (hint for FO1: buy water caravan in Hub, it will give you 100 more days).

Around the Network

I came back to it today, played for 8 hours straight on a new campaign ( have already finished the game twice ). I'm trying to check out every little new thing they have added in the definitive edition but even the old stuff I've already experienced is still plenty of fun on this 3rd playthrough. Definitely a special game which I will always remember.

You know if you can't get enough you should also try Divinity ego draconis (dragon knight saga) it is probably cheap on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmowUhEmzQ

And if you don't mind RTS also Divinity dragon commander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWeI5bECws (Angry joe loved it :p)

I love turn based games, and I also love slow games that have a strong story, narrative and battle system.But for some reason the first Divinity never hooked me, and it was oddly way too slow and kind of obtuse for me(my opinion anyways).

But happy that people is enjoying this.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I might try it again. I'll have to take Steam out of Offline mode, though, which is a pain.

Not looking forward to playing the prison island again, though. Hated that place. It was all about EXP scrounging.

This game is a worthy contender for the best game of all time in my opinion. Everything in this game is executed very well. It looks amazing all quests are great, dialogue is amazing. You have many classes, items and skills and no battle is the same and there are so many things to do and explore. Also this game doesn't hold your hand go explore and find things out on your own instead of having everything pointed out for you is really great and refreshing.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar